Used 2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (25 reviews )

150k miles and still going strong!
By Alan Melamed

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Hello out there in Edmunds land! Today, I am going to review my 2011 Chevrolet Volt. As the title in the review states, I've driven this car over 150k miles in the last 7 years and it has never let me down. It starts every day, no matter the weather which is why I gave it 5 stars for reliability. It's also a safe car having all the latest safety equipment, so that's not an issue. For most other things, I gave it 4 stars, as most of the other pieces of the car are average, like ride comfort and performance. I didn't expect a lot given the kind of car it is (Mid-size but not luxury by any means), but it meets my needs, all while delivering 85+ MPG over that 150k miles. All in all, while the car has gotten better over the years since the 2011 model, it's still the same car I bought and it is serving me well. My Volt is #2935 and was the 3rd Volt registered in the State of MA.

Love this car.
By Mark Grabosky

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased one of the first ones made. Drove it almost 5 years only using gas on road trips. Just traded it in for a new 2016, hope it's as good. Best car I have ever owned.

My first oil change was at 35K miles $0.00 spend
By high volt-age

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is fun to drive especially in sport mode.
My first oil change was at 35K miles and it was free, so far no repairs (except the couple minor recalls) $0 spend in over 2 years
I don't know why if you check the cost to own it it says:
Maintenance first year $166 second year $317, not true $0 spend
Repairs first year $80 second year $191, not true $0 spend
I din't spend a dime in over 3 years
In October 2016 was 3 years and 68K miles already without any issues at all, very very satisfied with this car.
April 2017, Second Oil change it was also free at 75k miles, $0 spends far.
Cons. The only complain is the middle arm rest it is kind of hard and it should be a bit forward, the radio doesn't remember what input was selected the last time it was on, if it was in bluetooth input, and for some reason it goes to FM radio

how did edmunds come up with this numbers ?

Battery Memory
By drydoc

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

In love, at first, several trips to the dealer during the first six weeks for "unexplained" engine error messages", almost made me invoke the "Lemon Law".

Life settled down after a computer upgrade...until early in the 5th month that I owned the car.
At that point, a full charge became less and less miles.

I began at 38 - 40 miles ev per charge and now I am at best, 23 -24 miles ev.

The Chevy Volt team and my local dealer state that it is the weather and the way that I drive it.

First of all...the way I drive it should not change the battery capacity.
Secondly, it is not even cold yet...average temp approx. 42 degrees.
Thirdly, I charge it in a heated garage.

The car handles very well.

Entirley replace the battery. Recent notifications from the NHTSA that the battery causes fires after accicents and the bnattery memory issue (which I enquired about prior to the sale and was told did not exist) make this an impotent electric car.

Car Snob Humbled by Volt
By gtoernie1

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I'm a car nut-- have owned everything from Bentley's to Hondas to Lincolns to Porsches.
My partner wanted the Volt, and I was skeptical.
I was wrong.
After 1500 miles, it is the car we choose for family outings (our other cars are '11 Audi A8 and and a '10 Audi Q7 TDI, both of which we love).
Why?
The Volt is silent.
It is quick.
It has fun technology that works!
It has a refined manner-- much more refined than our Lexus 400h hybrid was.
Most of all-- it is versatile. Knowing there is a gas generator to keep you going after the battery is exhausted on long trips, takes the stress out of trip planning.
Full recharge takes only 4 hours, but is unnecessary if it's inconvenient.

Refinement, quiet, innovation. It's the car everyone in the house wants to take because it drives so beautifully. The fact that a 40 mile trip takes no fuel also feels pretty darn good.

Lumbar support in seat could be better. I think the touchscreen center console controls are kind of touchy-- I fat-finger them easily. Also, drives me crazy that the GM lawyers won't let me enter navigation information while the car is moving. C'mon guys-- I can still pull out my iPhone and pull up google maps, which is no safer while driving than entering nav in the car.