2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (606 reviews )
First Toyota
By ERiddle on 10/25/06 15:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had a premium fueled premium Japanese car that I trade for this baby, but sure am glad I did. This car feels like it is bulletproof. I have driven it from Ft. Worth to Omaha in less than 12 hours with no "personal pain" other than a distended bladder since it goes 500+ miles on $30 of gas @ $3.00 a gallon. I had Katskins installed and seat heaters to finish the deal. Goes fast, looks good, and I'm thrilled.

04,05,06 Pruis
By Road Scholar on 10/06/06 21:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota Pruis is best car in world. I have owned 3,presently have an 05 @06. Would not consider any other car. The car is fast,quiet,non polluting,great mileage,excellent trunk space, rear camera, drive by wire. It is a TOYOTA!

Great Car!
By CB on 09/30/06 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The best full efficient, environmentally friendly car on the market. Driving experience is wonderful, even driving in snow is no problem with this car, except ground clearance. A real good set of winter tires and it goes where my SUV used to.

Disapointing gas milage
By Bill in Mississippi on 09/23/06 12:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The best milage I have gotten with this car is 51mpg. It started averaging about 47. It has been declining steadily. It now gets in the upper 30's to low 40's. The dealer only makes excuses. The car starts the gasoline engine every time it is started even with a warm engine and good battery charge. Sometimes it kicks in the gas with just a touch of the excelerator pedal. The dealer seems to indicate that there is no way to check the computer or upgrade firmware. All concidered, comfort, utility of the hatch back and fold down seats and usually getting milage in the low 40's in town on short trips, I guess I can't complain when compaired to gasoline models with the same features.

2005 Toyota Prius Power
By mb on 09/08/06 11:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving this vehicle, when my wife allows, is fun. It’s quiet! It’s mechanically sound and fuel efficient. It’s part of the oil consumption solution. I like the fuel consumption gauge and center display, which is fully adjustable to the light conditions. The car accelerates well, it’s not a dragster. There is more room in the rear seat for me at 6’2”. We get anywhere from 47 to 51 mpg. The smart entry system is great as well as the standard safety features. We wish Toyota would use better interior trim materials, add an option for a small towing hitch or bike racks. A larger battery capacity with an increased range in speed would make the car more efficient.

My Prius
By Mike on 09/05/06 12:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car that is very well thought out. It seems like Toyota thought about everything. But I am a b it disappointed in the fact that there have been two recalls.

Must Buy!
By tom on 08/25/06 11:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving this vehicle is so much fun. It is my wife's car, but I try to drive whenever I get a chance. I love the real-time fuel consumption gauge. The GPS is perfect for the city. The steering is great. The car accelerates suprisingly fast. There is plenty of room for my large road bike in the back. As a 6' 2" male, I fit comfortably in the front & rear seats. Most of all I like that the car has actually appreciated in value. That is unheard of!

Prius overrated
By tg on 08/16/06 22:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car has been recalled for steering problems and has died twice on the freeway because of another problem. I get anywhere from 38 to 41 mpg. I do take short drives to work on the freeway which reduces fuel efficiency apparently. The car handles poorly and is very top heavy and sways while I'm driving especially if there is any wind at all. It's hard to see out the rear window. C+ rating.

Great vehicle
By Joe D. on 08/13/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love it mechanically. The display monitor can not be read in daylight hours due to slope of windshield. There are reflections of air vents in both side view mirrors also a result of the windshield slope. Have written to Toyota about this and feel confident there will be a design correction in the future. I have not obtained more than 49.6 MPG in city driving. The smart entry system is great as well as the standard safety features.

Prius
By Barbara McFadden on 08/05/06 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had many cars, from Volvo to Acuras, but the Prius is my favorite. I just love the way it handles and it has speed. My only problem is that somone hit me from the back and almost totaled it.