Used 2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 312 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

An Actual honest review
By The knowledgeable driver

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

the 2003 Ford Expedition is decent car for 40,000 when new but compared to todays standards, falls flat on its face in some places Pros: solid build quility for age, decently reliable, reliable transmission, great amount of visibility, and a slight head turner Cons: expensive repairs, awful electrical system, spark plug problems, frequent brake dust on rims, abysmal breaks(though they last awhile), 6 CD changer is worth smashing since its easily broken, gas milage is only better than a chevy suburban, ford excursion, and the hummer, wind noise can be abit loud at times, and rough idling will occur when in higher milage. if you are planning to buy a 2003 ford expedition, i would but don't expect a trouble free SUV, while its better than all its rivals in most departments, it has its issues. and from seeing all the lies in the reviews of people saying they had no issues period, no matter how much you follow the preventive maintenance, you WILL have 2 major issues #1 will be the Extremely expensive repair for the spark plugs shooting out of the cylinder head which costs over 1000$ for all the spark plugs for a non worst case scenario, if it is it will cost nearly 2000$ to also replace the cylinder head and all other parts. #2 is the more frequent part, the "brain" of the vehicle, the best way to tell if it is going out is when your car starts rough idling hard, and then dies, and will become more frequent if then issue isn't resolved.

Ford Expedition- Beauty and the Beast
By Colin B.

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Ok. There has been some issues. Over the past 14 years of ownership, things will go wrong. A/C went out in 2014, spark plug shot out of cylinder in 2013, and I replaced a coil pack/ Alternator in December of 2016. Little rust under the car, not noticeable. The car is great. People complain about "it is not fast". Honey, please don't buy a 3-row full-size SUV and expect it to pick up like an AMG G-Wagon. These cars are now dirt cheap which is awesome. This car at 6000rpm's when you give it some gas will sound fantastic. MPG is poor, but once again honey, this is not a Prius. The car is heavy, great in the snow considering no TCS. The car looks good as well. As I look for a new car, it will be a Ford or Lincoln no doubt.

Awesome SUV
By David R. Feld

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Ford Expedition used. 170,00miles on it. (Eddie Bauer 4X4) We are now getting near 200,000 mile and the SUV runs like new. It preforms with a quite quality that we have not found in other vehicles. My wife and I both love the performance. We planned on trading after we decided whether it was the style for us. That won't happen for quite some time, as this vehicle has exceeded expectations in all ways. The 5.4 liter motor uses no oil between changes and the gas mileage is 15 city and 17 -18.5 highway. I would recommend one of these to any one looking for a reliable vehicle.

I'm Jappy
By David Hylton

2003 Ford Expedition XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2003 with 70,000 on it in 2014. I was going to get a brand new vehicle but this was to good of a deal to pass up because it was a 1 owner vehicle and was literally in new condition. I hadn't had the vehicle for 2 weeks when a drunk driver rear ended me while I was sitting at a red light with my 3 year old and 10 year old kids in the car. Drunk was doing 45mph and the impact was tremendous. He was driving a full size Chevy truck and it was completely totaled. Expedition had 1000 dollars in damage. Not only was I amazed but the police and firefighters couldn't believe it. This thing is a tank!
Mpg is awful but I knew this before I bought it so no surprise there. It rides good and no problems at all. I did change the serpentine belt just as a precaution due to its age. I'm very happy with this vehicle and the 3rd row seats that fold into the floor are a huge plus.

I Think It Willl Run Forever
By ftcollinsco93

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has over 220,000 miles on it, only thing major replaced is the fuel pump, the windshield... 3 times, and a few batteries. Runs like a champ, has a weird issue with the mirror adjusting to an unknown position when unlocked with wireless remote and driver power lock went out at 180k.

Auto-Headlights, 4x4, electric fold seats, Cargo Space