2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Reliable SUV for 20k
By santoshmanya on 04/06/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My initial choice was Honda CRV but after test driving it I found it was a bit noisy and sluggish pickup. I rented 2008 Rav4 and driven it on Highway from Atlanta, GA to Memphis, TN and found it stable between 75 to 95 MPH, but just under powered and little louder. Finally decided to buy 2009 Rav4 2WD I4, as it has a refined engine (Dual VVTi) with more fuel economy and power. I wanted to buy a vehicle which fits in my budget and able to drive to work and also long trips with space for Cargo. I did not go for a V6 (269 hp) as I4(179 hp) is sufficient and I donít want to get more speeding tickets with V6. My previous car was Camry V6.

Great Handling
By Al on 04/06/09 07:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We replaced My wife's 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with our new RAV4. We live in the Hills in Connecticut and our 2.5L 4-cyl climbs the hills very well - so much better then our previous Jeep. Handling is superb. Gas mileage has been averaging 22.5 mpg, which is a little bit disappointing. Would highly recommend the mud guards which are about $58.00 at dealers cost. They prevent road grime being tossed up the side of the vehicle. Also they are easy to install. Overall this vehicle is a great buy for the money.

Here in the Real World
By Doug on 04/01/09 10:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our Rav 4 in Febuary and so far so good. Typical Toyota quality. Snow, ice, and now mud doesn't slow this baby down. Although it's not a hardcore 4X4, it does the job. I'd buy another one tomorrow.

The GTO of SUV's
By Don on 03/31/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The sport package with the V-6 was the clincher. The i-4 is more than adequate but the 6 is in a different league; quiet, smooth and very quick. The Rav looks better in "sports wear" as opposed to the Limited's "formal attire". No spare tire on the back of the Sport V-6, is a big plus (run flat tires maybe not so much; we'll see). I've never been crazy about the dash and they're a little stingy w/options. Fit and finish are great and Toyota reliability is tough to beat.

I wish I had been warned.....
By Appl on 03/31/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

There is no worse feeling than taking the plunge and realizing you made a mistake. It took me 3 days to realize I married the wrong man but only ONE to regret buying this car. The Rav4 is cute with that snappy little 4 cylinder engine with good gas mileage. However, the poor design of the interior rains on my parade. The front seats are flat and tilted down-- leaving me to slip off at every turn. The head rests eat into my head. The sound system is so poor it muffles human voices on am radio. Entertainment and temperature controls are too poorly lit to see in sunglasses. There is no way to hold the tiny steering wheel comfortably and no arm rests. Cheap fabric tops off the look.

Rav4 is unreliable and disappointing
By cartroubles2 on 03/30/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the not so proud owner of a 2009 Rav4. At 131km it had its first visit to the shop with the A/T Oil indicator light illuminated. It took three more trips to the shop to fix the problem. Now at 3000km it is back in the shop with AWD, slip control, and engine indicator lights on. It has also failed to start and down shifts with the grace of a new driver in a standard transmission car. I am getting absolutely no help from Toyota Canada or the dealer that I bought this lemon from. The only nice thing about this car is the paint job.

Fun to drive but too noisy
By SUV lover on 03/27/09 20:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This new SUV is indeed fun to drive. I couldn't wait each day to drive it. 4 cycler engine still has enough power making acceleration sharp. So, everything is good except for one thing: too noisy when accelerating. I found the noise is not coming from engine but from poor insulation or design of exhaust system. I recommend the manufacture should recall to replace this noisy system with quite one. I feel strongly that once this noise issue is solved, the RAV4 4X4 base model can be the best selling SUV in the world and people will love it even more. Sincerely hope the manufacturer will listen to our voices.

Moving forward
By frafael on 03/22/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I decided give a try for RAV4 after good experience with my wife Siena08. 2009 RAV4 is very roomy and I bought a full load Limited. My previous experience was a much heavier LR Discovery V8, and RAV4 performer better, thanks to light body and very well designed transmission. The interior everything are very well resolved, but the material looks cheaper, even leather trim is not first class. There are excessive noise in cabin, combined from engine and road. Update, combined millage is 21mpg, not bad for a I-4 AWD, but I don't think I'll get promised 27mpg freeway.

Rough Ride
By kim on 03/20/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I hate this vehicle. The ride is so rough and the road noise is very loud. Toyota should be ashamed of this. I regret not buying a Chevy equinox. I will never buy Toyota again.

Rav Sport; the GTO of SUV's
By Don on 03/20/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We checked them all out; CRV's, Rogues, Outlanders and Tiguan, etc. All had their points. We chose the Rav because of the build quality, the great lease deal, and the hot 265 hp V- 6 that gets mpg almost as good as the 4. It's really quick, with great handling; lots of fun to drive. The Rav sport w/ the V-6 is the only Rav without a tailgate mounted spare. You get "run flat" tires instead. We'll see how that works out. The Rav is a total package choice; I don't think it wins, hands down, in any one category but is a solid choice across the board, including great resale (if you purchase). We were looking to get a little pizzaz in an otherwise functional vehicle; the RAV4 Sport 6 delivers.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$96 per month*