2021 Ford Explorer Hybrid Consumer Reviews

$49,855

Save as much as $1,154
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Lots of BUGS, but generally a Good truck.

M King, 04/29/2021
Limited Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 10A)

High level takeaway- it’s fine. Comfortable, plenty of power when you need it, lots of room for a family of 5 road tripping and the hybrid system gets decent mileage. It’s not “fun” to drive, but it’s comfortable and confident on the road. With more than 2,500 miles in 2 months the average mpg has settled at 25mpg of both highway and local driving. I drive in the eco mode 90% of the time. The hybrid function feels clunky compared to the standard turbo 4 or the 6. Not a big deal, and it’s nice when the engine shuts down for a few miles of the low speed/low rpm driving. Cons - I returned the truck 3 times in the first 3 weeks I had it. It spent 18 of its first 30 days at the dealership. They finally figured out the amp was bad and cutting all audio (gps, radio, phone, etc). The electronics have issues occasionally- I’ve learned to never plug in my phone until the onboard computer has warmed up - and just stop working. It’s like an old PC that you have to pull over, shut down, wait and then restart. Pro- The seats are very comfortable, lots of room fir the kids and adults can sit in back without a problem. Storage is better than our MDX, even though they are similar in size. Conclusion- I wouldn’t buy it again, but it will be good for a couple of years and then I will happily trade in for a plug in hybrid. And if they don’t have the bugs of those worked out yet, I’d just go with the turbo 4 Limited or platinum.

I REALLY want to like this SUV

Jon, 06/02/2021
Limited Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 10A)

I shopped the replacement for my Expedition EL, hard. After three of them, i didn't want to go that big and do not believe that the EB can last in such a large SUV. The rising gas prices had me concerned so i went with the Limited Hybrid. I test drove one model that wasn't equipped like i wanted. It drove smooth and great. Then, the dealer ended up having what i wanted. I should've driven it first. It had 189 miles on the clock and within a day, started shaking and hunting for gears. There was a window recall that they remediated, before i bought it. They had me bring it in and cleared out the software that learns how you drive. It was good for two days and started acting up again. The drivers window stopped working and then, after sitting, cleared itself up. This thing would be different with every trip. Jerky operation. Then shaking at 40 MPH, even while coasting. Then a little smoother and hunting for gears. It's like three different cars. Then, the AC started acting like it does when the car is at a light with the engine off, but the engine is running and the AC is poor. Oh, holy cow. I am starting to wonder if they'll get it right. The mileage is good, but YIKES. My wife had a 2009 Escape Hybrid that was bulletproof. Had it for nine fuel sipping years with very minimal trips to the dealer. Maybe 3. The auto writers all say that the new Escape Hybrid is the one to own.

Great drive!

Deb B, 03/07/2021
Limited Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 10A)

I have leased 2 Explorers prior to purchasing my 2021 Hybrid. Am really enjoying the drive but also still learning how the Hybrid works. Am excited to see how the mileage goes, especially with gas prices going up. Great room, and cargo space.

Ad
Build Your Ford Explorer Base
At a Glance:
  • 9 Trims
  • $32,675starting MSRP

Looks stylish, nothing much else

PB, 05/26/2021
Limited Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 10A)

I had a 2018 Explorer Platinum that was excellent. Once the lease was up, I decided to go with the 2021 Hybrid Limited model. INitial test drive was nice and trusting my prior experience with the Explorer, decided to go for this model. Boy did I ever make a mistake. A 50K car shouldn't rattle with only 500 miles on the tach. Rattles everywhere, the electric to hybrid transition is rough, and a very cheap feeling with all the plastic in the interior. Don't buy. Waiting for more issues down the line.