Used 2004 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (435 reviews )

Prius w/over 48,000 miles
By ronnie873

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a pre-owned Prius. It now has over 48,000 miles. My primary complaint is the exterior door material. If you barely hit the door, it leaves a mark or a ding (my car is white). Also, the interior is extremely difficult to keep clean. The armrests are very worn. The fabric seems cheap. Other than that, the car is great. I always average over 50 MPG. I routinely drive the car on the highway at speeds greater than 70 MPH and I still get great gas mileage. I traded in my Jeep (14 MPG) for the Prius and I'm so glad I did. The car is quiet, smooth and a joy to drive.

Other than the MPG, my favorite feature is the touch screen. I like the fact that it constantly reminds me of my MPG. It's like a game to me. My goal is to get a consistent MPG of 60. I'm almost there. Secondly, I like the smart key. No searching through my purse for the keys! It's great!

More durable interior fabric. Dent resistant doors like the Saturn vehicles. I believe they have the dent resistant materials for the door panels. Tint the rear windows as standard.

Love my 2004 Pirus
By Bcordon

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2004 Prius is the best car I have ever owned. I have save so much money on gas it's ridiculous. The car handles pretty good untill you lose a bit of traction. However I wouldn't have any other car.

I love the gas mileage and the nav.

Allow nav use while driving, while enclosing a warning about dangers of use and driving. Passengers can save you a lot of time while driving.

Perfect Car
By Wayne Brown

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have over 148,000 miles now and haven't had a single problem with the car except the MFD which was covered under warranty. The front brakes pads look extremely healthy still although the back brake shoes will likely need replacement within the next 30,000 miles. Easily, very easily, the best car I have ever owned; I have never been happier with any car and I have had more than 20 in my 40 years of driving!

I love the navigation, the fuel efficiency, the quiet ride, the bluetooth phone and the incredible quality which Toyota has put into this automobile.

The car is already a dream but I think a factory PHEV version with say even 10 miles of pure EV capability would be like having access to a piece of heaven.

Love It
By jor

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Can't understand people complaining about mileage, I've NEVER gotten under 48 mpg and average 52-60! Roomy, even rear seat is comfortable. It's not as comfortable as my Lexus, but then there's a big difference in $$$. No complaints at all about handling: solid, takes hills well, very peppy, have to watch speed on interstate or I'll be doing 80 without realizing it. I laugh all the way to the gas pump these days!

Overall modern appearance. Touch screen. Roomy interior great for shopping.

Automatic seats.

Awesome
By HECTOR GARCES

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I really love our 2004 Prius. Toyota Prius is the best car I have ever owned, air conditioning runs on the battery which in turn is charged by driving and braking. Mileage has been consistent at 50 mpg. Plenty of room and storage. Excellent quality. Excellent handling. The quality of these cars is impressive by itself, but the clean emissions make it outstanding. Great car! Highly recommended. Nothing bad to say. Good performance, lots of torque going up hills

Great MPG... 52 average. Florida 95 degrees and my air conditioning runs on the battery in the traffic light. Amazing! Result: 0 gas emissions. Clean emissions!