Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (248 reviews )

6 Year / 100K Mile Update
By fido1

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A quick update... The car is still running great after almost 100K miles. Items replaced - tires, wipers, front light bulbs (I drive with them on all the time), water pump (covered by my 100K extended warranty), and a recall for the hybrid coolant system tank, air filters, plugs, and serpentine belt, and full coolant change out (I do everything early). Live in New England - get 47 mpg in spring, summer, fall, and 44.5 mpg in winter driving. Based on last oil change, estimate that I still have 35% of brake pads left. Will be replacing my floormats soon, driver side wore out.

Well built car - no problems - would / will buy another when time comes. Easy to drive. Fantastic gas mileage. The sound system is not too bad.

Increase sound insulation. Make seats more comfortable. Day time running lights - this should be a no brainer given safety studies.

no regrets
By sublimesipping

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

coming up on the 5 year anniversary of this big purchase for us- we thought long and hard about the investment on so many levels. happy to say 5 years later we have no regrets and are very happy with this car. Reliability has been outstanding. Only routine maintenance with the exception of a leaking water pump caught by the dealer doing routine oil change and repaired under warrranty at no cost to us.

57,000 and no brake jobs yet, curous to hear from other owners as to when those brakes will finally go. ride has been great- we have made several trips across PA to Pittsburgh and back as well as some NE sojourns and those long rides have been great as has the regular city commute of my wife

Agree with previous posts the stock tires suck big time, we changed at 28,000 to top of the line goodyears from a prius bloc recommendation and have noticed a significant differnece in MGG almost a 4 mpg drop still would trade this for safety anytime. noticing some minor body integrety issues along the bumper line. Not sure if I want a new prius- have heard that some trade off in weight and size both. Now that the care is paid off and we now have baby the prius hatch comes in such handy useage. A great city car, great commuter car, and great car for a young family. Hopin to drive this thing to200,000.

Traded a 2008 touring for a 2006 base
By mike

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a 2008 touring prius for 1500 miles and averaged 42 mpg. Then I bought a 2006 base prius and I'm averaging over 48 mpg for the first 100 miles. Maybe the weight of the car and the tires makes a difference in the mpg rating. I do think the 2008 has better sound deadening insulation which may make the car heavier. I previously owned a bmw 335, bmw 525, infiniti m35, toyota avalon, subaru legacy, mazda 3, saturn l200, mustang gt, saab 9-3, honda accord, honda passport, nissan truck, and chevy cavalier but the prius is my favorite simply because of the gas mileage, low maintenance cost and quiet ride. Bought the 2006 base with 49k miles certified for $13,500--excellent condition inside/out.

bluetooth, aux port for ipod, fuel economy, quiet engine, interior volume, smart key system

There is too much plastic and cloth in the interior-the arm rests should be plastic and not cloth.

Wish there were some 11s
By Smugly

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car 1/16/06 and finally experienced our first problem - right rear tailight bulb burned out (that's what I thought until I jiggled the bulb and it came back on) 61K miles and still have not had to even change the brake pads! Very roomy and comfortable. Surprize - it will do 106 mph (I personally attest)! OK, it's not a sporty car - but it is fun to drive on the back roads here in NH. We have pushed the MPG reset button only once - at 36K miles - the first 36k our average mpg was 44.7 and since it has averaged a little lower at 43.9. Cold weather and 4 wheel snowtires (a must where there are snowy roads) decrease mpg considerably. Getting ready to buy a 2010 - psyched!

The Smart Key is so smart - it knows what door you're standing next to or if the key is in or out of the car. Great NAV unit. Backup camera. Lots of cargo room. Gobs of headroom. Great sound system. No need to drive like you're towing a trailer full of chandeliers to get 44 mpg.

Shorten the Voice Commands in NAV. Allow Audio screen to stay up if that's what you want - reverts to trip computer after several seconds.

Incredibly functional, not comfortable
By JohnMcdougal

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

To be fair, I should note that this car belongs to my parents. However, on trips back to California, I have driven their Prius thousands of miles. While its functionality, basic competence, and incredible fuel economy are indisputable, we all find the seats relatively uncomfortable. They are small and stiff, with virtually no lumbar support. Even as manual seats, they should have more adjustments. And even though the driving position is fine in terms of front view, I find the steering wheel placement uncomfortable. Beyond that, the ride is too stiff and jittery over rough pavement and too loose and wallow-y on curvy roads. If comfort and performance are high on your list, not the car 4u

great fuel economy, reliability, very functional design with lots of room for hauling for a car of this size.

Too noisy, needs an adaptive system for bad pavement, terrible acceleration for highway on-ramps, two of the speakers on premium JBL sound system have blown, difficult to use GPS system/Bluetooth, feels insecure, especially on broken pavement at highway speeds.