2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Bitten By My Bug

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Bitten By My Bug
By M. Young on

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love driving my bug (even put German tags on the front) - I get compliments from total strangers on it all the time...they say it suits me (I guess I look like the artist/musician I am). All was great until 9 days after my purchase (4200 mi) my check engine light came on. Repeated 13-14 times in the next two years, plus speakers rattled, seat frame on driver's side broke more than once (try driving in a bobbling seat). Rubber coating on inside door handles peeling, interior fabric liner on convertible came loose and draped over window. Thank goodness all repairs so far have been under warranty! Looking for more reliable transport now, but will miss my bug's "cute as a bug" smile. :-(

Body style, convertible, cool red and blue interior lights, tan and black interior, wind screen, great pick up and go, fog lights, love the heated seats - they are better than in my husband's Miata - careful not to burn your biscuits!

Higher quality parts, more reliable manufacturing, cup holders too far under dash and they get in the way of the mp3 input, better interior lighting.