Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

I love my Rav
By Deborah

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you didn't know this was a four cylinder vehicle, you wouldn't know by its performance. It has far more useful extras, even in the base model I have, than any of the competitors. It also has more storage, hidden, accessible and functional storage - all three. The tailgate is easy to open and the drive is smooth for an SUV except at extremely low speeds (under 20 mph) and even then not bad. I love this car and am glad I chose it. Fuel economy seems to be greater so far than specified on the government websites. Seats are extremely easy to fold up and they fold up flat and low - better than any other model I looked at, and I looked at a lot of them. This is important as I have dogs.

Favorite Features

Super white color. Very Comfortable seats. Radio and gauges sit high and they are easy to glance at. Split glove compartment and place for sunglasses.

Suggested Improvements

When I go for my first service, I'm going to tell them to turn off the seat belt reminder that pings at me constantly. I live on acreage and don't need to wear a seatbelt on my own long driveway!

I love my RAV4
By Dan

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Once I decide to trade in my car I wanted something with more cargo than my Nissan Altima. My first choice was the new Mazda 3 5 doors. While doing my research I came across the Toyota Rav4. It rates the same MPG but has more cargo space, about the same price and looks way better. Reading reviews and comparing all the competitors I chose the 2009 Toyota RAV4. It has the power (4 cyl), it has the looks (no cheap black plastic going around the bumper) and the Toyota Reputation. It rides nice, quiet and firm. Driving in the city so far I got 26.2 mpg and still going up. I can't wait to see how much I get at our road trip to the north.

Favorite Features

Love the hidden compartment and cargo. The economic package sure is a deal.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the roof antenna. It is too long and you can't adjust it. It hits my garage door so I had to replace it with a smaller one from Autozone.

Owner for 2 weeks
By Kristen

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our new Rav4 two weeks ago. I love it. One thing I did notice was that when I was driving on the highway and opened just the two back windows and not the front, the interior of the auto sounded like a freight train. It was very loud and the pressure actually hurt my ear drums.

Favorite Features

I like that the seats in back recline. I also appreciate that there is a lot of leg room in back.

Suggested Improvements

Better seals to help reduce noise.

Almost perfect
By Laurie

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After months of research & test drives, the RAV4 won out for several reasons. It really is fun to drive, well laid out, has super comfy seats and my tall husband can fit without knocking his head off. The only negative is the front seat headrests. They are extremely uncomfortable for someone with neck problems. However, I popped mine out, turned it around and the problem was solved. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket option.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, plenty of pep, roomy well thought out interior.

Suggested Improvements

The front seat headrests must go.

Fits its purpose well
By iisrael1

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It's exhilarating driving this car as the acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder engine. It gets great gas mileage on the highway-about 35 mpg averaging about 25-26mpg with mixed driving. The car is a little noisy on the highway but with music on its not noticeable. The interior could be better but for a base model its pretty good when compared to the forester or the CRV. Also not to mention the brawlik exterior look if gotten in black.

Favorite Features

MPG, seats, number of cubbies and the storage space

Suggested Improvements

improve the interior, a little too much hard plastic- improve the quality of the radio