2004 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
It does nothing wrong
By clarkma5 on 11/05/12 20:15 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my '04 GTI since it was new and I've just ticked over the 80k mark (this is my second GTI, after a '02 Tiptronic). It has never once had a mechanical or electrical problem. I've done just about everything in it...5 people and their stuff, track days, commuting, long road trips, backroad drives, snow, rain, sun, traffic, moving...short of towing or off-roading there's nothing it doesn't do competently or better. It's such a delightfully well-built car, it's no surprise that VW didn't actually profit from the MkIV Golf. Yes maintenance is important, but isn't it with every car? Do it on schedule and it's unbeatable!

Best used car I've ever had
By rooyax on 07/10/11 20:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this in 09 with 91k, now have 105k. The quality of the interior is top notch, love the feel of the switch gear. Shifting and clutch action on the 5 speed is very smooth. Get around 24mpg mostly city driving, 30mpg hiway. I have the 17" rims which really look sharp. Great stereo too. Only repair besides tires in 2.5 yrs was coil modules that caused it to run like it was on 2 cylinders, was able to limp to shop in that shape. Check engine light is persistent for coolant temp, but confirmed that actual temp matches gauge, not hot. Just enough fun to drive with a couple blasts through 1st & 2nd with great cornering, but not too much power to get in trouble. Broke console hinge

7 VWs and I love each of them
By TheRaven on 05/29/10 11:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 GTI is number 7 on my list of VWs I have owned. Aside from the ridiculous place of the cup holders (which I am now over) I love all of this car. I have 76k on it now and it runs great. Everyone who complains about the quality of their VW does not follow the directions provided by VW. You must use full synthetic oil, preferably from the approved oil list from VW. You must do routine maintenance when it is supposed to be done. I always do my maintenance on time and I have had a variety of VWs go to nearly 300k miles. Treat the car nicely, drive it nicely, fix whatever breaks. If a person acts like they like the car and takes care of it, it will last.

I love my 2004 GTI
By Steven A. Smith on 09/16/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2004 GTI as much as when I first bought it. I have owned it for almost five years and put almost 100000 miles on it. It has been in the shop twice for repairs, AC and blown cam gasket, It has never left me on the side of the road.

fast and ugly
By fubar on 04/06/08 23:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has got to be the ugliest car I have ever owned!! However, this little car will pass almost anything on the road. I picked up the car with 7k miles (it now has 60k) and have had no problems, even after having the computer, exhaust and intake re-worked for more power. It loves to be punished! Loads of interior room is a bonus for such a small car. This is my first vw and I must say I'm impressed. Fuel economy is great if you keep your foot out of the turbo, but what fun is that?

Bangin' for the Buck
By DubWise on 02/02/08 09:31 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my '04 in May of '04. Immediately installed a chip. Noticeable jump to 215 horses still with good gas milage. Excellent handling I take turns confidently well above the posted mph (have to know the car and its limits). K&N Also a must. Easily modifiable without going into the engine block. Was going to buy a BMW. Wife has 328 5 spd. Believe it or not I like my GTI more. May still buy a 5 series or a 3 convertible but a VW may still be in the future. I would buy VW again. Knock on wood, no mechanical failure. Did have a sun roof problem resolved and under warranty.

Great car
By tom on 09/26/07 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one of the best cars I have owned. I came from an Integra GS-R that was nice but this car out does it in almost every way. The interior is wonderful, the materials used are top notch. Think of it as an Audi without the price. It is solid as a rock as well as being quick and torquey (I know it's not a word). I couldn't recommend it more!!

My Little Pocket Rocket
By Jason on 09/07/07 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My GTI was already lowered and had larger wheels and other suspension components installed by the previous owner so the ride is bit stiff, but it corners and jumps up from a stop like a champ! I'm totally sold on German engineering. I came from a Mustang background and while this car can't touch a Mustang in a straight line, when it comes to the full sense of drivability and fit and finish, the Mustang with all its plastic pieces and jittery noises can't compete with the GTI. I won't even mention my gas mileage improvement... that goes without saying. An all around great little car and an absolute pleasure to own.

Not Bad For a Box Car
By Here for the Runnin' on 06/27/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First, this car is a great travel car, the gas mileage is amazing! Performance and handling is great as long as you learn to get past the turbo lag (thank goodness for the 5-speed manual!). Interior could use some work. Plastic started popping apart at the 2 year mark and the seat does not accommodate heavier people which makes it uncomfortable to drive! It is not too bad with one child the way the front seats flip up and plenty of interior room! You can carry almost anything in this car and get there fast and for a factory radio it is great! I am not a big fan of box shaped cars but this one I have to say (since my hubby loved it) is not bad for a box car!

Turbo Commuter
By driver on 04/04/07 17:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a fun little car? Great Styling. Turbo lets me squirt through traffic with ease. Great utility. Comfortable on long trips. Haul around stuff when you need to by folding rear seat. Spent two weeks on the road out west camping with this car with mountain bikes on the roof. Still plenty of power and extremely supportive seats. Mazda 3 owner stopped me in the badlands. She was from chicago. she asked me how I liked the v-dub. I told her it's the most awesome car. She said her car was killing her. She was turning it in as soon as she got back to chicago. Go for the leather, 17's and monsoon, you won't be dissappointed unless you're not really looking for hot hatch.

1 2 3 4 5 next »