Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

17 yrs old and still lookin good!
By BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 325i. Don't get me wrong, it has its quirks. But for the most part it is a good car and it still looks good enough to make people take a second glance. If I had to list the cons, the main ones would be the cost of repair parts and the lack of roominess for the driver. It just seems a bit cramped at times. If I had to list the pros, the main ones would be the exterior style of the vehicle overall and the turning radius capability (I swear that thing can smoothly turn on a dime). I've always been partial to the look of the 2001 (and other model years as well) bmw 325i. It's definitely got the look of a well built sporty sedan. Mine is black with a shiny mirror like finish when freshly washed. I get compliments on it all the time. It's a fun car to drive but due to the front cabin area not being too roomy, it might not be comfortable on a cross country trip. Considering that mine is a 2001 with over 180,000 miles on it, it's understandable that things go wrong now and then...a power window motor here, a head light module there, etc but the only major component I've had to replace was the radiator so far. I would suggest buying used parts if possible. Especially if u are on a budget bcoz bmw parts can be quite pricey if purchased new. Overall I'm happy with having purchased it and for what I paid for it, I think it was a great deal.

I love my BMW
By Ginny

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This Car is Amazing as well as awesome, it handles great and drives very well. I had a Dodge Charger 2014 and to be honest with you I love my BMW more and it's a lot of fun to drive...0-80 in probably less than 10 seconds. I love my BMW more than any other Car I ever had. I can't say enough good things about my BMW... It's just a Great Car to Own...Your very welcome for the feedback from me. Have a great day and go drive a BMW!!!

Bought off teenager!!
By Missy

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My son graduated Hs and needed a newer car he bought this used obviously. Well It wasn't "cool" enough so he was going to trade it for half the price he paid! I said I'll take it! I've had it 4 years now. I bought it for $4000 I've spent $1200 in repairs total. It does currently need rear struts but I'm trading it in. Find a nice mechanic - tell him your not rich and they can charge you reg prices if they want to! Don't let them bs you saying this is a bmw!! One great thing you can find almost every part and info online in bimmer forums! Air cond quit- was $50 part I could do myself - thanks forum! Drives like a dream, hugs the road! It's moody, and always leaks oil like a harley! I have 109,000 miles on it. No regrets cost me $5200 -including repairs for 4 years!

2001 BMW 325i 4dr 5-speed Automatic
By jdktchkov@gmail.com

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2010 and had it in my possession until 2014. In that time I drove about 50,000 miles. Overall the experience with the car was great. Highway MPG was around 32, with city being a lot lower thanks to the thirsty straight six. The car was by no means a race car, but very on the highway and I never had issues passing cars or trucks. Most of my miles were highways, with a few fun drives in the mountains. Overtime I did need to put some work in it, had a small radiator issue that I was able to fix myself, replacing a release valve screw for $5. But, as the car got older, I ran into further issues. Once my keys died, stopped charging in the ignition, I managed to pull out the locking mechanism after using the key manually. Needed to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, front control arms, the windshield cowling, and breaks. But this, over a 4 year time span wasn't too bad. Towards the end, at around 195,000 miles, the vehicle was going to need a few thousand dollars worth of upkeep and I chose to get rid of it instead. Lastly, the interior pillar cloth started to fall off around 170,000 miles.

Looks great but is always trying to break.
By Mo

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2014 on June and boy was i happy. Loved the looks and performance. IT was always polished and detailed once a month since the start of time. 2 months after buying this from BMW dealer from a one owner the belts and pulleys went bad. I Took it to the shop and had it replaced with the OEM parts. "Note i only did OEM replacements for everything your about to read." My shop during the repair found out the front axel had gone bad as well as the engine mounts and transmission mounts. Reminder to those reading my shop is a very reliable shop in the Bay Area with 100+ cars a day. So after finding out bought the new axel with the mounts right away. Drove the vehicle for a month and everything was ok. Winter night decided to go get a Starbucks coffee before i took off to go flying, "reminder i am a pilot". As i walk back i notice severe smoke coming from the hood. I popped the hood open the and expansion tank was cracked. I had the car towed to the shop and had that changed right away. As they where checking the saw the hose was bad as well as the water pump and the radiator looked as though it was ready to go. Ended up replacing all the parts right away thinking id keep the car still. A month goes by after all that and i get a check engine light after driving from Los Angelas. I diagnose the code since i use to work on cars at one point and it was the O2 Sensors. Jeez Lucky me it was the month i had to smog the car. Again back to the shop and had the O2 sensors replaced. Very expensive. After driving back from the shop i notice smoke again from the hood. Look under Valve cover gasket was bad. Turned around and left the car over night till they replaced that. I drive the car for two months and again smoke from the hood. I check and again valve cover leak. I take it to the shop and it was not the cover but the valve cover its self that went bad. $300 is the cost of that cover. I said screw it ill deal with it. YES the valve cover was torqued correctly when i had the gasket changed. Another month goes by and on the free way i get a check engine light and the car down shifted harshly to send gear from 4th. Found out the alternator went bad. Ridicoulas. I was about ready to destroy this car. Note i did change the differential fluid and the transmission fluid right away when i bought the car due to this generation having transmission problems on the automatic version. 3 months or so went by from all the BS and i decide to go to the snow with my new continental DWS tires. When i got on the freeway and got close to lake Tahoe and to the snow the steering wheel got very very heavy.... Power steering killed it self. Regardless since it was gone i was already in the snow. Drove it and ill say despite not having power steering this car handles amazing in the snow. So when i got back i poured a temporary power steering fluid fix. Aprox a week went by when i put the fluid and i was rear ended by a jeep in traffic and i hit the car in front. The impact was very hard. The winch on the jeep hit me and i damaged the impala in front. The front didn't have a scratch beside the license plate frame damaged on my car but the impala was damaged from behind. The back bumper had a hole but over all it was a hard hit and it coped well. Two months later sold the car with bad power steering and shocks. Never again buying a new BMW. Now driving a 2006 C55 AMG Mercedes. Ive always owned Mercedes and never again will i buy a bmw. My relative had a 1994 318i and that was bullet proof, close to 400,000, parts original. Other relative 2000 528i with 340,000 miles. It was also bullet proof. Both cars great. Other relative had a 2004 530i and had problems with tranny and electronics. 2006 325i electrical problem. 2008 750li electrical and engine problems. Overall BMW is not the ultimate driving machine and they are problematic. I SPENT $6,000 in repairs in a little over two years! IT DID 14MPG combined. Only freeway it did 25MPG. WORST DECISION IVE EVER MADE BUYING THIS CAR!