Used 2008 Dodge Magnum Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Magnum for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Crazy room, head turning, comfortable

bbarber, 05/21/2010

I'm a big guy, was looking to trade out of an older SUV. I looked at so many makes and models and nothing felt right Then I test drove a Charger just for the curiosity of having a car again after years of stepping up into an SUV. The Charger was nice. Not enough room! Dealer suggested a Chrysler 300. After some research, found that the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Magnum were all built at the same assembly plant in Canada. Same frame, same basic interiors. Saw a Magnum in person. The 2008 is HOT! The look is tough, the interior is comfortable and super spacious. No compromise for me! Got all the room of my old SUV, all the style of a stacked Magnum. 2.7 V6 ok mileage A+ value!

Not your ordinary Mommy Mobile

kiss this, 10/04/2010

I used to drive a Nissan quest, and I had so many issues with the darn thing, I wanted something that would give me the cargo room, without the bulkiness of an SUV. It is so reliable and at the time of purchase the car facts rated it at a 93% and I have not been disappointed. Everything about this vehicle, screams reliability, youthfulness and practicality!

Fantasic Ride

RS, 03/29/2008

Dodge fires the car instead of the people that didn't figure out how to package and market a Fantastic car. I found a rare 29R package with the performance exhaust, seats, wheels, etc. My last two cars were a BMW 5 series and an M3. The Magnum is the best car I have ever owned period! Well controlled ride, quite inside, seats are incredibly comfortable, very powerful and smooth engine and moves the car effortlessly and will do about anything you want, plus in highway driving on my first tank of gas I got 25.6 mi per gallon. Crossovers, the Magnum blows you out of the water. The Magnum does everything better and for less money. What else do you want. I never thought I would own a Dodge WOW!!!

Best Car I've Owned in 50 Years

ocita, 07/26/2013

I special ordered my 2008 Magnum SXT for delivery in the USA while serving in, Afghanistan. It currently has 50K miles on it, most of the miles from long-distance driving. It averages about 27 mpg at 65-70 mph. Out west, at altitudes above 5,000 ft, where the speed limit is 80, the mileage jumps to 33 mpg. Most of the miles on the car have been cross country. I was stopped by a police officer only once. The officer only wanted was to know the name of the color on the car. She loved the color. This is the most comfortable riding and reliable vehicle I have owned n 50 years. The only problem I have had in 5 years was a burned-out license plate light bulb.

Seduced by style....

Waggineer, 01/27/2010

I purchased an 8 month old Magnum SXT with well less than 10K on the clock. I fell in love with the looks of the car and the roominess and cargo hauling capability. The car has a good, solid highway ride and decent handling for a large car. The downside has been very spotty quality. Issues have included a new torque converter at 9K, leaky rear diff at 12K, an annoying squeak in the rear of the cabin that the dealer has "fixed" 3 times, and a very "clunky" 4 speed tranny. The visibility is really annoying as well. While I really like the car I'm wondering about the long term reliability given the big ticket warranty repairs I've needed.

I love it..

Kali, 06/17/2008

I love my Magnum. I think it is a great bargain and a well thought out design. It even surprises me its an American car. I've had 2 BMW's and this is way better than both of those cars. I only wish the gas mileage is better. My AWD gets a little thirsty on fuel but at least I recognize its partially due to my driving style. The interior and ride are comfortable and natural and I am surprised by how much "stuff" I've been able to carry in this vehicle. Its a shame they stopped making them. Hopefully they'll figure it out and bring it back.

Roomy, Quiet Oasis in Traffic

Ken, 10/08/2008

Being 6'4" tall, interior room is very important. I've had the Magnum since February, and at first was worried about the 2.7 L V6, but having driven it to the east coast, over the mountains, was surprised with the power of the car. Extremely quiet ride, nice stereo system. Absolutely zero build problems, no mechanical problems with the car at all. Have to join the chorus that is sorry that they are not building this car any more, really love it. Traded in a 1995 Dodge Spirit with 120K miles, this car is a whole different ride altogether. Also considered Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne, Magnum has a better quieter ride and is roomier.

Suprised

Pleased, 02/03/2008

I thought I would not like the base Magnum SE with the 2.7L engine, I was wrong. The base engine has plenty of power for my needs. Have you mind, if you're in it for power, then go for the 3.5 or the HEMI. My whole reason for buying is, comfort and gas mileage. I strongly believe that the Magnum SE for me is the best bang for the buck. It's a lot more comfortable than than the Charger SE. One other thing, it comes with a lifetime powertrain. So what if the motor or trans goes out while you own it, just get it replaced for free. Go test drive the 2.7L and you'll be surprised.

Best wagon ever!

MagRT, 12/21/2007

I'm writing this just to express my anger that Chrysler will stop producing this excellent vehicle. Great perfomer, has place for 5 tall people + luggage. Only minus is the fuel economy - in the city. All distances that I drive in a normal day are 3-6 miles with 5-10 traffic lights. Avg: 13 MPG. Highway - over 24 MPG.

Hot Mag

regularguy2, 06/17/2010

Nice car, fast, smooth, hauls stuff & hauls! I like the power and the handling

Great purchase - would buy another!

