2006 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: 3,308 lbs of fun

2006 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual)

3,308 lbs of fun
By John from NJ on

2006 Volkswagen GTI New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While only owning this car for about a month, I've had the opportunity to take a couple of 250 mile trips. On the interstates, this car is fairly civilized and comfortable; it's an absolute blast on the back roads. The exhaust note stirs the soul without being obnoxious. Driving around town sounds like it would be bothersome as my car is a 6-speed manual but, the gearing is such that you're only shifting to 3rd gear and possibly dropping it in 5th if you can cruise. This car is considered by some to be expensive for its class. I feel that you get what you pay for. What I paid for is a very well made, fun to drive, economical and well thought out car.

Favorite Features

The acceleration and handling! The seats are very comfortable and supportive. The rear wiper automatically starts when you back up with the windshield wipers on.

Suggested Improvements

The only disappointment in this car is the wind buffeting when the sunroof is at any point passed half open. As well thought out as this vehicle is, that one flaw appears to be a huge oversight.