Used 1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

CLASSIC 1991 FORD EXPLORER 4WD 5 SPEED
By AL Smith

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I'VE OWNED MY 1991 SINCE 1991. One of the first off the Assembly Line. BEST VEHICLE I'VE EVER OWNED. 230,000 on original engine and running great. Drivetrain manufactured in Germany in 1990, Normal maintenance. Original spark plugs on the engine. Tranny rebuilt @ 190,000. AC upgrade.

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4
By Andy

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle in February of 2016 from an estate. It is my first Ford product. I figured that it would be reliable considering the great luck my family has had in the past with their Fords. The vehicle had only 64,000 original miles on it. I have put only 4,000 miles on it and it I am constantly fixing something on it. I fix one thing and two more things go wrong. This is a terrible riding vehicle. It will toss you around the inside with every crack in the road you hit. The week after I bought it, I had to replace the tires due to dryrot (no big deal). It had a bad vibration on the highway so I replaced all four shocks. The radio did not work so I had to replace that. The exhaust was rattling so I replaced the whole thing. Both front window regulators went bad in two days. The front coil springs were weak so those needed replaced. The valve cover gaskets were replaced along with a complete tuneup. I retrofitted the A/C system to r134 and it instantly sprung a leak from the condenser 30 minutes later which wasted $50 in freon. So I replaced the condenser next. Most recently, the rear end pinion seal started leaking - fixed that and now the engine cranks for 15 seconds before firing up. The right rear window regulator is slipping and now the window keeps falling down. The transmission occasionally slips from time to time. If you start it up when the engine is good and warm, it will idle very rough for a couple minutes. It leaks engine oil like mad. The vehicle looks like showroom condition BUT I popped off the running boards to find about a foot each rocker was rotted away. The A/C system must have a leak again because the system is low on freon after only 8 months. I am not spending any more money on this one. I had expected it to last a lot longer. I do not trust driving it out of town anymore. Aside from these issues, it is great for hauling anything in. The roof rack is also a great feature too.

d@#m good truck
By gary

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

great truck no problems. all most 400000 miles on it and going strong never had any work done to it. i bought this suv as a beater car just to hold me over but it wont quit. i drive it ever day use it to tow my boat and trailer i even towed a friends chev pickup 1 hour to his house!

head room

a bit of a bumpy ride. the drivers seat cushion needs replacing at 380,000miles.^_^lol

Good Enough
By 73Elsinore

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with 135,000 miles on it and it now has over 220,000. It is still going strong and is completely reliable. Mine has the 5- speed manual. Besides normal maintenance items (brakes, clutch, tires, etc.) I have had to replace both cylinder heads (they cracked - a very common known defect in this particular Ford engine) and the A/C condenser ($450). Besides that, no other repairs. I have off-roaded it many times and it has always done well. It doesn't have much pickup off the line at all. Mileage is crappy, at 14 city/20 hwy. With the new heads, it does not use a drop of oil, which is unusual at this mileage, so the bottom end of the engine is bulletproof.

Good interior fit and finish. Still looks great after 18 years and no busted parts, like on a GM or Asian car.

Improve the horrible cylinder head design. Brakes stink.

Best car ever
By fordforlife

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know raves about a 91 might not seem relevant to newer model purchasers, but I wanted to weigh in on the quality of Ford trucks. My family has never owned another brand. I'm the original owner of this Explorer, it has over 210,000 (hard) miles on it, and the alternator -- which went out last winter -- is the only major thing I've ever had to replace/fix on it. The power windows are starting to malfunction, but the ac/heater works fine, so I compensate. I want a new car, because I'm starting to hesitate to take this one on long road trips (still 4x in it though), but feel duty bound to run it into the ground first. I might actually cry when I have to let it go.

4WD. Reliability. Size -- back before Ford started making the Explorer huge for no reason. Fun to drive. Big enough for dogs and friends and tons of gear. Comfy seats. Can even sleep comfortably in it if need be (leaky tents, etc.)

none. best car ever.