Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

2003 SUBURBAN SOUTHERN COMFORT CONVERSION
By Randy Butcher

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Southern Comfort advertised this conversion as the "Ultimate". I agree. I have 197,000 miles on this Suburban and feel I could get another 190,000 miles out of it. I wax the car every 9 months with Maguier's Carnauba Wax and the Suburban looks nearly new. The ride is superb. Only average 13 MPG. I traveled for a living before I retired and put 130,000 miles on the road. The Suburban is absolutely beautiful. I purchased the Conversion from Moritz Chevrolet in Ft. Worth and their service was tremendous. They don't make conversions like this Suburban any more.

I LOVE MY TRUCK - This thing doesn't break!
By Dan

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Between 110,000 and 173,000, my most major repairs were replacing a light bulb and clean out a clogged mass airflow sensor. The rest was tires, brakes, shocks, fluids, and a wheel bearing. I've averaged $81/mo over 5.5 years in maintenance and tires. Way cheaper than anything I've ever owned and more than compensates for the gas mileage. It is very comfortable for me (6'4" 210lbs) and I can ride for hours. My only complaint is the rust. I was able to have the insides of the bottoms of the doors ground down, sealed, and repainted and that has held off that rust fairly well. BUT, the rockers, quarters and fenders are rotting very quickly. They probably got worse as I was typing. However, I love my truck so much that even at 173k, I may spring for new panels and paint.

"The Big Black Hoe" 2003 Black Suburban Z71 4x4
By André Brocato

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Z71 new. Has been an excellent SUV, has 155k miles on it now. Friends say you ought to trade it in. I say WHY, it's loaded, leathers seats, sun roof, etc. I'm fixing to purchase another set of tires for it. I love my Z71. I drive it on long trips, I take to the country. I love the 33 gallon gas tank. I just fill it up at half of a tank ,so it will already to take a trip if need to. The Z71 has a stiffer ride, but everyone that rides in it loves it. I just wish it had a back up camera, thinking about having one installed. It seats 7. I have bucket seats for front and second row, then third row seat. My next one will have 2nd roll bench seat. But that will be a long time from now. Just bought a new SUV for son, he said don't you want it? I said no way, I love my "Big Black Hoe". By the way the name came from a previous SUV , a Tahoe, which I hated, it wasn't big enough. So my Z71 is black and it's larger than the Tahoe. When I first got it I wanted to be the one to put the first scratch on it, so I took it hunting. Hey I didn't get a Z71 to drive on the road only. My Z71 been places that most people wouldn't take their truck. I drive in country during week and weekends take it on road trips, Just take it to local Car wash, and it comes out brand new. The black color exterior color shines so well. My wife has a nicer and newer SUV, but we always take mine on trips. I feel so much safer in my "Big Black Hoe". One negative thing that I haven't figured out yet, is that I have 17 inch wheels and the spare is a 16 inch wheel. You never put a smaller wheel on a 4 wheel drive vehicle. All wheels have to be the same. But I have never had to use that spare yet. I had my first flat tire last weekend, I noticed the tire was lowFriday, but I forgot about it and by Sunday it was flat. I just took my air tank out and filled it up with air and drove to tire place. I buy the best tires, Michelin. For my vehicle. According to my mechanic he said that the 2003 model is a great year. He is right. ( he just changes oil, etc.) As far as MPG, goes I drive different some times I floor it from stop lights, mostly I drive it slow in town, on the highway I drive fast. So I don't care about the MPG. With my 33 gallon tank. I go on a long trip.

2003 Chevy Suburban LT 2WD F
By Easyserve

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was purchased off lease in 2006 with 35,000 miles and aside from tires brakes engine oil & transmission oil changes this Suburban has had very little repairs needed - with 1 instrument cluster(dashboard display of speed, fule, temp, volt & tach) and 2 water pumps in the duration of ownership through present day with having now 191,000 miles - still on original drive train. Never really babied the thing as I have been running I-95 up and down the coast many of times as it is a pleasure to drive - even with a full load in back, 5 people seated comfortable and trailering with full load. The only modifications I have made to the truck was a K&N intake kit and Gibson Exhaust for added HP. My only wish list for this vehicle is a 4WD version. It will be a sad day if I have to part with the vehicle.

Chevy Suburban goes the extra mile
By Rodney Martin

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Suburban brand new in 2003. It now has 240,000 miles. I've reapolstered the front seats, installed a new stereo system with blue tooth, installed Flow Master Exhaust and put new rims on it. I love this vehicle. It is a great ride, has been very reliable. I've never been left on the roadside with this vehicle. We've followed the manufacturer recommended maintenance schedule and it's still going strong. I've heard of Suburbans going over 400,000 miles. I'm shooting to break the record, then put a new engine in it and keep this thing forever. We love it so much, we bought the GMC version of this; GMC Yukon Denali, and we love it even more.