Used 1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Blown engine at 75,000 miles

emgross3@aol.com, 07/10/2004

The engine just blew at only 75,000 miles. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

It's been a great car

Bud, 08/16/2006

The T&C is used primarily as a family vehicle around town and for long traveling vacations of 5 to 10 K miles. Have never had a failure on the road while traveling. Am planning on buying a new 2007 or 2008 model.

Great van for the $$$

Rex, 12/05/2006

The good: Amazingly comfortable seats. Wonderfully roomy. You can buy a used T&C for amazingly little. Very little critical maintenance...in 3 1/2 years I have had a number of little things malfunction but only two problems that absolutely required repair. The bad: The electrical system...wiper blades have a mind of their own in cold temperatures, anytime I do not manually lock the doors the alarm will trip within the next 5-20 minutes, fuel gauge is off, radio buttons do not light up and require a hard push to operate, auto mirrors and seats reset incorrectly, dome light works intermittently when liftgate is open. The ugly: I am just waiting for the tranny to go.

'96 Town and Country LXI

Glynn, 05/27/2007

The Town and Country LXI is a very well built reliable minivan that has tons of room. This van is very comfortable and has that extra pick up you are looking for on the highways. The gas mileage is OK at about 18 in the city and 24 on the highway. I would highly recommend this van to anyone that wants a lot of room and style.

Love The Van BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lmdct, 01/19/2003

We bought the Van Brand new off the Show room floor with the 3.8 litter engine and no problems until 70,000 miles when they all started the Mysterious door locks that have a mind of its own they lock and unlock on their own. Next was the Air Conditioning followed by the transmition it lasted until 140,000 miles but then when it went out it was over we had to fix that one and replace it five times. But if I was guaraenteed to get the same mileage out of my transmission as my first one then I would most likely give it another chance and buy another van.

Waiting for things to go wrong!

Bluey, 05/24/2003

I have heard so many horror stories about this van but so far it's been a typical American car for me. Like any minivan it goes through brakes and front types fairly quickly. Build quality is poor with little things going wrong or falling off. It uses to much fuel. I had a Ford Aerostar previously with a bigger engine (4.1 vs 3.8) that got much better fuel economy. The Ford had better lumbar support on the front seats too. The T&C handles well on slippry raods; in fact it handles well period. The responsive handling saved our lives last year when a truck going the other way lost control.

T&C review

jrapma, 05/25/2003

This has been a very reliable vehical with excellant features and room. for the amount of room the milage is very good and is quite and comfortable on long trips as well as city driving, I have had no major problems and minor problems that I had were covered by warrenty or the zone office. Excellant visiblity and car like ride.

No More Chrysler Products

LAWagner, 03/14/2002

This vehicle had a very high maintenance cost over 6 years and 96K miles. I will not be buying another Daimler Chrysler product.

watch out

docktor, 03/15/2002

I thought the chrysler would get better after all these years. NOT....the radio broke, the power steering pump leaked and needed to get replaced, the AC condenser leaked, one of the sliding door locks broke and needed to get replaced. the wipers go on at all times and I saved the best for last. the right side tie rod broke off twice in two years while my wife was driving it. Van only has 67,000 miles on it. NO GOOD!!! do yourself a favor, do not buy one

Never Again

sandsavers, 03/26/2002

We were initially attracted to the Chrysler T&C van because of the features, handling, and design- even though we thought it was overpriced. However, after 90,000 miles and 6 years, we're getting rid of it and replacing it with a Honda Odyssey. The Chrysler lacked quality and was unreliable. We replaced three transmissions, water pump, and assorted other items over the years. The braking sytstem was terrible - it didn't stop as quickly as you'd expect, and therefore, we had to leave excessive distance between us and the cars in front. It broke down on the freeway twice. We could go on and on about the quality problems. Suffice it to say, this was our first and last Chrysler.

12345...6