Above average car
By na121w on
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I have had this car for about 6 months so far having put 5000 miles on it. I saw many reviews on here that reflected the car returned an average MPG rating of over 44 mpg. My average since i have owned the car is 35mpg. While not as high as other have claimed it is still very good and higher than the 34mpg EPA estimate. Car is fun to drive for a fwd economy car. Only issue I have encountered with the car is the steering. Ever since i had the car the steering wheel needs to be turned slightly left to drive straight. The dealer said it was due to a crown in the road; however, it still requires the wheel to be turned to the left even on flat roads without crowns.
Favorite Features
The electronics are very easy to use. Steering wheel controls are nicely laid out. Keyless access is by far my favorite feature on this car. No other car in its class will match is driving characteristics. Handling is on par with much more expensive FWD cars. Drove the Jetta as well. I don't like hatchbacks but after driving the Golf and Jetta TDI back to back, I discovered that the Golf is far more fun to drive and has a much better interior. The pictures do not do it justice. You have to sit in them both to know what everyone is raving about.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see a few more adjustments on the drivers seat, manual adjustments would be fine. The premium sound system could use more depth in the bass. Perhaps add a sub under the seats. Most importantly a leather seat option. You can get leather on the TDI in Canada and Europe, just not in the US. The GTI also has a leather option. A leather option is something you expect to be offered when purchasing a $30,000 car (yes the sticker with the 4 door Tech package was just over 30k). Despite a few short comings this is by far a teriffic car. Go out and test drive all of the cars you are considering. If you like Golf best go for it. Its worth the extra money. You will not be disappointed.
By wishdoctor
on 10/28/12 09:16 AM (PDT)

To get the best milage drive with the imediat fuel average on. this tell you the fuel milage you will get at that exact time be light footed and you will see 46mpg i do all the time hell on long trips we see 50 to 55 mpg use the cruise a lot even at low speeds and shift early and often let me know how that works for you