Used 1999 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Cheap on parts and repairs, least cost to drive
By Lisa Grace

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used six years ago. In that time, I've put $700 in parts and labor in it. The parts are very cheap in cost, have never broke down on the side of the road. Tires are not real expensive and easy to find. Has a good survival rating in crashes, It's compact style, makes it easy to maneuver. Very durable car.

Best car for new drivers
By Rob

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned a white 1999 Ford Escort LX back when I was in high school and my first year of college. I have to admit when growing up I always wanted a mustang GT as a first car since it was sporty and since my dad would only let me get a Ford since he works for a Ford dealership. When I heard I was going to the shop to check out my first car I had no clue what it was. When the shop door opened a brand new Saleen Mustang was sitting in the first stall I saw. I scream and ran to it but little did I know before my father corrected me that the Saleen was a customers car. My father pointed to the stall to the back of the shop and there was my escort. At first I was furious it wasn't a mustang but after driving it for a while I am so glad he got me that escort instead of a Mustang. It taught me how to be a better driver and not to mention it was a fun little car despite having a 2.0 SOHC engine. Unfortunately some things happened to my little escort and now I have a Ford Five Hundred. It would still be on the road if I wasn't acting like an idiot but I was going through a rough time in my life when that happened. I will say finding an engine for one that isn't over 100k miles is almost physically impossible. However I would buy this car again if given the chance in the near future to put up and take care of. I loved this car despite not having power windows, power locks, cd player, Bluetooth, or even navigation. I was very content with this car and if you are looking for a first car for your kids I would highly suggest this or a new focus not the first generation of the focus because those where terrible but this car is perfect.

reliable vehicle
By john

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Great car !!!
By andy908

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very good car. With the low price and age, it still runs like a beast. I bought it for $1500 about 6 months ago, runs great. The handling is great, maneuvering is easy, and drives smooth. Mileage is great. I drive about 25 miles a day, have to fill it up every two weeks!!!, about $70/month I use for gas.

The red color sure makes it look sporty! In my opinion its a good looking car (contrary to what other people are saying). Make sure to maintain it well regularly. Aged cars need regular care. The only downside I can think of is its acceleration. Acceleration is not so quick or smooth as other newer cars.

Handling, Control, Safety, Maneuvering, Gas Mileage, Reliability. Good for regular commute.

Acceleration

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

High miles per gallon. Reliable transportation. Front seats can angle super far back that you can practically sleep in the car.

Would be nice if there was an arm rest on the right side of the drivers seat. Would also be good if there was more cup holders for the back seats. It would be really nice to have a bigger gas tank so I don't need to fill it up once a week or two meaning I would fill it up once every 2 to 3 weeks. It also has a cassette player which I don't have any and in today's days there are CD players which would be nice on the car.