Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews

Used Blazer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

I call mine "Old Reliable"

johnnyt3, 06/12/2013
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My father got this car when it was about a year old. It's the LS model, so it's got pretty much all the options. Dad was a careful driver, so after more than a decade when he gave it to me, it had about 137K miles, but had been maintained meticulously. In the two years that I have have it, the only issues I have had were typical Blazer issues of the wiper circuit board, the recline handles breaking off, and the bushings on the door hinges wearing out. The only other "serious" issue was the alternator dying at about 140K miles. The replacement was easy, as I did it myself at a cost of $90 and less than an hour of labor.

People need to learn how to drive!

cobrabas1983, 09/08/2012
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad and i have owned a 1998 Chevy Blazer since 2003, bought it with just over 60,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck we have ever owned, other than wear and tear items we have not had to replace anything major. It currently has 142000 + miles and it is running like a champ with many years to go. If people would take care of their cars they wouldnt have much to bitch about, i just had to change the ORIGIONAL ball joints and some other bushings at 140000! Brakes, tires and other wear items are not the cars fault its the way people drive! I have towed cars, boats, and my landscape trailer with my blazer with out fail for 9 years.

Better then expected

Rooster, 03/13/2007
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine with 115,000 on it, changed the shocks right away but since then I've had no problems what-so-ever. Started every morning through the Minneasota winter, heated up just fine and the 4 wheel drive was a blessing. I'm just starting to see a little rust on the rear bumper but thats an easy fix. It could be a bit more comfortable ride but I have a bad back and for a SUV it's not bad at all. Over all for the price I can't complain.

1998 Chevy Blazer LS 4WD 2 door (4.3L)

Bill Smith, 12/08/2015
LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Its not that bad of a truck. I haven't had the best experience with this truck because of the lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I know most of the blazers don't have my problems. But a common problem for the blazers has happened to mine which would be the levers on the seats. Truck is like a beater truck. Engages into 4WD and works great but has problems coming out. Engine is pretty strong. Takes off pretty quick for a 6 cylinder. Makes all kinds of squeaking noises and rear is ready to go. Had to put a new A/C system in the truck including a right-rear axle seal bearing. Like i said the previous owner did not take care of it and abused it. So most blazers most likely will not have this problem. If this truck wasn't abused like it was i would feel strong about the truck. But any vehicle that you abuse will be messed up.

Love/Hate Relationship

CButte, 04/22/2005
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I don't know where to begin. Our Blazer has taken us deep into the back woods on 4WD trails, to the top of many 14,000' mountain peaks, and has always managed to get us home. With that said, it has also been the most unreliable, frustrating vehicle we've owned. Purchased used w/50k 4 years ago, it has required the following in the last 40k miles: Transmission, lwr ball joints, axle shaft, several seals, intake manifold gasket, pwr window motor, 4WD actuator, O2 sensor, rotors, etc. It has also suffered from the following common Blazer issues: Dexcool sludge requiring multiple flushes so the heater would work, multi-function switch gremlins, ghost- wipers & leaking oil filter lines.

Avoid this year and model at all costs!

carols, 06/05/2008
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Despite low annual mileage, it has been a repair disaster. I've repladed lower intake manifold gaskets, ruise control cable (2005), multi-function switch replace (controls signalling) (2005), replaced heater core, rear window wiper control, and leaking power steering pump (2005). The shop owners said this year was very well known for a design problem that leads heater core to fill with engine junk, eventually leading to failure of heating system; it was redesigned later models. Replace front/rear differntials in transfer case (2006), replaced valve cover gaskets, failed a/c compressor (2006) and replaced leaking water pump (2007) and now a failed ball joint (2008).

98 blazer bought used

SSweet9C1, 03/08/2004
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 blazer LS 4 door 4WD used last january (04) with 100,000 miles on it, it had new brakes (rotors and pads) and new ball joints.. since then i have done nothing to it other than normal maintenance and it is a pleasure to drive. excellent stopping power and reasonable acceleration VS fuel mileage

Update to Old Reliable

Old Reliable, 05/11/2006
4dr SUV

Old Reliable now has 114,500 miles and still no major problems only routine stuff like battery and oil and filter changes. Had a tune up at 90K although vehicle was running fine. I finally had to have to rear brakes done at 95K but the fronts are still OK and original! Replaced tires at 84K although tread was adequate but with rainy weather coming bought Goodyear Aqua Tred 3. Great tires! Recently got 23 mpg on trip to Jacksonville, Fl and back. Paint and interior still looks great (garage kept) and no other complaints. Believe it or not this is probably the most reliable vehicle I have owned including Nissan, Toyota and Accura.

i keep it cuz its paid for

big jim, 05/10/2008
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 2000,4 months later transmission broke. Did fine until 02 when the alternator went out, 03 fuel pump, 05 new rotors and window motor, seat adjust handle broke, ball joints went bad, yada yada yada. Overall decent a-b car but I don't trust it for long trips. Now has 143,000 miles and the engine is still pretty good just the overall integrity of it is not so good. But like I said its paid for and stil running so ill run it till it dies since I wouldn't get what its worth trading in or selling it.

Just Okay

afj21, 04/04/2011
LS 4dr SUV

I decided that after owning a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS for 10 years I should write a review on it. I purchased it in 2001 with 36K, AFTER the warranty expired at 60K , the car became a money pit. I called Chevy to see if they would assist me to no avail, the car was nickel and diming me to death. Drivers seat lever, all mirrors, passenger seat wouldn't lock in place, power windows quit working, rear hatch hydraulic lift levers, distributor (2X), heater core, new radiator, shocks (2X), chewed tons of brake pads and the check engine light on for Trans slippage for about 45K miles (which I refused to fix) Only after everything was fixed twice did it run up to 210K miles. Glad its gone.

12345...9