Used 2007 Toyota Prius Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Prius or Civic Hybrid or a Honda Insight ?
By fyler

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you reading this, chances are, you are considering a hybrid and you are torn between a Prius, Civic Hybrid and a Honda Insight. Get the Prius. I used to be a Civic Hybrid and an Insight owner, the Honda IMA hybrid system is the worst and their MPG sucks. Before I get my Prius I owned a 2001 Insight (IMA light showed up at 78K mile), I also tried 2005, 2006 and 2008 Civic Hybrid and the MPG was 38 MPG at the best and again IMA battery issues before 100K miles. The 2008 Civic Hybrid interiors are comfier than the Prius (at least for me) but the space on the Prius is awesome if you haul stuff.The Prius Hybrid system is VERY reliable. The Prius is similar to a Camry or an Accord.

Favorite Features

- Cargo Space. - Hybrid system is so reliable. - The Prius is so roomy. - I average 42MPG at least in Winter. - Resale value. - No timing belt. - Even if the Hybrid system fails, refurbished battery ( below 1400$ ) will keep you running for 7 years at least and this is a reliable car so its worth investing the money on it.

Suggested Improvements

- Center console needs improvement in the knee area ( I used to drive a Lexus so the Prius is not the most comfy car for me). - Leather seats are stiff.

Good, efficient transporation
By benson11

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is good for what it is intended, getting from point A to point B. It is definitely not a sports car or the ultimate driving experience. It is great on gas and gets better mileage during the summer (when it is hotter). I am afraid to bring this up to the snow since it is somewhat under powered (for the higher elevations) and it isn't all wheel drive. Overall, this is great, practical transportation.

Fuel efficient
By subarudavis

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

30k miles on the car now, running strong. I like the car, it has good audio, comfortable seats (not electric though), roomy, and most of all its economical to run. My insurance gives me a break because its a hybrid, I pay a lot less for gas, and it is reliable. These features save me money but I am a little angry at toyota for making it so hard to change headlights, I had to bay a few hundred because the whole front bumper needs to be taken off to get to the HID lights on the touring model. No mechanical issues, one electrical issue with cd player not working, and the GPS is horrible. Not very fun to drive and not powerful. I get about 45mpg overall.

Favorite Features

MPG, engine and drivetrain reliability, economical to drive.

Suggested Improvements

expensive replacement parts and operations, bad handling, bad acceleration.

260,000 miles, no rattles, no creaks, no maintenance
By priusenvy1

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven a lot of great cars but this is by far tops. 260,000 miles, and not one creak, rattle or squeak..and that includes the brakes. I have never even had to change breaks or turned rotars, and my car drives perfectly straight still. Using engine to break and recharge battery saves the brakes!! Power is great, I can pass and go 90 mph if I wanted and engine has no straining. Oh and I have never had a tuneup either. My leather seats only have a side split in drivers seat, leather steering wheel still looks new. Dont be fooled, it's spacious and comfy. I am 6'1" and used to have back aches from driving so much, but this car's smooth ride has changed that too! Has saved me a fortune!

Favorite Features

Mileage, smooth ride, build quality. people say that interior is cheap, but it might not look great, but it lasts. Oh, and get the dark gray paint, if you can. It looks great, but is very susceptible to road chips. There paint ain't that great.

Suggested Improvements

I don't remember the original tires, but they were loud. I then changed to Michelin Primacy, and they are awesome, I get 80,000 and very quiet. Only problem I have had is replaced HID headlamps 3 times. There is a defect of some sort, I have spent $270 each time replaced both. Hid are expensive and changing them in Prius is a major pain, you have to take off bumper. I tried, but failed! Very frustrating. But that is only problem. Did I tell you I never have tuned it up, never changed timing belt or changed transmission fluid. I am so bad, and this car still has not made me pay!! Going in for needed maintenance this week, finally!!

Close but not cigar
By cheapdeep

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really wanted to like the Prius but ended up trading it in about a month after buying it. It drives like a golf cart but I'm ok with that. What really bothered me were some missing features and the ergonomics. This is a bit of an exaggeration but it felt like I had to press 3 buttons to change the radio. While the touch screen is cool and futurisic, nothing beats a button for functionality. Nothing on this car was intuitive. I constantly felt like I was doing a science experiment. And the transition between the electic motor and gas was not smooth.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage. Interior room and cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Ok Toyota, this is your state of the art tech car and you don't do Auto lights and one switch windows? And why would you bury a great feature like an auxilary port in your center console? The seats are pretty uncomfortable considering the car was 30k new. And a hundred dollar Garmin has a better GPS. The cloth armrest and center console are impossible to keep clean. hy would you bury the