Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

A Great Choice
By John

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We needed a vehicle with a large enough rear seat for a child seat and an infant seat and easy to get the kids in and out of. This RAV-4 is the perfect choice. This vehicle seems small on the outside, but it has unbelievable space inside. The cargo area (without 3rd row seats) is huge and the 2 storage bins under the floor are a bonus. Rear seats truly fold flat unlike many others. This one is a V6 Limited with all options except navigation. This thing is very fast and the fuel economy is pretty amazing. We get 24-25mpg on local driving and we've seen 32 mpg on the road. A very versatile vehicle for an active family.

V6 power, smooth transmission, great fuel economy, inside space, easy access, Toyota reliability.

I don't care for the outside mounted spare but it does add inside space. Others have said the front seats lack thigh support for taller persons and I agree. Electric power steering lacks "feel".

"Sport" is not just a name
By George

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought Sport version because I wanted a black interior - Limited not available in cloth. Dealer Salesperson indicated slightly tighter and slightly harsher ride. Also indicated that suspension was somewhat programmable if really needed. Term "harsher" was understated. Can't keep coffee from spilling on local access roads and can't "program" suspension according to dealer's service dept. Took on trip to NYC - ride on highway OK - not fatiguing. Ride in NYC would have been smoother in a horse & buggy. Noise, Handling, and overall Fuel MPG are really better than I expected. Only clear fault is the Spare Tire Carrier. Quality of fit is unsatisfactory and this quirk will haunt you forever.

Like hidden compartment in rear and ease of use of audio.

Retro-fit Sport Model Spare Tire Cover with same Limited Cover due to 17" Wheels versus the 16" Wheels on standard models. Cover is 2 piece composition that does not fit properly on 17" Spare - Limited has a snap to it.

Wow - much better than I had hoped for
By Andy

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just returned from a trip from New York to Rhode Island with my brand new RAV4 4-cylinder - was not sure whether to buy the 4 or 6 cylinder and did much research, as well as test drives on both. Got caught up in all the Cash for Clunker garbage and purchased the 4. I am normally a bit heavy on the pedal, and this baby did not let me down. No problem whatsoever. She was a rocket - plenty of nerve. I had test driven the V6 - good, but no need for such a large hsp engine in such a light vehicle. Save your $$$$$. Vehicle was tops in every meaning of the word and I am very picky - an excellent driving experience. Cheers to Toyota.

California Rav4
By KC

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We own a generation 1 rav4 and have nearly 250,000 miles on it. We have a baby on the way and needed more room for a car seat. We test drove a few other makes and models and ultimately decided to buy a new rav4. I really enjoy the peppy 4cyl engine and the decent gas mileage. I am 6'1" tall and find the front leg room to be a bit lacking. Also, the new rav4 doesn't brake as well as our old rav4. However, the new rav4 turns easier and maneuvers better. I miss being able to park in the tiniest spaces, but hey now we have room for a stroller, groceries, and a car seat. I would recommend a 2009 rav4 to anyone looking for a small SUV that is lots of fun to drive.

Very versatile. Lots of cargo space. Safety features...side impact air bags. Base model includes a host of features like power everything, decent radio with mp3 support, tinted windows, etc.

More legroom for front seats. Better brakes.

09RAV4
By okudud

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is a genuine fun, easy to drive vehicle. Well made and just only two items were defective but Toyota taking care of problems.

Enjoy powerful yet silky smooth engine with great visibility.

Difficult to learn built in GPS than after-market accessory GPS.