2018 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

New Truck Buyer Disappointment
By Seth

2018 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 10A)

There are several things I would like to cover here of all aspects of this truck. But let me begin with my purchasing process. I was so excited when I test drove this truck. It was so spacious and comfortable and the price was right so I got it. I am now about 2 months into buying it and I wish I would have got a Dodge. For one, the electronics are as low as can be in a modern vehicle. There is no heat seater, the backup camera is smaller than my hand, no Sirius XM, etc. The electronics are basic, so don't expect anything wonderful there. The AutoStart/AutoStop that Ford is putting in so many of their vehicles today SUCKS. I can not complain enough about this freaking thing. The vehicle will not remember that I turned AutoStart off, so by default, Ford has it on. So every time I start my truck I have to turn it off so I don't destroy the starter every 10 months. Another thing: I just changed my oil for the first time and the drain plug and filter could not have been designed in a more stupid place. They drain plug has some stabilizer bar 2 inches in front of it so good luck getting your hand in there. And when you do finally get the plug loose, oil shoots out and hits the bar and splatters all over the place so make sure you have plenty of rags and paper towels handy. The filter sits right on top of some metal body work and has tubes hanging right around it so it is hard to turn and oil falls all over the metal piece there. I just had the service engine light come on and plugged in a handy code tool to see what the error was. Turns out there is a misfire in one of my cylinders and some other problem with the cam shaft. Overall this truck has been a nightmare and am possibly thinking about selling. Sad thing is, this was my first truck and I had such high expectations. So disappointed

STX, fun to drive
By John

2018 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

The STX model is fun to drive in the sport mode. Acceleration is great, can't believe it has a 2.7 engine. The interior is plain but functional with the lack of carpeting. Extra features are disappointing on a truck costing almost $50,000. Manual seats, no heated seats or heated mirrors. The heating system is manual knobs and very basic with no individual settings or rear seat controls. The large screen display is nice but there is no GPS or installed Sirius radio. Several apps including GPS can be viewed on the display through phone apps. It does include a rear view camera but there is no proximity warning alarms. The gas mileage is good for a full size truck but I have yet to reach the advertised mileage even in eco-mode. There is plenty of rear seat room and with the fold up rear seats there is plenty of interior storage.The truck does not take bumps well at all. Highway driving is fine but you will be disappointed on most city streets. I am leasing this truck but I would not purchase at the $47,000 sticker price.

Best selling but not necessarily the best overall
By Sam

2018 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 10A)

Don't get me wrong...I really like my F-150. I have had other trucks (Dodge, Chevy) and the competition is very stiff (much like the ride of my Ford. Overall, it is a great truck...the reason I bought it was because I got a deal I couldn't pass up, otherwise, I would have shopped around. I like driving it...it has great handling and the room inside the Crew Cab is crazy...especially for the back seat passengers...they could be sitting at home in a lounge chair and have less room...probably the thing I find the least pleasing is the ride. I had a Dodge 1500 that had a way better ride when hitting bumps. Would I buy another one? Sure...if the deal is right, I'd be back on the Ford bandwagon!!

lug nuts
By tom

2018 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCab 6.5 ft. SB (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

all f 150 lug nuts are caps and after tire rotation they get damaged and the socket wont fit the lug . Ford needs to change to solid lug nuts not hollow caps pressed on . You could be in big trouble if you get a flat and dont know the lug capped was damaged at your last tire rotation , your stuck call a tow truck. Also when left out over night my starter sticks only when cold start in morning . Dealer looking into cause . Also two recalls door latches and seat belt fires dealer will repair . Other than that great tuck.

Nice Truck; Lousy 10 Speed Auto. Transmission
By Wayne D.

2018 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

The good points: got a great price from dealer; paid under $40,000 with a $50,000 plus sticker. Very sharp looking truck. 2.7 liter V-6 has great acceleration. Good but not great interior finishes. Rides nice for a truck. Pulls my boat well. The ugly points: the 10 speed transmission is extremely annoying; it often can't decide what gear it wants to be in; noticeable clunks when downshifting from say 5th to 3rd speed; just plain too much shifting going on; have my doubts whether the transmission will last in the long run. The stop/start feature is just a gimmick; does not seem to save any fuel; can't turn if off permanently. Handling/steering is too loose; have to pay extra attention not to wander off the road; maybe because the truck is so light. I have developed a couple rattles already; will see what the dealer does about them. Bottomline: the truck is not the fun-to-drive truck I thought I was buying. Should have spent more time with the test driving experience. I would not buy this truck knowing what I know now.