2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Excellent car, even for parents with 1 baby!
By steveygti on 01/26/12 17:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2001 VW GTI 1.8T GLS. I bought this car brand new and now I have about 171k miles. This car has been a phenomenal experience for me the past 11 years. In spite of what people say about 'electrical problems, etc.' with VWs, this car had none whatsoever. The only things i had to replace since i bought this car were a new alternator (at 125k miles) and a new a/c compressor (at 168k miles). I regularly took this car in for an oil change and check up to VW. I am sad to let this car go and sell it so i can buy an suv since my family is growing into 4! Im thinking about getting VS again!

Love this car
By Amy on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No mods and I'm terrible at maintenance. I pay about $1000 every other year on maintenance, usually get get rid of the check engine light. Love the car. I'm going to keep it as long as it keeps going. I can't find another car with all the features this has. Manual is the way to go. Even as a used car I would recommend. Quite reliable.

150k miles new
By torchmonkey on 06/27/10 21:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have owned vw most on my post high school life. from an 02 5 spd vr6 gti to a 03 vr6 6 spd jetta. great cars when taken care of and modded properly. stay away from the automatics, and enjoy on a back road once in awhile. currently own a 2001 gti 1.8t. great gas mileage. bit of a hit on power from the vr6 cars i'm used to but can be made up in parts and the 1.8 definitely handles better. my current car has 160k on it and runs like new. interior is showing signs of wear around the ac controls, console, and ignition. shall be replaced soon. rolled my 02 gti 2.5 times at highway speed and 3 ppl walked away unharmed. (perrelli tire went flat and came off the rim). so i don't buy perrelli's anymore.

Ups and Downs
By JT on 12/07/09 23:01 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car in desperate need of a way to get to work, didn't really research it. The performance is good and bad. The turbo is great, very fun, but the engine sometimes jumps when I try to give it gas at lower speeds. Interior is cheap, I've already had broken lights, switches, and compartment handles. Its also too easy to leave scratch marks on interior parts, just rub your fingernail and bits of black dust come right off. I only average at about 23 mpg which is pathetic. Note to all buyers, solve these performance problems with a manual, not automatic. Alternator keeps giving out at 40000 miles too, not sure about that..

Where did it go wrong?!?!
By Nick on 04/15/08 07:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fun to drive. The handling and power are average. I recommend the '02 and up GTIs (30 more HP). All the rumors about the electric and use of cheap parts are true. The sunroof drainage tubes are cheap rubber hoses that will leak on you. The power windows will go out on you. The cheaper stock turbo hoses will leak or bust. Get use to seeing the check engine light on. stock suspension is too high and loose for the handling one might want. I recommend upgrading to the 20th/337 GTI suspension. I am on my second oil pan and second fuel pump. Get the timing belt done as soon as possible. If that goes out it takes the whole engine with it. Poor design!!

Rocket in my pocket
By Engulfed1.8t on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive car with zippy handeling. Not exactly a power hugry street beast but a refined scalpal. Easily upgraded for 50 more ponies all inside a little chip. Cult like fallowing with dedicated clubs and events. Oh, and a magazine (euro tuner). VW service is a little slow to respond but the car is built well on the outside and under the hood, Audi engineering.

Great idea, terrible execution
By das26_2 on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car could be one of the best for a small sporty cars. My car has been in the shop 12 TIMES for ignition coil problems and there has been little to no satisfaction from Corporate. This is my 4th VW and by far the one with the most problems. The coils will have you in the shop every couple months and the service is terrible.

Drive Fast
By Love to Drive Fast on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 1.8T just turn 2 and it has been fun. I usually buy a new car every 2-3 years because of the heavy mileage I do. However, I think I'll keep this little gem a little longer and maybe do a few upgrades. I just don't think I can part with it. It's fast, handles great, and loves to go hard. You can't beat this car up, it was meant for hard driving. I'm often in the drivers seat for hours at a time a find the seating and controls very comfortable. It has the comfort of a much larger car, yet handles nimbly. The only negative was the window problem others have experienced, but my dealer fixed it right away. No problems since.

MINE MINE MINE!!!
By GTI-Zak on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine new in 07/2001. Added the 17" rims and sport suspension - resulting in absolutely amazing handling. Only 2 warranty items - driver side window regulator (common problem) and an ignition coil blew (apparently a known issue and now replaced with a new design). The dealership replaced both window regulators with new metal ones and both ignition coils with the newly re- designed one. After 2-1/2 years the occasional odd little interior creaks are a bit annoying. Overall I'm very pleased with this wicked little speed demon. The GTI is a fantastic vehicle and is highly recommended!

value
By turbodude on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

bought new for less than $20,000 three years ago. the power during the test drive convinced me to buy it. solid feel of a german car puts my old honda to shame. my first car was vw bug in 1972 so it was kind of like coming home to an old friend. the only problem i've had is the engine light sometimes comes on in cooler weather (ignition coil factory recall?). i suppose my only real complaint is that i need to be aggressive with the clutch when the light turns green to keep up with the automatic transmissions.