Used 2015 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

"The ultimate driving machine" - True .
By Ed Tamer

2015 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The "Good" Kept the car for 3 yrs, and it was great. The body is hard and does not ding easy like the Japanese cars. REALLY nice power and transmission and handling. . Climate control and ambiance lighting is great. The navigation is also great. No mechanical problems at all. The bad: The central air vent does not reach high enough to blow air on the driver's face. The brake squeak at times. Outside of that the car has been amazing that I could not part with it at the end of the lease. So I purchased it .

A Disgrace to BMW
By M

2015 BMW X5 SUV sDrive35i 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

When I first bought this car I thought that it would be a great car. Once I took delivery of the car everything seemed great and perfect. Everything was great the driving the ac. Everything seemed great until exactly a week of driving it that morning I wanted to get into the car but it wouldn't open, so I called roadside assistance they sent a flatbed truck who then jump started the car so then I drove it to the dealership. I gave the dealership the car they told me they were going to fix it after four days they told me to come pick it up when I went to pick it up they told me that there was something wrong with the battery drainage and when I got into the car it said battery failure so I gave it back to them. Then it took them five days to fix it again and every time I called them they would ignore me then it took along time to get it fixed and it didn't get fixed so I gave it back to the dealer which was very hard to give it back to them because they just wanted the money to stay with them. The car turned out to be a lemon and then I felt good that I returned it because if I kept it I would've been keep taking it to them over and over. I wonder how much the "repairs" costed if they weren't covered under the warranty. This car gave a terrible review of BMW and I think they should check their cars better at the factory.

2015 X5 3.5 Diesel. MSport
By Lhull

2015 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Great gas mileage and Road handling. Steering feel is a little bit vague compared to the older BMW's. But steering feel is still better than most other SUVs ...other than the Cayenne. Tech package is great. Screen can't be stowed, but can be turned off. The other reviewer needs to read the owner's manual it's really quite simple. Lots of storage and the noise level is very quiet on the highway. Not a cheap car but you get what you pay for and it's definitely more reliable than the Porsche. Almost 2 years in and no issues to report. Still happy, with the decision. However, California/ Jerry Browns ridiculous new diesel gas tax is making fuel more expensive than planned... hopefully that will be overturned...

fun to drive! the 8 cyl engine is awesome.
By Scott Norin

2015 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

2 negatives. Why do I have to push the stop button twice to turn off the car? And the BSM stinks, why does it only come on at 30mph and put the indicator on the mirror. topview is my favorite feature. Great for parking

Almost Perfect Car, has a few quirks though...
By theahn

2015 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a brand-new car for me and the year or so I've owned it now I have to say that the reliability has been fantastic so far. No problems to speak of, drove a lot (15,000 miles so far), had one service, and still going strong.

THE GOOD STUFF:
As far as a driving machine goes this car is very hard to fault. Coming from a manual transmission car I was afraid I was going to lose some of that sporty fun of shifting gears, but this has a very good select-shift automatic that is fast and doesn't nanny you too bad. The push forward for downshifts and push back for upshifts is also more akin to racing cars, which is great. The MOST amazing thing about this car is definitely the fuel efficiency. For my mix of commuting of road trips, I'm averaging about 26 mpg, which is about the same I got with my old Mark V GTI, which is a 4-cylinder compact car. The fact that I can get that kind of mpg of a car so heavy and powerful is nothing short of amazing. A large thanks to this is the 8 speed transmission, which barely spins the engine when you are in top gear on the highway and still lets you have some low-end power for gentle passing.

Besides that it holds corners very well, brakes well, and acceleration is very strong when you need it. It'll happily cruise at around 80-90 mph and when passing it'll reach up to 115 or so without much trouble. One of my favorite things is that when you are in drive and push shifter to the manual mode, it'll automatically shift down two gears as though it knows you are trying to pass on a narrow road. Even in Comfort mode the ride is quite firm. A lot of people associate "luxury" cars with plush rides and supreme quiet. This is not that car, this is for someone who enjoys driving and feeling the road for sure. It's a refined ride for sure, so you don't feel fatigued even after many hours of driving. It's also got a huge gas tank so you don't have to stop and fill up too often (~5oo miles per fillup) The steering is electric and takes some getting used to I thing, but once you do, you don't really think about it's little weirdnesses too much. The space is immense and it has a lot of storage for items and various small knickknacks.

Besides that It's got all the standard luxury car fare like rain sensing wipers, bright headlights, seat memory, electronic trunk close, backup camera and all that. They all work as they should, but the seat memory is particularly notable in that it memorizes the position of the side mirrors as well, which I feel is the most difficult thing to get right.

THE BAD:
For as much as I like the car, there are a few things that are annoying. The first is the looks, while I like it, I liked the previous generation better, it was more aggressive and masculine. The 2015 one looks a little more subdued and feminine. The driving is great, but it's so heavy and has so many gears that the engine braking is not great on moderate downhills. The only other thing I wish could be improved with the driving experience are the automatic headlights. It seems to come on when it is almost totally dark, I wish it would come on sooner. I've also yet to find a why to prevent the air conditioning to stop turning itself on when you start the car on a hot day. This means I'm constantly turning it off. Like many German cars, it's also a huge hypochondriac in that it tells you to pull over and go to a dealership even when a tire has slightly low pressure due to cold weather. That is very annoying and alarming when you are trying to just drive casually somewhere.

When it comes to the iDrive. The only good thing about the map is how you can instantly zoom in and out with the use of the track wheel thingy, but the routes are really dimwitted. The new letter tracking input is just not easier than the normal track wheel letter selection. It's just too hard to get right at 70 mph. The iPhone/iPod integration is also bad because it is meant to be universal so it works like a really dimwitted file directory sort of system so you can't do advanced features specific to your device. I'm also really disappointed the stereo has no midrange control, it has a great set of speakers, but it's hard to get the midrange out for sure.

The primary reason I chose the X5 over its direct competitors, the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedes M Class, Porsche Cayenne, etc. is that l preferred the look of the exterior and interior over all the others. Having had a BMW in Europe I knew what to expect with the driving experience. What I wasn't prepared for coming from a VW to a this car, in America at least, is just how hated you can be in the real world. People seem much less likely to let you pass on a highway, let you merge, and let you out of side turns. I thought it was imagination, but even my wife noticed that she is definitely treated differently in this car that our other cars.