Used 1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Don't Knock It Til You Try It

dreamsalive, 06/29/2009

I never considered a mini-van until I test drove one. Now I am spoiled to the ride. I paid $6,500 cash for it. Most problems were normal wear, tear & maintenance. I have only had to replace the AC compressor, the radiator and the fuel pump during the time I've had it. Currently I have a minor transmission leak and a slow oil leak as well as the dash lights on the radio & AC controls blink until after driving for a while. I recently experienced a problem with the ignition getting hot. Not sure what that is about. I'll have to get it checked out. Overall, it has been a great vehicle. My van will still ride like new after I fix what's wrong & I'll get another 100,000 miles or so.

My deceased 96 Town and Country

Larry, 10/02/2010

This car no doubt is the best car I've owned in 40 years with the exception of a 63 Dodge 440 with a 318cid. I bought this van used with 70,000 miles and I've put another 148,000 more miles on it before it was totaled in a car wreck. I've used this vehicle for sales trips, hauling goats in the back, hauling animal feed, groceries, pulling a camper to the east coast and back, trip to Florida, daily half hour commutes, pulling a fishing boat to remote lakes and getting the rig home again, hauled 4 X 8 sheets of building materials, etc. It had already had its tranny replaced at 40,000 miles and I never had two minutes trouble with mine! What a great vehicle--the best I've ever owned.

Great Value

tsjwally, 02/25/2009

Bought this one used with 180,000 miles from original owner. Made it another 30000 and the engine called it quits. Replaced due to family liking this one so much. Both front windows had to have motors replaced. Mileage is excellent considering the size of the vehicle. About 22mpg at 70mph loaded down the interstate with a family of 5.

More good than bad...

Duceswild, 04/13/2003

This is a great van to have for the family vacation or even for just an extended ride somewhere. As an everyday driver, this van lacks good fuel economy and has problems that seem to be very common with other 1996 Chrysler T&C's.

Edmund's has it all wrong

Tom, 04/06/2009

I never thought such a lemon could exist. I am on my 3rd transmission, little did I know Chrysler's 4sp automatic only lasts about 60k miles. I found out what a crappy tranny it is from 5 co-workers with Chrysler minivans, some of whom were on their 5th transmission. Little wonder that Daimler changed the trans when they controled the company. If you doubt me, check the internet for people with Chrysler minivan trans problems. Edmunds should be ashamed to rate the transmission problems as minimal.

We love Chryslers!!!!

lgarcia777, 06/20/2002

We own a small carlot and despite Chrysler's tranny problems, etc. they are definately a best seller. People have driven hundreds of miles to buy Chrysler or Dodge minivans from us (we're not new car dealers, etiher). The engines are excellent, we've never had any problems with them. In the past, we just bought and sold Dodge or Plymouth, the other day we picked up a Chrysler Town and Country. I am very impressed with it. If we ever buy a car to keep for ourselves, it definately will be a Chrysler Town and Country!!!

Excellent van -very reliable

Dave24, 12/26/2002

Have had no significant problems with our van. Very comfortable to take long trips in and drives more like a car than a van. 3.8 litre engine has plenty of power ... no trouble with transmission that others complain about.

Great Vehicle very versatile 21 mpg ave

Ray, 01/05/2006

I bought this from a close friend who maintained the vehicle very well. I liked the vehicle but needed a car quick because I was rear ended in my BMW. I grew to love this vehicle. He had already changed the tranny. I believe that Chrysler paid for it. I have absolutely no troubles in 30K. For its size it is great in snow & great mileage. I consistently recieved 21 mpg average. Mid twenties on the highway. The drive is very comfortable. Huge box for carrying everything even 4x8 sheets of plywood. Excellant multipurpose vehicle. Easy oil change. I would highly recommend this vehicle. Driver door developed a little rust spot. Full size spare with easy access under rear door.

Dependable Xport

JDevlune, 03/13/2006

We bought this vehicle because we had baby on the way and wanted a larger space. The sliding doors easily accomadate the ease of installing and removing the baby seat. The captains passenger seats are easy to remove, but that rear bench is a killer. We have intermittant trouble w/ the wipers as well (seems mostly to occur at cold temps). This is true with the transmission as well. Transmission does not seem to engage in "Lock Up" in colder temps. "Lock Up" directly locks the transmission to the engine crankshaft via the torque converter to reduce slippage and increase MPG. HVAC only works on high fan speed. All of these are electrical in nature.

pretty ...poor

alac, 07/30/2004

Great car to drive, but we replaced the tranny after 25,000 miles (Chrysler paid for half) and needed a new engine after 65,000 miles (we paid for it all). Great design, abysmal build... broken window lift, broken emergency brake cable, broken hood latch, etc. Our repair costs alone average 15 cents a mile or more.

12345...6