Used 2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

good for the money?
By jack373

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the Malibu new in 2010. Wife wanted an auto (4 speed), but not a six. Last one on the lot. Offered $18,900 total drive out and the dealer took it. Have put 81,000 miles on it with a few problems. Do my own regular maintenance (tires, oil. air filter). But went to change the transmission fluid but couldn't. There is no dip stick to check your transmission. There is a fill hole but I couldn't get in there to suck out the old trans fluid. Would have to put the vehicle up on four blocks. Glad it has the timing chain and not a belt. Had to have the emergency brake replaced under warranty. Per dealer, emergency brake warning chime only works when going forward (not in reverse). Right after 50,000 miles, we have had three emission problems and none were covered by the warranty (two were the camshaft position (CMP) actuator both the exhaust and then the intake). Cost $148 each time! Also, the AC started 'clicking' when on recirculate and cost a couple hundred to fix that too (cheap little actuator in there too that wasn't opening the door that was mostly labor to get to). 82,000 miles on odometer. My daughter has our old 2004 Camry. Never been in the shop with 130,000 miles. Just keep changing the oil (and fluids), plugs (easy to get to), brakes, and tires. Starting to wish I had bought a 2010 Camry but my wife wanted this car. AC fan is clicking again when on low. This is different than the actuator that was clicking. This is in the fan. Not going to get it fixed. My wife can just listen to it.

Piece of Junk
By wspringer

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car looks pretty nice on the outside, but that's about it. It sits WAY too low. The drivers seat is like a cockpit. There is no comfortable driving position if you put up the seat higher, you just hit into the steering wheel, and it sits very very low inside of the vehicle. It is loaded with blind spots; the car is very hard to get a good view out of. Obviously not meant for someone taller than 5 foot. The seat itself is also hard as a rock. Back seats are very cramped. Everything inside is a junky plastic. I think I will be sticking with my 1991 Ford Country Squire.

Sirius XM radio, nice looking exterior

Less cheap interior, raise it up off the ground a bit, make the seats more comfortable and higher up

One of the best cars i have owned
By bowls

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 10k on it, and now have almost 60k, not one problem or complaint, it is very dependable, wonderful performance, the appearance is beautiful, Chevrolet has finally figured out how to build like the foreign cars, the mileage is as expected, and is acceptable in town if driven carefully, I have kept up the standard maintenance only, nothing other than that, so it has always had oil changes when needed (3k), I would recommend this car to anyone, and the folks that had all the problems should intact the lemon law, as it was probably built on a Friday or Monday.

Performance, appearance, Mileage, dependability.

I have bought two sets of tires to try to get a smoother ride, but even with the most expensive the ride is a bit rough.

Passenger Airbag Problems
By foresterjoe

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car two years ago with only 21k on it.
Drove it and loved it initially, then the car started to have issues.
Since we have owned it (now over 2 years), we have had it in the shop 6 times; 5 of those dealing with the passenger air bag system and 1 to replace the final drive in the transmission.
3 out of the 5 times have been for the wiring harness/connectors.
We just had it in last month for the airbag and guess what, yesterday we had the light come back on.
Poor design that GM won't recognize as being a major problem.
Thank goodness for extended warranty, but still costs us $100 a pop for deductible.
Won't buy another GM car again.
That's for sure!

Exterior styling and driving capability Great MPGs

Airbag issues resolved Cut down on the chrome inside the cabin Reduce the size of the posts inside to limit blind spots

3 years/70k miles and still going strong
By setht37

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 3 years and it now has over 70k miles on it and I have not had any issues with it.
There are a couple squeaks and rattles here and there and sometimes the right turn signal does not go off when turning but I figure it is not a luxury car so what do you expect. I feel this car is just as reliable as a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. When I first got the car it did not get good gas mileage now that the engine is broken in it gets good mileage.
I have gotten 33 mpg doing 80 with 5 people in the car and luggage in the trunk.