Used 2011 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Great until about 115K miles
By Let Down

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Loved this vehicle until the engine started burning oil at 115K miles. Online forums showed I was not the only one with this issue. Great ride and handling, lousy mileage with premium fuel. I would rate this vehicle a 5 star if it would have lasted as long as I was hoping it would.

Can I buy a brand new 2011 Acura MDX?
By Micro

2011 Acura MDX Advance and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle has 118,000 miles on it and has never needed a repair (I don’t count one brake replacement or tires). Just a phenomenal, reliable vehicle.

Nearly Perfect
By LeawoodEsq

2011 Acura MDX Technology and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

The 2011 Acura MDX with Technology and Entertainment packages is a very good mid-sized SUV . Some reviews call it a large SUV, but to the owner of a Chevy Suburban and a GMC Acadia, it is mid-sized and shows it most in the third row seating. Other reviews have covered the high points - quality of materials, driving position, handling, power, transmission, and the fantastic ELS sound system among them - so I am going to focus on the few things that detract and may have all been corrected in the latest model. The backup camera at night that is so dark it is dangerous to rely on for backing up. The radio tuning knob seems to be geared at 50:1 - you'll know what I mean when you try to go from Channel 18 to Channel 176 on Sirius/XM. The side mirrors do not fold electrically. The tailgate that does not power open when using the outside hand release. The third row seats do not power up and down, an inconvenience when hands are full. And there is no push-button start/keyless entry, which is hard to explain when so many other contemporary, comparable vehicles have it. On balance, however, I enjoy owning and driving the 2011 MDX. The engine pulls well, the transmission always seems to be in the correct gear and drops down quickly for rapid acceleration, and the steering is quick. The relatively short wheelbase makes parking easy. The high-beam headlights are as outstandingly bright as the backup camera is dim at night. The center stack of the dashboard - the topic of broad criticism - is straightforward if you compartmentalize it into three sections: top for HVAC, middle for media, and bottom for navigation/information. The ride is compliant and not too harsh for an SUV. The buttery-soft leather seating is of a very high grade and the front and second-row seats are very comfortable. After 67,000 miles it looks brand new. A great mid-sized SUV that seats five adults comfortably and two children in the third row in a pinch.

My MDX
By Harvey Segal

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

One of the best cars I ever owned but I promised it to my seventeen year old grandson when he got his drivers license which will be next month

Be Wary of Surprisingly Expensive Repairs
By Mike Greteman

2011 Acura MDX Advance and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 MDX used from a family member, who had put 100,000 highway miles on the vehicle. For the most part, I have been very happy with the performance of the vehicle, however I was shocked to receive a $4,000 estimate to replace my front struts and rear shocks from the dealer for the car's "electronic" suspension. At the dealership, the Acura maintenance person told me the expense would be covered under the extended warranty. As Acura had extended the warranty particularly for problems with the SUV's electronic suspension, they had acknowledged the problem and were doing the "right" thing by repairing it for free. However, the maintenance person went back on his word and subsequently informed me that my vehicle actually did not qualify for the extended warranty. I further voiced my complaints by calling the Acura Care line, and the representative told me there was a good chance that Acura could make a "goodwill exception" for my vehicle, allowing the repair to be covered under the warranty. However, once the representative called me back, he informed me that because I bought the car with greater than 100,000 miles on it, albeit from a relative, it did not qualify. I just wanted to post this review to draw attention to my experience. Overall, I have enjoyed the car, however I will never buy an Acura again. $4,000 - $7,000 expenses on a car worth $17,000 doesn't make sense, and I’ve been very disappointed by the false promises made by the company.