Waited Two Years...
By Dr. Woo on
2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
In 2004 at the Paris Auto Salon, I sat in a first-run European-spec 2004 VW GTI in Candy White. The quality of the interior and exquisite attention to detail alone convinced me that I had to have one. Two years later, VWoA released it and I picked one up the second day I was back in the States in Tornado Red (as my German friend said, "the only color of the GTI"). The driving dynamics, build quality, and powerful 2.0TFSI engine all combine to make a magnificent driving experience. I have yet to suffer a single problem (knock on wood) with 5,500 miles. I'm lucky to have a wonderful dealer in my area.
Favorite Features
The steering wheel and feel, the pull of the engine anywhere on the tachometer, its tossability, the quality and design of the interior, the fuel economy, the styling, the little touches of attention to detail typical of a VW, and of course the price.
Suggested Improvements
Bring over the European-market cloth seats! They're more adjustable, higher quality, and more bolstered. Improve the HVAC (it gets hot in southern GA). Make the center console ashtray liner removable for easy disposal of trash. Do the same for the cupholders for easy cleaning.