Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Steer Away If You Want a Safe Car
By Hayley

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Black Tie Edition 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am 19 years old and received this car as a birthday present less than 2 years ago, the car seemed great at first running fantastically until small little headaches started happening. First it was my keys getting stuck in the ignition when trying to turn the car off, i couldn't even go to class that day because i couldn't turn the car off. Then it was the multiple windows breaking in the car that would go down but then not come up (driver, passenger side, and driver's back window). The car did fairly well in the snow, coming from Connecticut we get our fair share- the car has good control but there's absolutely no weight to the car so i found myself skidding and struggling to get up hills. My last experience with this car was the accident i got in it about a week ago. I rear ended the back of a pick up truck on the highway going 40 miles per hour, easy to say my car was totaled. It was a horrifying experience because i felt no security in the car whatsoever when getting into the accident, there's so little to the car if i hit any harder the entire front of my car would've been gone probably. It's a cute, fun summer car that's nice to drive around if you live in the right conditions. But please take this from me, if you're considering buying your child this car, PLEASE look into better safety features. This car has absolutely no protection to it if you were to get in a serious accident.

Love my Beetle!
By karmagirl7

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I absolutely LOVE this car! The only weird thing is the crayon smell in the car, but everything else is awesome! I love the entertainment package and the MP3 option, when I am bored wtih everything else. This car handles like a champ - I feel like I am in a true high performance vehicle.

The entertainment package and the ease to drop the top!

Get rid of the funky smell!

Got a Smoking Hot Deal!!
By karinalynne

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car less than a month ago, the second day I drove it, it stalled out at an intersection and I had to have it towed back to the dealership (burnt a coil and blew a fuse).

Within a week later, the same thing happened again and again. Finally had to take it to a mechanic, said all 5 coils and spark plugs needed to be replaced.

A week after that, I decided to just trade it in for something more reliable.
On the way to the dealership, it stalled, started smoking and then caught on fire.

It is now totaled and it is the worst car I have ever purchased. Save your time, its a cute car, but its NOT worth it.

Gets up to speed quick, when it runs.

Blows coils faster than you can replace them. Then blows fuse and possibly melts the connector, concluding to never ending problems.

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions.
I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems.
So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all.
I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible).
The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing.
Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of.
A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc".
Too many problems to list.

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

best factory stereo i ever heard

bigger back window