2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )
2006 Prius
By Bruce on 11/08/09 14:05 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2006 Prius for 3 years and have clocked 79,000+ miles to date. We also own a volvo xc70. The volvo may be more stylish but the Prius is really fun to drive and it has been totally reliable. We have taken long trips to NYC and Michigan and have done lots of in city driving. We were concerned about the life of the battery but read in a British Columbia Climate Exchange report that Prius taxis in BC have gone more than 200000 miles without a battery replacement.

Why wouldn't you?
By Simon Palmer on 07/09/09 12:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With a large tax credit to offset the "hybrid premium" it was an easy decision to try the Prius. I was looking for a hatchback as these have the versatility that a one-car household needs without the punishing costs of a SUV. There were surprisingly few hatchback choices in 2006 and this one has turned out to be a winner. Fuel economy to date (45,000 miles) 58.9 MPG; reliability 100%; servicing costs average; fun factor 5 for a normal person, 8 for a geek. Interestingly, I got stranded one night by floods and slept in the car until morning; the ICE kicked on and off occasionally to recharge the battery and keep the A/C running. This car is now my personal hurricane evacuation plan!!

Impressed
By Satori on 06/24/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do my part any way I can to help the environment, including converting to a Vegan lifestyle in order to reduce toxic emissions from meat processing. The obvious way I could do more was to get rid of my two Infiniti gas hogs, which I did. Coming from luxury vehicles with every amenity to my Prius was very easy, like a breath of fresh air. The only things anyone could miss would be power seats, lumbar support, a sunroof and more sound deadening. However, all of these add considerable weight, therefore reducing mileage. I feel as if I have lost no features from my luxo-barges, and gained a clearer conscience. I really love that I am not assumed to be pretentious, or image-conscience anymore.

Good car... Honest review
By Gopi on 06/12/09 20:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a pre-owned 2006 prius with 45K miles on it. Love the car and the features. Drives well and getting 48MPG. Still getting used to the nuances of the car and various noises it's making. Few things to note: 1. I am hearing a noise under the steering wheel when braking/accelerating during city driving. Dealer says its normal. However its annoying me. 2. While discussing the noise issue, dealer found out water pump was leaking. I was surprised it is leaking so soon. Luckily it's covered under power train warranty. Will add more as I drive more.

Headlights
By Dee on 05/30/09 05:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have read some of the reviews about the headlights. We experienced a problem with our the battery going dead. We also had problems with both headlights. We were out of warranty but the guys at the dealership told us there had been some bad headlights that were put in some models. They replaced the headlights at no cost to us because there was a known problems and the car is working fine.

Good car, but not perfect
By Ross Purdy on 05/28/09 17:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Currently we have 63,000 miles so we have considerable experience. Reliability has been superb. Things to fix: 1. Original tires are awful. Why not give us a good set? 2. Seats lack lumbar support. I had to find some special pads to drive more than 100 miles. 3. Allow the front seat to move farther back. I'm only 6' tall and I'm crowded into the wheel. 4. Move the shift lever so it doesn't bang my knee. 5. Fix the gas tank so it doesn't belch gas all over my feet. (I've learned to gas up standing well to the side.) 6. Improve the headlights. The lights on my Toyota pickup are infinitely better. 7. Allow more movement of the adjustable steering wheel. That's a start.

I love it
By Bob Hardy on 05/18/09 16:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in a Town Car to purchase the Prius, and haven't missed it at all. With a total of 26650 miles I have had no problems. Averaging slightly over 45 MPG for the entire 26M miles. It has a very functional design with lots of room for 6 footers. I have taken a couple of trips of around 1300 miles each. The car was comfortable during the trip and I had no problem maintaining inter-state speeds even in the mountains while the car was fully loaded. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for good, reliable and economical transportation. This is the first time I have recommended a car, and I wouldn't do it if I wasn't sold on it.

What a Great Car
By Katherine on 04/07/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my car new in 2005. I am six feet tall and the car is very comfortable front and back. I get between 46 and 52 MPG. I watch the consumption level which changed my driving habits. No jackrabbit starts and I drive a with my cruise control a lot. We have mountainous uphills and I've never had trouble passing on them - lots of get up and go! Have had no problems with it. You can stuff a lot of stuff into this car. I have always owned Toyotas and this is my favorite.

Great Car!!
By Kirk on 04/01/09 18:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a wonderful car, we bought it to replace a 06 Chevy truck. We went from 14mpg to 55mpg in the summer!!! We see 50mpg in winter and 55mpg in the summer.

BULB
By jay on 02/27/09 22:16 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It cost $238.00 to have a headlight bulb replaced!!! Do not buy this car. If I knew I was going to pay BMW prices for things light lightbulbs, then I may as well have bought a BMW. It was 5000 miles out of warranty, and not covered under extended warranty - another ripoff. With the economy the way it is and people trying to keep their homes etc., nobody is going to buy a Prius now that I have educated them about the price just to replace a lightbulb. Toyota would not do nothing for me stating that they had already reduced the price from 500.00 dollars!! This is my last Prius. Please do not buy this car, because they always find a way to avoid the warranty coverage.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.