Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews

Used Cobalt for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...61

Pros
Cons

Chevrolet Makes Driving Fun Again

Ray Knapp, 10/07/2006
LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many sports cars in my life and recently A Landcruiser. This car is fun to drive, looks great, excellent gas mileage and far a away the best dollar value in the market today. Mine has all the bells and whistles which add to its overall appeal. In looking for an economical vehicle that would satisfy my sports car blood and be reasonably priced, the Cobalt is a 10.

2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged – A fun toy!

JonyyB, 06/07/2007
SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I had the car for one year now and 20,000 miles later, I love it as much as I did when I first drove one. So far, the car had only minor issues that were easily resolved by the dealer. Since the car is only in production 2005-2007, I am actually considering buying another one for my wife. This car is quick, fun, and brings excitement into any day! It’s a shame GM only kept the Supercharged Cobalt alive for 3 short years. I know I will keep mine for years to come.

Mixed feelings...

823freckles, 02/17/2012
SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I got my cobalt in 2009 with 17000 miles on it. I was constantly having problems with it-interior quality is awkward and shoddy, I failed an emissions test shortly after buying it, and some other problems I honestly can't remember, except they were costly. I also hated that it seemed to turn way too widely, at least for me-handling was awkward. I would have rated it lower, but as I just totaled it and walked away sans injuries, I'm giving it a slightly higher rating. But I think there are cars just as safe, but more enjoyable to drive out there.

It's an economy car, but there are better options

Joe J, 01/31/2016
LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The biggest thing to know about this car is that it is a cheap, barebones machine. It is a basic, boring, machine that gets you from point A to point B. The interior is beyond basic. Everything is plastic, and going down the road you can hear the pieces smacking against each other. The instrument cluster shows speed, tachometer, and gas. That is all. It's almost impossible to know if there is anything wrong with this car. The engine (2.2L) seems to be reliable so far, but is too underpowered. It is almost impossible to force this car to downshift. Once it's in third gear, even if I press the pedal all the way to the floor, this car refuses to downshift. This has left me in some scary situations at times when I really need the car to accelerate and it refuses to. This car will also rust like crazy. The hood is falling apart, and occasionally pieces of rust will fall from the hood and smack into the windshield. I would have expected a car to last a little longer than this. I applied some rust preventers where I could, so time will tell how much longer she'll last. My biggest problem with this car is how small of an opening the trunk is. Even putting a backpack is a hassle. You just can't fit anything. The other large issue is the doors. They are weirdly large, and parking in a normal parking spot makes it almost impossible to get out of the vehicle because of just how big the car is. I only bought this car because it was cheap, and it supposedly got great gas mileage. After owning it for a while, I really wish I would have gone with something else. I plan on trading it in for a Mazda 3 after this Michigan winter is over. Overall, I'd AVOID this vehicle unless you can deal with something so barebones.

Stylish, but there's a reason it's cheap

pkbjw, 12/20/2006
LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have put about 5500 miles on it now and we are pleased with it's gas mileage, 30 mpg average, and we like the look of the car. It is reasonably comfortable, although being a small car, it can get uncomfortable on those long trips. The ride is average and the handling is above average for the class. Now for the bad news. It's cheap. I'm not just talking about price either. The sheetmetal on the doors is very thin. Don't lean too hard on them or you'll be going to the body shop. Also the interior has a tendency to fall apart. Nothing has broken or flaked off on ours yet, but I have seen several Cobalts with interiors that are falling apart at 30,000 miles. I'm worried.

12345...61