Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love my Beetle!
By karmagirl7

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I absolutely LOVE this car! The only weird thing is the crayon smell in the car, but everything else is awesome! I love the entertainment package and the MP3 option, when I am bored wtih everything else. This car handles like a champ - I feel like I am in a true high performance vehicle.

Favorite Features

The entertainment package and the ease to drop the top!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the funky smell!

Got a Smoking Hot Deal!!
By karinalynne

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car less than a month ago, the second day I drove it, it stalled out at an intersection and I had to have it towed back to the dealership (burnt a coil and blew a fuse). Within a week later, the same thing happened again and again. Finally had to take it to a mechanic, said all 5 coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced. A week after that, I decided to just trade it in for something more reliable. On the way to the dealership, it stalled, started smoking and then caught on fire. It is now totaled and it is the worst car I have ever purchased. Save your time, its a cute car, but its NOT worth it.

Favorite Features

Gets up to speed quick, when it runs.

Suggested Improvements

Blows coils faster than you can replace them. Then blows fuse and possibly melts the connector, concluding to never ending problems.

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions. I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems. So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all. I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible). The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing. Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of. A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc". Too many problems to list.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

Favorite Features

best factory stereo i ever heard

Suggested Improvements

bigger back window

Not what I expected
By maciosaig

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and after buying an 07 Passat and being extremely satisfied with that car I figured Id be just as pleased with the bug. Was I in for a shock I've owned convs in the past so I was away of frame/body flex but this car takes it to new extremes. The handling sucks, power is poor and comfort is great for the driver and front passenger, and my small 3 year just about fits in the back seat. Now there is a rattle in the front end somewhere and the thing is noisy on the highway. For the money they charge these cars should be much more powerful and handle better. I'm not sure how the fit and finish will stand up over the next few years, but I'm not confident

Favorite Features

The retro look and power top

Suggested Improvements

Much more power, better fuel economy, better handling, better build quality, and much lower price-its built in Mexico with super low production costs there is no reason this car should cost this much. I would not recommend this car at all.