Used 1996 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

1996 Chrysler T&C LXi

Colette, 03/02/2002

Vehicle was purchased used in 1997. seven (7) passenger seating was the main reason for purchase. Added features were leather interior and full power features. CD player and excellent sound capabilities are big bonus.

96 T&C LXi by High Mileage Driver

ohioyrmr, 10/12/2003

Bought in 2001 with 73000 miles on it. Am very pleased with ride, features, engine power, etc. Replaced transmission at 100,000 miles with factory remanufactured unit. Last T&C I owned ran for 240000 miles (one transmission replacement). Love the car for utility, ride comfort, sound system. Will buy another

Van wears well through time.

Sherry, 04/19/2005

We've had our van for 8 years and now in 2005 it has 182,000 miles. Bought it in 1997 with 50,000 miles already on it. We love it and are going to purchase another one. The biggest problem is that at this mileage we are being "nickle-and-dimed" to death with little repairs. It is also beginning to sound like an older car. Has served our family well on many LONG driving trips and going into the city from our country home.

Good Van

Eddie Stahlnecker, 11/27/2003

My wife and I bought this van w/ 150,000 miles on it. No major mechanical trouble, but getting nervous @ 165,000 miles. Radio presets worn out, and it's slow stopping. Great overall van, considering a newer one.The wipers will come on eratically for about 3 swipes, what's up with that? This is my first mopar van, but my mother has owned 4 voyagers and never any major problem, however have heard of others having transmission trouble.

Will it make it another year?

RIchard, 11/22/2003

We bought the van used at 45,000 miles. Shortly after we had it a month the air conditioner went out. Then the wipers would go on for no reason, and intermittent had a mind of its own. Then the starter went out. Way to many problems for a van with this low of mileage. It does handle well. We took it on two family trips and held all our gear very well.

Serpentine belt eater

roho, 01/08/2004

Love this car other than the glitches with serpentine belts. Can't go through a puddle without the belt coming off. We live in Oregon... Had it to dealer, replaced pulleys, belts, still doing it. $$$ in belts = down time and dangerous if you were going down a mountain pass. You lose power everything without this belt...Wrestling with this 4000 pounder is not my favorite pastime.

Great Design, Poor Reliability

NY Driver, 01/17/2004

This is a wonderful van with many thoughtful features. It is a pleasure to drive and handles well. Some cool ideas were poorly executed though: the "easy out" third row seats may roll out of the car, but they weigh a ton. Seats that stow flat into the floor would have been great. Unfortunately this car has given us nothing but problems. I regularly stall out, strange noises come from under the hood, and the A/C system has been replaced at great expense THREE TIMES! Ours doesn't have many miles on it, comparatively, but it is pretty much ready for the scrap heap. A shame the reliability is so shoddy, otherwise, a fantastic vehicle.

NEVER AGAIN

cxelady, 02/08/2004

Although we have 135,000 miles on our T&C Lxi Van - it's cost us a small fortune to get there. The comfort, ride, and space is great. It's the reliabilty that is lacking! Our van has the special (we paid extra!) paint - which started to peel while under warranty. Chrysler did repaint the top of the van - but, it's been peeling elsewhere ever since (out of warranty). The headlights are so clouded we can barely see at night to drive and Chrysler's response to this problem - is oh..well, it's out of warranty, and you can replace the headlights - they only cost about $275 each! This is our last Chrysler product!!

Trasnsmission problems galore

Soccerdad, 02/17/2004

I've spent a fortune at AAMCO on this vehicle's faulty transmission. (Maybe the problem is AAMCO! I loathed them, by the way.) But ever since I hit 80,000 miles, this car has never been the same. I have also had to replace the radiator twice. The front brakes only last about 8,500 miles. The gas mileage is roughly 18 freeway, 12 to 15 city. The best thing about this minivan -- the leather seats. They are quite comfortable. Compared to other mini- vans, this one may be the best, but that ain't sayin' much!

'96 Town and Country

Jon Hartley, 02/25/2004

Very comfortable car. Very few repairs since I bought it used 2 years ago. A couple of complaints: powertrain module (computer part) has been replaced twice in the past 15 months. Also, wipers when used intermittently seem to go whenever they want and don't always turn off when I want them to.

12345...6