Used 1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Daily Driver
By Todd

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have the 4 cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. Take off is slow, but once in 3rd gear it will start moving out. I use this as a daily driver as well as "work" truck around the farm. For what it sacrifices in power it more thenm makes up with gas mileage. I don't abuse it, but like a Timex, it takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

Great truck, but precious owner hadn't taken care
By Anthony Beal

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I loved my ranger, but the previous owner didn't take good care of it. That being said, it was quite reliable for the year and was a great commute vehicle. It's a great trick for someone who wants both a trick and halfway decent gas mileage. I would definitely buy another one, but if want a six cylinder in a newer year.

Reluctant to buy, Happy I did.
By Brian

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I almost didn't buy this truck, as it had a lot of miles on it. After a lengthy test drive, the truck felt solid, shifted nice, and drove very well, so I did buy. I've had it for some time now (a few months - actually it's my winter beater/rainy day driver), and it's just passed over 250,000 miles. The 2.3 liter engine uses no oil between oil changes, and makes no funny noises. It's a little short on power, but it's more than made up for that with it's relentless reliability. I see these trucks everywhere, and they are, figuratively speaking, a dime a dozen. I looked at Toyota, but they resale they hold is insane, which I'm told is due to the longevity of their engines. I know I haven't owned it for an extended amount of time (years), but I would say, money spent, the four cylinder Ranger is as good, or better than the, incredibly overpriced Toyota's out there.

97 Ranger 4cyl 5 speed still runs great 143k
By dalebass3

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck 2 years ago.
I knew it needed a slave cylinder just didn't realize it was inside the tranny.
So I had a mechanic buddy do it and replace the clutch and rear main seal while he was at it.
Has run great since.
Only problem is the A/C.
It wasn't working when I got it.
Found a big hole in the condenser and then it worked for a couple days but then sprung a new leak in another line with the new found pressure.
This seems to be a pretty common problem.
Engine runs great for its age.
I see a ton of these on the road

Not bad
By Jason94519

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had the truck for a little over a year, put almost 12,000 miles on it and not a hitch. Bought it with 142,000 and was a bit weary, but got a great cost and I know the Ranger reputation to be good.

Reliability - hasn't hiccuped yet.

Power. That is the one thing that I can't stand about this truck. I have the 5 speed manual, and there it is the most sluggish thing I've ever driven. But it gets me where I'm going, even if I have to downshift on a slight grade.