Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Tank by BMW
By Tim R

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. Period. Is it perfect? Nope, but here is why. We bought it used with 82K and we are at 207K now on the original clutch. Weave had it 8 years now and have grown very attached to it. We were hit solidly from behind with our two boys in the back seat, the car that hit was totaled and we drove home. It has been fantastic in the snow and on the rare occasion that chains are required, it felt unstoppable in a blizzard in about a foot of snow. It is solid on the road and we have even taken it up into the mountains. It is not an off road vehicle, but it can handle its own in rough roads. The seats are extraordinarily comfortable for long trips and the back seats are great for our boys with enough room for a couple of backpacks for toys. It has been very very reliable and we have done a little bit here and there, things that come with cars, brakes, compressor, tires etc. but nothing extraordinary. They do burn oil at higher mileage so you want to watch for that. We chose the 3.0L engine because it is bulletproof and would not get anything larger. It is not necessary and fuel economy suffers. The only downside is it feels like it needs a 6th gear. We keep a log book of all our fill ups and we get 20-21 on average combined and 23 freeway. The back does not pack a lot of room for gear, but most people take too much and on big trips we throw a case on top. This is a fine vehicle and we have loved it and would buy it new again if we could.

Personal expreince with my x5
By EHutty

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car drives great, its comfortable and was my first car. I still own this care and am debating selling it. Ive had a good amount of repairs tipcally nothing serious, both rear window regulators have gone out about 50 bucks each to replace and did it myself. I do all the repairs myself minus this most recent one. My MAF sensor went out but all i had to do was clean it. Its a fun care to have but every few weeks something small breaks and triggers your check engine light. Atleast for me. Most recently my transfer case went out and I put a new starter and replaced all hoses and things in the car. Was debating on selling for a FJ but not sure.

Don't buy the 2003 BMW X5 junk junk junk
By Mayormiller

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I don't know if BMW is still making the X5, maybe they corrected the problems but I know their customer service sucks they will not address the problems with the transmission shifting on its own on flat land going up a hill is cool going down and he'll put it in neutral but I'm flat land is going to shift 3rd to 2nd 4th the 2nd 3rd to 2nd 4th second drives you crazy surprised the engine didn't explode in the one of the engine leaks oil everywhere

Reliable old Rock!
By Cody

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the SAV since new and it still runs like a Swiss watch. One early glitch, fixed by the dealer A.S.A.P. Great dealer experience for years (Boston). I now live in FL and given the age of the car I have it serviced at local shops specializing in BMW/German cars. I baby my cars. This one has 108,000 k. Had it so long it is hard to remember that it was cutting edge when new. It is easy to forget that some of the flashy gizmos available on new cars today were not available in '03. It is a crazy good driver in all weather and conditions. Power/torque feel stronger than stated. Handles, brakes and corners like a thoroughbred. MPG OK for age, better on newer models. Interior has held up well. Had a few minor parts replaced. Dealer did some at no cost after warranty was up. Was a city car, so I gave it a facelift two years ago and looks showroom. Weaknesses? The radio, esp. AM. I don't listen much. FM is better. Diodes are blinking off in the instrument displays, which is a major weakness of all X5's of the era. If you are handy, you can buy rebuilt computer units on Amazon and install yourself. I keep the tires inflated above the stated PSI on the doors and ride and MPG are better. Will be trading in a year or so. Nothing in the current BMW lineup interests me, but have my eye on a MB GLC300.

Update: Recently traded the BMW for a '17 Lexus NX200T. It is proving to be a nice ride. Takes some time to get used to all the new tech. Only quibble so far is infotainment controls are needlessly complicated and overly sensitive. They are a real pain, otherwise a good car. Sound system in the F Sport is amazingly good.

So frustrated :(
By GEN

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

In the beginning im so happy and proud to drive a one of the luxury car. I bought second hand. But everything is falling apart of this car. First smoke coming from my hood , then have a poor AC but was able to fixed it right away. One day I was parked out my drive way and the sprinker kicked in with a high pressure of water due to sprinkler head blew off. water went to my hood and the next thing I know it ruined my stereo speaker - very poor electrical wirings. Then front passenger side window wont work - I had to just not to use it at all. followed by the back passenger door handle wont work and now I looked so stupid before I can get in my car I need to go at the passenger side to open my driver door handle. What on earth!!! what else will be next ? :-/