NJBloke, 09/29/2009

I bought a 2008 certified pre-owned Dodge Magnum SXT (silver/black) three months ago and love it. I needed space for a part-time business (photography) and did not want an SUV/crossover. This vehicle drives like a car and has more space and style then any mid-sized SUV on the road. The '08's are relatively rare as they have a redesigned front facia as well as interior (higher-end soft touch plastics, nicer center console, etc.). If you can find a CPO SXT with low miles for a reasonable price- grab it! I searched for 3 months and stole mine; it had 16K miles on it and I bought for $12,800. I plan on keeping this as a second car for years to come.

I love this car!

MBeeson, 03/24/2010

I've driven this car for about a year now and I am so in love with it. The only con that I've found after all of this time is that the 2.7 liter v6 doesn't have the power that I'm used to. I thought that I would get used to the lack of get up and go, but I never have. That's why I'm considering trading to something different since the larger v6 in the Magnums are hard to find in my area.

Great car

PaulV, 02/09/2008

I wanted a sporty, powerful, low CG car, able to pull a small trailer, and haul lots of stuff. This was the only one under $50K. I recently completed a 4000 mi roadtrip and it was great.... very comfortable (I'm 6'4"), and it didn't even downshift going up mountain passes. The lifetime powertrain warranty & multidisplacement engine were big pluses. The high intensity headlights are great; turn night into day. I think the interior is ugly; 5 different colors... bad try at a retro look, but I'm getting over it. The visibility isn't good, and made worse by heavy window tinting. The trailer package didn't come with a hitch or wiring. The my gig system works well; great sound.

i love my magnum

danny lopez, 05/13/2009

i own a dodge magnum and there's no words to explained the performance and handling on this beast is incredible. One of the best cars dodge ever built.

Amazing Car says Self-Proclaimed Cynic!

alaskan skies, 04/17/2010

I purchased my 2008 SXT AWD 3.5L Dodge Magnum around the time Dodge was claiming bankruptcy - at the time I thought I was walking away with a great deal, now that I have had the car for a year I realize that this was probably the best vehicle purchase I have made, or ever will make. This car has it all. It is roomy, yet compact. It is versatile, agile, and swift on its feet. It sports an edgy masculine look as well as a classy interior design. I like its bold look and smooth drive. I purchased the 3.5 L V6 engine and I wouldn't recommend anything less than that. Overall, this is an amazing car and if you find one I'd recommend snapping it up.

BAD BATCH

PEARL, 07/13/2010

I downgraded from a dodge ram hemi to save gas when I bought this 08 magnum that only had 12k on it. Not even a month after I bought the car, it started to shut off in the middle of driving. I took it back to the dealer about 4 times and the computer never recorded anything. They looked at me like a dumb lady and all they did was reflash the computer. The tranny makes loud clunky noises when accelerating and slowing down and it bucks when it shouldn't. Car stations change from FM to AM on it's own. The car shakes sometimes like it has a carburetor, which I know it doesn't have but I do know what it feels like when an old car wants to shut off. Maybe I got a bad car from the batch.

Small V-6 has plenty of getup

wagonlover, 05/14/2010

I've only had this car 2 weeks and I am pleased so far. I love the comfort and fit of the interior to my five foot frame. I should have bought one new in '08. I own 3 classic wagons with V- 8s and this six cylinder keeps me happy. The ride is smooth and sporty. The interior space is roomy and comparable with my older wagons, you don't find that much nowadays. This is a true grocery-getter.

SXT AWD 3.5, best car I have ever owned!

JN, 06/11/2008

I went to the dealership thinking I wanted to charger. I started looking at the Magnums, but I did not like the headlights. I went home and was reading a magazine that the 2008 model will be the last year, but will come with a completely new front end. The 08 front end looks better than the Charger or the 300. I ordered one immediately. This is the coolest looking car I have ever owned. It is built well, rides great, and performs great! I usually get a new car every year because I put on about 50k a year, but I think I will keep this one at least 2 years. This will probably be a classic as only one year for the new design and the last year, with few made! Absolutely awesome car!

AWD SXT

Gary, 02/24/2009

I read every review about the Magnum I could find before buying it as I was concerned about how the AWD would perform and if the 6 cyl was enough power. I live in NY but found the car in Iowa since they didn't make many '08's trying to find a loaded SXT AWD was difficult. I am thrilled I bought this car. The AWD works great in the snow and the 3.5 engine moves the car around very well. I am more pleased with the car and the performance then I expected to be. Right now these cars are a great buy and I highly recommend it. Don't be afraid of going with the 3.5 V6, it handles the weight of the car fine, it does not feel underpowered. Blinds spots are not that bad either.

Sleek and Fun

ydahsmils2001, 05/13/2008

I bought this vehicle looking for something that could haul my equipment and have the heart of a sports car. Man! does it ever haul. The car is roomy too. Gas mileage is not so great, but the car makes up for it in raw power! I am thoroughly impressed with the SRT8. No one even sees me coming, sleek and fast.

Vader's Wagon

Vader's Wagon, 05/14/2008

What a tragedy that they are canceling this car. Awesome power and soundtrack from the exhaust. Fantastic ride and classic hot-rod looks. Good but not great fuel economy but it's a big V-8 so one does not buy this car for the mileage. I ride about 30 mi on 95 every day to work and can't keep it under 90! Comfortable and easy to drive fast. Love the MyGig radio even though it is a little confusing to use at times. Parts of the interior are a little cheap but it is a Dodge. Not a fan of the Auto-stick trans, doesn't work great. Otherwise a classic, pick one up before they're all gone!!!! Boo-hiss to Chrysler for dropping the axe on it.

51050