Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Looks great, poor performance and ease of use
By Mary Byers

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car looks like a classic design, but with the worse user friendly design, terrible perform, gas mileage, comfort, repair cost, and resale, but that is to be expected given the poor dealer and manufacture and dealer support. Take the key fob design, instead of simply replacing the batt, you have to spend. $150 on a completely new key fob. Poor design that BMW would not stand behind. Their cars have only gotten worse over the years, and my 2001 530i was one of the better cars they made. BMW has lost their edge and that’s a shame.

Expensive chunk of metal
By Tam

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I will never buy another nor recommend a bmw. German arrogance by not addressing major design issues!! My car has 56k miles. Has cracked valve cover ($1300) and morning misfires due to ?? Unknowns.....fuel pump, electronic, coils, injectors,?? Many blogs on this topic, and many people wasting money fixing things that don't need fixing because bmw mechanics can not troubleshoot properly. Really, even crappy cars will never have these problems. Bmw basically sells LEMONS!! Don't make the same mistake as I have!! I will change to Lexus, just change oil on regular basis, relax, and experience little to no issues!!

Almost Perfect...
By cheapdeep

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Third BMW I've owned. BMW got a lot right but they also got a lot wrong. The engine, transmission, styling and handling are all incredible. But everybody knows that.

The ergonomics and interior leave a lot to be desired. BMW really lost the form follows function on this one. The cup holders are obvious but where do I put my sunglasses? I don't have keyless start so what's the point of the start button? Instead of putting in a key and turning, I now have and extra unneeded step to start the car. And iDrive? Everything on there could be replaced by a $40 burner phone from Walmart. It's pretty useless although it does look pretty.

Engine, transmission, power, drive, handling and styling are all spectacular! I can't overstate this, the car is amazing to drive. They got all the hard stuff perfect. It's frustrating since the mistakes are all the easy things they should have down by now.

Ergonomics stink, interior design needs a lot of work. Constant warning lights for everything. Run flats are horrible! Seriously, what was BMW thinking? We are going to take a perfect suspension and add the worst possible tires to it. Bouncy, rough, loud. The BMW dealer where I am isn't very good which is unfortunate since I'm at the dealer for something or another every few months like... the top hasn't stopped rattling since I bought it.

Great Convertible
By Tony

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and my first convertible and I'm duly impressed with both. The car looks and rides great and can be a lot of fun to drive. It's great for long trips as long as your are in the front two seats. Some quirky things like the drive side cup holder is basically on the passenger side and the "wood" interior that's tough to keep clean and spots off of keep the interior from being perfect. The break dust is the absolute worse, especially on the stock 328i wheels. After a year I'm looking to get new wheels because of it. Overall a great car but after getting a 335i as a loaner during maintenance, if I had to do it again it's go for the bigger engine.

Quick folding hard top roof is fantastic. Great styling, front two seats are very comfortable, great highway ride

Get rid of the standard 328i wheels, they are break dust magnates and ruin the look of the car. The rear seat leg room is way too small, even for a small teenager on anything other than 30 minute or less trip. Need a better driver side cup holder.

Functional and Fun
By LeCanard

2009 BMW 3 Series Convertible 335i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't regret buying this car for one second! It is incredibly fun to drive, looks great, and performs like a BMW should. It sticks to the road like glue and makes even the most boring commute bearable with it's performance and style. I have had no problems with this car so far and it has not required any return trips to the dealer. I was going to get the 328 initially, but after driving the 335 I knew I wouldn't be as happy as I am now with the extra HP afforded by the 335.

Automatic transmission with DS mode. DS mode makes an automatic great... went in wanted a manual transmission but after driving the automatic I was converted. Comfort Access - worth it. Push button start - love it. Seats and all the adjustments are great! Interior styling is perfect.

Small cupholders in dash can be awkward. Would like to not have to be perfectly stationary to put top down or up (at least you don't have to be in park). Would like option to not have run flats.