Used 2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (26 reviews )

Biggest financial disaster to date
By Broke

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I wanted to help usher in a new era of EV, save on gas and leave a smaller carbon footprint, but instead I wound up dumping exorbitant sums of money to keep this thing running. Let's start with the 120V charger; about two years in (2016) it up and quits on me–no lights/power, just dead. I call the dealership who explains the unit would not be covered under the voltec warranty, so I open it up to find corroded wire insulation, exposing and shorting the wires coming in from the wall to the unit. I replace the blown fuse and re-insulate the wires, but the charger still won't work. I randomly take it to a different dealership and they replaced it with a gen2 charger (hats off to them). This year I'm driving along on the interstate when the oil pressure warning starts blaring, but before I could even react, the engine throws a rod. Instantly destroyed–and I changed the oil in this thing religiously. I had to rent a uhaul and tow it over 500 miles, drain my savings to replace the motor and now the battery life is shot and it won't even charge. I'm stuck upside down with a lemon that continues to sour, no savings and another year of payments. Buyer beware, all of this went down in under 100,000 miles...

150k miles and still going strong!
By Alan Melamed

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Hello out there in Edmunds land! Today, I am going to review my 2011 Chevrolet Volt. As the title in the review states, I've driven this car over 150k miles in the last 7 years and it has never let me down. It starts every day, no matter the weather which is why I gave it 5 stars for reliability. It's also a safe car having all the latest safety equipment, so that's not an issue. For most other things, I gave it 4 stars, as most of the other pieces of the car are average, like ride comfort and performance. I didn't expect a lot given the kind of car it is (Mid-size but not luxury by any means), but it meets my needs, all while delivering 85+ MPG over that 150k miles. All in all, while the car has gotten better over the years since the 2011 model, it's still the same car I bought and it is serving me well. My Volt is #2935 and was the 3rd Volt registered in the State of MA.

Love this car.
By Mark Grabosky

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased one of the first ones made. Drove it almost 5 years only using gas on road trips. Just traded it in for a new 2016, hope it's as good. Best car I have ever owned.

My first oil change was at 35K miles $0.00 spend
By high volt-age

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is fun to drive especially in sport mode.
My first oil change was at 35K miles and it was free, so far no repairs (except the couple minor recalls) $0 spend in over 2 years
I don't know why if you check the cost to own it it says:
Maintenance first year $166 second year $317, not true $0 spend
Repairs first year $80 second year $191, not true $0 spend
I din't spend a dime in over 3 years
In October 2016 was 3 years and 68K miles already without any issues at all, very very satisfied with this car.
April 2017, Second Oil change it was also free at 75k miles, $0 spends far.
Cons. The only complain is the middle arm rest it is kind of hard and it should be a bit forward, the radio doesn't remember what input was selected the last time it was on, if it was in bluetooth input, and for some reason it goes to FM radio

how did edmunds come up with this numbers ?

Battery Memory
By drydoc

2011 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

In love, at first, several trips to the dealer during the first six weeks for "unexplained" engine error messages", almost made me invoke the "Lemon Law".

Life settled down after a computer upgrade...until early in the 5th month that I owned the car.
At that point, a full charge became less and less miles.

I began at 38 - 40 miles ev per charge and now I am at best, 23 -24 miles ev.

The Chevy Volt team and my local dealer state that it is the weather and the way that I drive it.

First of all...the way I drive it should not change the battery capacity.
Secondly, it is not even cold yet...average temp approx. 42 degrees.
Thirdly, I charge it in a heated garage.

The car handles very well.

Entirley replace the battery. Recent notifications from the NHTSA that the battery causes fires after accicents and the bnattery memory issue (which I enquired about prior to the sale and was told did not exist) make this an impotent electric car.