Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (607 reviews )

This car works for a living.
By John L

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Other than standard maintenance, this car has had zero problems. Performance is considerably better than expected in all categories.

Favorite Features

Video function display is handy.

Prius to go
By benjamin franco

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought used w/22,000 miles, satisfied w/performance even on steep inclines contrary to expectations of sceptical friends. Like all the built in maintanance features: oil, brakes, etc.

Favorite Features

looks, fuel economy, smoothness of transmission, battery functions.

Suggested Improvements

softer ride

Prius saved me $8,000 in gas
By Prius

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius was in a national survey during the first 40,000 miles averaging 50.9 mpg. I've had over 12 new vehicles from different brands and this one the best besides saving over $8,000 so far. Toyota got it right. Only repair has been oil changes and running great. My next vehicle will be the next generation Prius at 80-100 mpg. My wife and I though that gas was high ($1.69/gallon) when we bought this car. We really look smart now with gas over $3.25. They are working on the next generation Prius and I can not wait to purchase the next one. Out of my last 12 new vehicles this ranks A +++.

Favorite Features

The room inside is deceiving from the outside. It appears small, but my son-in-law is 6'4" and is very comfy in the back seat. I've hauled 8 foot 2x4 lumber and mldge for my rental properties, so it's great for our needs. The hidden rear compartment stores coats, football gear and others.

Our Best Car Ever
By VegasPrius

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We did a lot of research before deciding on the Prius. Now we never look back. We steadily average 46 MPG. We are not disappointed that it doesn't get the 60 mpg as rated since we know the old rating system is inaccurate, but still, 46 mpg is pretty damn awesome! Great, smooth ride. Very roomy interior and still room for cargo. We got package 6 with the nav system which is great. Driving the Prius has become a game to get best mileage and has now taught me how to get better mileage in my Expedition. I'm now just waiting to replace the Expedition with a big SUV hybrid such as Yukon or Escalade. We plan on getting the plug in Prius in 2009.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Smooth ride. Nav system. Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better quality interior parts such as dash panels, etc. More durable and stylish.

No complaints
By Daisy

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am very impressed with the Prius. It is sooo quiet and runs so smoothly. The gas mileage is exactly what I expected. I average between 50 & 55 MPG. Those individual who claim that it gets less may have other contributing factors, such as hills, more freeway driving or a "heavy foot". My husband gets less MPG but that is because he drives it harder than I do. The seats are very comfortable and it is suprisingly spacious. The GPS is outdated right now, but that it because GPS units have to be manually updated. The dealerships have a CD that can update the car.