2017 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

TOTAL JUNK
By Ken

2017 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I hate the day I bought this thing. It even came with a dead battery. Dealer had to replace it. Another dealer tried to stick me with a new tire said it had a nail In it turned out to be a small rock. Memory seats don't work right. WILL NEVER CONSIDER BUYING A FORD PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!

3.5mm audio jack missing
By Ricky

2017 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Starting in 2016 the Fusion doesn’t have an input 3.5mm audio jack. It was replaced with a 2.0 USB plug in. Very frustrating because all converters I tried for USB to 3.5 won’t work with Ford Sync. Im an Uber driver and my riders can’t plug in anymore. Bluetooth for every rider, give me a break.
However, I do recommend the Ford Fusion for the American made quality car that it is. This is my second Fusion and will probably get a third. I noticed the biggest difference compared to foreign cars like camry or accord is the ride quality. After 100k miles my Fusion still rolls over bumps and pot holes like it was nothing. After 150k miles on my Fusion, It’s the main reason I bought another one. In a Camry the ride quality decreases after 60k miles. Might as well throw it in the garbage.
In addition I like the heavy doors on the Fusion and overall heaviness of the car. It helps hold the road better. I’ve been getting between 40-60 mpg on the new Fusion Hybrid. So very happy there. Just one last thing I wish the Ford Engineers would move the window lock button on the drivers door somewhere else because my finger always locks the windows when I use my window. Overall highly recommend the Fusion. And it will never break down.

3.5mm audio jack missing
By Ricky

Worst car I've ever owned in the past 20+ years
By Charlie H

2017 Ford Fusion Sport w/EcoBoost 4dr Sedan AWD (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The Fusion Sport's only saving grace is the 2.7L EcoBoost V6. It is 99% the same engine as the one used in the F-150, with a few minor differences like turbo brand/packaging and the lack of an engine oil cooler on the car. Otherwise, it is the same engine. Unfortunately, the engine is a gas guzzler where I average 15-17 miles per gallon and coupled with a tiny fuel tank (18.6 gal according to the spec), I'm well under 300 miles to the tank. All of the EcoBoost engines (except for 17-up F-series with the port and direct injection) will require manual cleaning of the intake valves after 30k miles or so due to the design of the engine. Additives, techron, will not solve anything as it will never touch the valves (Do a Google search). The 6F55 transmission is the same one used in the Taurus SHO, Explorer Sport, and regular Taurus/Explorers - yet it shifts horribly in the Fusion Sport. Everything is delayed like it has no clue what it is doing, launches take forever, and the actual shifting takes forever. A regular 2018 Explorer XLT (base model) with the towing package comes with the same 6F55, but it feels like a sports car tuned transmission compared to the sluggish Fusion Sport. The LED headlights are abysmal as they illuminate 5 feet in front of the car even when properly aimed, and the LED foglights are an absolute joke as they illuminate a few inches in front of the bumper. I noticed Ford uses the same exact LED foglights on other vehicles like the Explorer as well. I recommend skipping these if they are an option. The trunk space is an absolute joke. I have trouble fitting my single golf bag, let alone another golf bag or a Clicgear cart. For groceries, it is difficult to find room to secure everything. The car doesn't come with a cargo net, but there are 4 protruding nubs in the trunk for the cargo net, and these nubs snag on everything from grocery bags to bag straps, etc... It is a very poorly designed trunk. These are just complaints I have, and I haven't started on the real problems. The power windows have a mind of their own. On occasion, they will not roll all the way up and automatically go back down. It's not fun when I'm on the freeway doing 70 mph and trying to keep my windows up. The sunroof also likes to stay up sometimes because it keeps "detecting" an obstruction. I also lost a sunroof on the freeway because the wind must have caught it, and it shucked the glass right off the frame and left nice shiny adhesive on the frame (no glass fragments). The dealership blamed me, blamed a rock chip, and then said they'll work with Ford corporate to see what they can do (they didn't do anything). Doing research on the internet, NO AUTOMAKER will warranty the factory glass roofs - the best you can do after threatening lawsuits or social media shaming is that they will pay 50% of the repair costs. Lesson learned: Never ever buy a vehicle with a sunroof or glass roof. I also lost 2 tires during the winter due to pinch flats on the sidewall. The factory tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric All-Season 235/40R19 which are extremely low profile, with extremely soft rubber. Factory air pressure is 39 psi but the sticker says to add 3 psi if driving over 100 mph. I filled them to 39 psi and lost 2 tires back to back. None of the dealerships in the Southeast Michigan area carried this specific tire, and Discount Tire had to special order them for me. None of the Ford dealerships called me back even after I placed an order with them. I have been filling them to 42 psi or higher and have to avoid all potholes. The pothole mitigation technology is a joke, as it is just for the rear tires. The tire rubber is so soft that anything remotely sharp will pierce the tire. I had to pull out a scissor the other day from the tread. I highly recommend 18 inch wheels with the thickest tires you can fit, preferably not Goodyear. Every single tire puncture or failure I've had in the past 2 decades has been a Goodyear/Dunlop (same company) tire. SYNC3 is a massive joke. It has yet to autoupdate on its own via WiFi. Car Play / Android Auto is extremely sluggish with poor video resolution. It just doesn't do anything well. I have an Explorer XLT base model without SYNC or a touchscreen, so i have my Android phone on a vent holder and never ever once missed having SYNC3. In fact, if I were to buy a new vehicle today, it'd be the bare bones base trim with the biggest engine possible. Ford's customer service and dealership network are major drawbacks as well. I will never buy a new Ford in the future.

The Definitive Version of the Ford Fusion!
By Dan Wyke

2017 Ford Fusion Sport w/EcoBoost 4dr Sedan AWD (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the third Ford Fusion that I've owned, out of trade-ins and ups. I wouldn't have purchased another if it weren't for the Sport. I loved my 15 Titanium, best car I ever drove, but this car knocked my socks off when I test-drove it. It is everything I love about the Titanium with the horse power of a Mustang. We'll hit the good stuff first. The car looks incredible, people always ask, "Is that a Fusion?" The mesh grille, LED lights, quad tip exhaust, and rims set this car apart from the other trim models. Really, this is a different car entirely from the other trims. The power is amazing, hitting the pedal results in some serious fun for a 4 door sedan. In car entertainment and technology is very streamlined, with the exception of the ever-behind-the-times navigation system. I use Apple CarPlay and let my phone do the navigating when necessary. I also find the bluetooth pairing to be cumbersome and sometimes unreliable, so I just don't use it. The seats are comfortable enough for a 4+ hour drive. Now the not-so-good stuff, I don't say bad because I haven't found anything bad about this car yet. The transmission is weird in its shift points, mainly between 2nd and 3rd. The steering doesn't inspire, but it gets the job done. Brakes could use a minor upgrade due to the weight of the car, especially the rears. Overall, this is the best car I've ever owned, so much so that I have put a good deal of money on mods improving the look and performance of it even more. I don't normally "invest" in a car, but I love this little monster!