Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews

Used Ranger for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...21

Pros
Cons

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab

2001 Ranger, 08/03/2009
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased vehicle new, had virtually no problems until 115K miles. In last 8 months, I have had to replace the fuel pump, cost $700 w/Labor, and both front wheel bearings about 3 months apart, cost $450 each w/labor. Had to buy a complete assembly just to replace the wheel bearings. So much for Ford's "better ideas". Gas mileage is crappy, averages 15-17 mpg in daily commutes. Although it has gotten 21 mpg on trips, with a bed cover in place. A 4.0 litre engine in a mid-sized truck should get better mileage. A neighbor had a 1980 full- sized model F-100, with a 4th gear o/d manual tranny that got 29 mpg on the highway. Now the transmission at nearly 119K is giving signs of needing a rebuild.

Great used truck

Captain, 09/12/2008
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a great truck. I paid less than 6500 for it and am very satisfied. Only problem to date is a airbag warning light. Right doors rattled a bit but tightening them resolved. Great styling, great looks. I would recommend it to anyone.

Not Flashy But Gets The Job Done

joncman, 09/23/2009
4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car since new and it's not the flashiest beast out there, but man it does what it needs to do. I've had lots of cars in my lifetime with lots of fancy features so I decided to buy a truck for once in my life. Got the Ranger because I didn't need a super powerful truck. I have not regretted it once. This thing goes and goes and goes. The only mechanical that has ever gone wrong with it was the wiper motor conked out on me. I drove a 2008 F-150 the other day and it had about every bell and whistle you could get on it, but, $42,000....YIKES....I'll stick with the little'ol'Ranger thank you very much.

Last of a breed

Don, 04/12/2008
4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used when my beloved 86 F150 finally died. I bought the Ranger as I only have a 6ft garage door on the new house and the new full size trucks just dont fit. I love this truck. No it's not flashy like the current trucks out there, but it slugs it out with em all. Fuel mileage imprived by 1-2 mpg when I installed a KN filter. The stepside bed doesnt hold much,but when I need to haul crap I borrow my brothers chevy (afterall isnt that what chevies are for?) It still looks current I dont like the grille setup on the new Rangers. I put Micheleins on it and the wet handling went up a 100%. This truck is gonna stay in the fleet for a long time. A shame Ford is dropping it.

164000 miles and still kickin

Ncbmxpro, 06/02/2009
2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck new in 2001. I have 164,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Besides oil changes, tires, fuel and air filters, and some light bulbs I have only needed to replace the spark plugs and wires, and distribution cap. Not too bad for an 8 year old truck. And I havent babied this thing either. I have had body damage repaired three times and replaced a rim after hitting a curb at 50mph when the truck was only 2 years old.

12345...21