Used 2009 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW = Bring More Wrenches
By Jr

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

All I can say about BMW is that the design and looks of their cars is amazing. Other than that. Their cars are anything and everything but reliable. BMW is by far the worst piece of crap I’ve ever owned . All kinds of malfunctions and ridiculous issuesthat I had not encountered with any other vehicle. Everything from electrical issues, power window issues, to bad transfer case on my 535 xDrive with barely 100k miles. Really??!! For no freaking reason??! In fewer words. BMW is German junk that is manufactured to break. Whatever you do. Do not buy a BMW. And if you end up buying one by some unfortunate bad decision. Go buy a new one. Don’t go buying a used one. Those things were made to completely break down after 100kmiles. These last few months. My [non-permissible content removed] dashboard was lit up like a Xmas tree! All kinds of faults going on for no reason. From my own experience. I am DONE with BMW . Never again.

Bmw
By Ray Gorski

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car

Love the car, don’t like the repair expenses
By TJC

2009 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a great car. It has great acceleration, a smooth,quiet ride and gives you confidence as it holds the road. I drive a lot of miles with my job and I just love being in this car. My car has many miles on it and I am thinking of a new vehicle, but am scared that whatever I get will not measure up to this. What I don’t like is the repairs. I have literally had to replace every one of the injectors and high pressure pumps. Now most of this was covered under warranty, but BMW knew there was an issue, but would not proactively replace these, so every time one went, I would have to limp one hour to the dealership to get the repairs. If you cannot stomach $1000 repairs etc, this car is not for you. I honestly love BMWs , but may not be considering one due to the exorbitant cost of repairs and maintenance. I absolutely hate going to my dealership as they try to gouge you every time you go there.

Bad transmission and other problems
By Gary Pearson

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2009 BMW 528 i is a dissppointment to say the least. First the back window motor went out so I drive now with a window that is tied so it won't go down then I got a brake job and the next day the transmission failure light goes on with only 76000 miles everyone else I read said theirs didn't go out until around 100 thousand or more and I heard repairs can be $6 grand or more on a car only worth $8 grand, not worth it to fix it if its a major transmission problem. I have a cheap Toyota Corolla with over 200 thousand miles running strong so I spent twice as much on a used BMW about 5 years ago to have it go out sooner then a cheaper car. Now the battery is out as I did not run it for a few weeks and it won't charge, fed up

Lives Up to Its Reputation
By Kurt

2009 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a beast; a wolf in sheep's clothing. I had a chance to drive it through windy VT mountain roads, including on the southern descent from Middlebury Gap (near Middlebury Snow Bowl) on Rt. 125. Those familiar with that route know how steep and windy those roads are. My wife's 5-series handled them with aplomb. I was very impressed. My wife bought this car with 48k miles on it back in 2012, certified pre-owned. The 5-series was her dream car, and this particular vehicle has served her well. The body has stayed in great shape, despite several scratches and dents it has incurred over the years. The interior has held up and endured our spills and messes. There have been no crazy repairs needed, and it drives as good as the day we procured it. Over time, its looks have grown on me. I have come to really appreciate its driving characteristics, and can see why Edmunds had proclaimed it as close to a perfect car as you could buy back in 2009. We have never put snow tires on it for winter, yet never had any problems in the snow, thanks to the xDrive. Currently at approximately 120k miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down. My reverence for it has never been higher. As tempted as we are to trade it in for a newer BMW, we just have no reason to. I can't wait to enjoy this car for more years to come.