Used 2016 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Clumsy defroster and fan controlls. Noisy sunroof
By Dennis Troemel

2016 Ford F-150 Platinum 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GPS is outdated when you buy the truck and can't find a lot of places that my iphone 6 can. The defroster and fan controls are hard to find without taking your eyes off the road. The twin panel sunroof stopped working and doesn't shut correctly at 48,000 miles when the truck was only 2 years old and the dealer wants big money to fix it. (over $1500). This is a common problem if you search it on the web. The retracting running boards also started acting up at 2 years.

Unreliable and quirky
By Brett Meyer

2016 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCab 8 ft. LB (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have the ‘16, XL, 2.7 liter ecoboost, with 6.6 ft bed, and the sport package. I drive 99% city driving. And get marginal gas mileage at 14 mpg (I am anything but a lead foot).
I have put less than 5000 miles on this vehicle and it has been into the shop twice. The first time because the auto start-stop quit working for a few weeks, then suddenly started working again causing the truck to turn off in traffic, and not start again when I took my foot off the brake. Had I beed in stop-n-go traffic on the highway, this would have been very dangerous. The dealership said it was a faulty battery. That doesn’t instill much confidence that this problem won’t happen again in the future as batteries don’t last forever.
The second time it went to the shop, the a/c quit working. When they got to it at the dealership 2 days later, it was suddenly working again with no explanation as to why it would do this.
Furthermore, this truck is full of quirks.
The back up camera sometimes just doesn’t work.
The Sync system sometimes just doesn’t work.
The 911 assist notification sometimes comes on when you start
the vehicle and doesn’t go away, preventing use of the infotainment system.
The brake pedal always squeaks.
When the auto start-stop system turns the truck back on, it idles extremely rough with a lot of vibration and shake going through the vehicle.
The battery is too small for the auto start-stop system. The truck rarely ever shuts off as long as a single red light. A larger battery might actually make the system add some fuel savings to vehicle.
All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this truck to anybody. I’m already looking forward to the day that I trade it in on something that is more reliable and without all the quirkiness.

F-150 has severe ghost electrical issues
By Steve K

2016 Ford F-150 Limited 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2016 Ford F150 Limited with 23,000 miles on it. I have had repeated electrical problems with it. Apparently the gateway module gets shorted out and causes the running boards to stop working, the HVAC to stop, the power windows to stop, the air bag lights to come on and tire pressure sensors to freak out. Those are the items that I know don't work.

This has happened 7 times. The first time it happened was at 8000 miles and now it has happened 4 times in the last 4 months. At first the dealers kept telling me it was a problem with the plug on the Gateway Module, but all they were doing was resetting it and sending me on my way. Telling me I was luck they didn't charge me because plugging in the module is not covered by warranty. Finally the 3rd dealer replaced the Gateway Module and 3 weeks later the electronics go out again. This time I opened a 4th ticket with Ford Dispute Resolution and they sent out an Engineer from Deerborn, MI. The engineer worked on it for 2 days and replaced the Gateway module again. 2 weeks later the electrical went out again.

I finally started the Lemon Law proceeding with the State of Texas and now Ford is treating me like a criminal and have not contacted me in 2 weeks. My truck has been sitting at the dealer broken.

I just want them to trade me into a new one or buy it back. Ford refused to do so and said we have to wait for Lemon Law hearing, as if they are going to fight it.

Not built Ford tough
By Kelly D

2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

The looks of this truck sold me, but I should have done more research before buying. I currently own the 2016 XLT V8 with the 302A luxury package. Initially this truck was everything I wanted. It rides great and has amazing power. However... after about 2 months of ownership I have received two recalls and the interior is starting to show its sign of cheapness. The first recall I received was for the door latches. In the winter, anytime it gets below freezing the door latches will freeze preventing you from either opening the door or closing it. The mechanism seems to collect moisture and does not latch properly when it gets too cold. This has costed me some serious time in the morning trying to figure out how to get to work without working doors.

The second recall was for the front seat bolts not being tightened down. This will potentially cause the seats to move during an accident.

The worst part about the recalls have the lack of service that Ford provides. In Washington, most dealerships only do recalls on certain days so the wait times for getting this done are nearly a month out and they refuse to work with your schedule or offer a loaner vehicle. It has been frustrating to say the least.

Lastly, the center console sliding piece has come off the track and does not close all the way. It’s not a big deal, but for a 40K truck I expected a lot better.

Overall I think the truck is fine, but if you’re a going to buy a 2015-2017 F150 make sure there are no recalls!

Good Solid Vehicle
By Chris P.

2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Drives well, looks good, lots of power. Commuting gas mileage is good for SuperCrew Truck. Avg 21 mpg. Often tow a 7500 lb trailer. 3.5L Ecoboost tows like a champ, but gas mileage drops to avg 9.6 mpg with that load. Been a very good truck so far. Haul heavy items in the bed (bedliner). No problems, no repairs needed or issues.