Used 2016 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Panoramic Roof has major problems
By 2016 F-150 may be my last

2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 5.5 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am a lifelong Ford truck driver, starting with a late 70s Bronco and then a early 90s F-150, but I am very disappointed with the 2016 F150. Taking the cautious approach to the new body and style, leasing was the best way to assess resale. The truck has been great - ride, power, comfort, and styling, BUT after about 14 months the water issue began. The panoramic roof began leaking and to this day, it continues to leak along the passenger's side A pillar and into the cabin. Thanks to video and photographic proof, and five attempts to fix this problem, it is now a lemon. I have no interest in the 10 speed transmission or the engine shut off at the stop light, so I am not certain Ford will be the next purchase once the slow as a snail replacement process comes to a close. Ford has a problem, not only with customer service. As a two car family, they are slowly loosing not only this purchase, but also the second car for my wife.

An F-150 to Love
By Jerry Dittmann

2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second King Ranch F-150 and I have loved both of them. This one has a 5.5 foot bed and the first had a 6.5 foot bed. The 5.5 fits in my garage with no problems. The truck is very comfortable to travel in and I prefer it on longer trips. My wife likes it because you sit up and have great visibility. I love the sound and overall performance of the 5.0 engine. The gas mileage is good with the 5.0 and I run it on regular gas. My wife chose the King Ranch model as she really likes the look and the space of the interior. I think the truck is quiet and the HVAC systems work well. I have done some light towing with it and experienced no problems with it. The four wheel drive system works well both in winter weather conditions and light off road. Service has been routine and our Ford dealership has been very helpful. Last but not least, I think the truck is great looking with the two tone paint and the running boards that fold up against the body.

Clumsy defroster and fan controlls. Noisy sunroof
By Dennis Troemel

2016 Ford F-150 Platinum 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

The GPS is outdated when you buy the truck and can't find a lot of places that my iphone 6 can. The defroster and fan controls are hard to find without taking your eyes off the road. The twin panel sunroof stopped working and doesn't shut correctly at 48,000 miles when the truck was only 2 years old and the dealer wants big money to fix it. (over $1500). This is a common problem if you search it on the web. The retracting running boards also started acting up at 2 years.

Unreliable and quirky
By Brett Meyer

2016 Ford F-150 XL 4dr SuperCab 8 ft. LB (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have the ‘16, XL, 2.7 liter ecoboost, with 6.6 ft bed, and the sport package. I drive 99% city driving. And get marginal gas mileage at 14 mpg (I am anything but a lead foot).
I have put less than 5000 miles on this vehicle and it has been into the shop twice. The first time because the auto start-stop quit working for a few weeks, then suddenly started working again causing the truck to turn off in traffic, and not start again when I took my foot off the brake. Had I beed in stop-n-go traffic on the highway, this would have been very dangerous. The dealership said it was a faulty battery. That doesn’t instill much confidence that this problem won’t happen again in the future as batteries don’t last forever.
The second time it went to the shop, the a/c quit working. When they got to it at the dealership 2 days later, it was suddenly working again with no explanation as to why it would do this.
Furthermore, this truck is full of quirks.
The back up camera sometimes just doesn’t work.
The Sync system sometimes just doesn’t work.
The 911 assist notification sometimes comes on when you start
the vehicle and doesn’t go away, preventing use of the infotainment system.
The brake pedal always squeaks.
When the auto start-stop system turns the truck back on, it idles extremely rough with a lot of vibration and shake going through the vehicle.
The battery is too small for the auto start-stop system. The truck rarely ever shuts off as long as a single red light. A larger battery might actually make the system add some fuel savings to vehicle.
All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this truck to anybody. I’m already looking forward to the day that I trade it in on something that is more reliable and without all the quirkiness.

F-150 has severe ghost electrical issues
By Steve K

2016 Ford F-150 Limited 4dr SuperCrew 4WD 5.5 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2016 Ford F150 Limited with 23,000 miles on it. I have had repeated electrical problems with it. Apparently the gateway module gets shorted out and causes the running boards to stop working, the HVAC to stop, the power windows to stop, the air bag lights to come on and tire pressure sensors to freak out. Those are the items that I know don't work.

Update: After 4 months of FIGHTING with Ford. They wanted me to pay them $7,000 to take back the truck. We fought another month and I got them to give me back $1500 and I returned the car as a lemon. The Texas Lemon Law is not what you would expect. I almost think it hurt my negotiation with Ford, because now that Ford knew they were being watched they had to follow all the rules and the Lemon Law is NOT consumer friendly.

This has happened 7 times. The first time it happened was at 8000 miles and now it has happened 4 times in the last 4 months. At first the dealers kept telling me it was a problem with the plug on the Gateway Module, but all they were doing was resetting it and sending me on my way. Telling me I was luck they didn't charge me because plugging in the module is not covered by warranty. Finally the 3rd dealer replaced the Gateway Module and 3 weeks later the electronics go out again. This time I opened a 4th ticket with Ford Dispute Resolution and they sent out an Engineer from Deerborn, MI. The engineer worked on it for 2 days and replaced the Gateway module again. 2 weeks later the electrical went out again.

I finally started the Lemon Law proceeding with the State of Texas and now Ford is treating me like a criminal and have not contacted me in 2 weeks. My truck has been sitting at the dealer broken.

I just want them to trade me into a new one or buy it back. Ford refused to do so and said we have to wait for Lemon Law hearing, as if they are going to fight it.