2004 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (434 reviews )
The best!
By rjkelly34 on 06/08/06 08:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've driven all types of vehicles and none can compare to my prius! Not only does it make me feel good that i am doing my thing for the enviornment, the car is fun to drive! Really nice pick up, smooth, quiet ride and toyota reliability! the optional DVD navigation is the best navigation on the market. Easy to use and quite direct! I am averaging 50+ mpg with over 25k. With today's gas prices (3 dollars plus) I can still fill up for under 30 dollars and get close to 400 miles a tank (sometimes more)!! Do yourself a favor, get yourself a prius!! You'll be glad that you did.

2004 Prius
By strata on 05/10/06 16:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

My 2004 Prius was bought in Oct 03 because of the claim of outstanding mileage, the federal tax incentive and I was driving a large crewcab pickup. Mileage range from the high 30's in the coldest (below -0 F.) months to the low 50s once the weather gets warmer in the spring. It gets the best mileage in city driving about 40 mph. It is fairly comfortable in day to day commuting. The hatchback feature is very useful with the extra room with the rear seats folded down. The biggest gripes are the light beige cloth upholstery that show dirt easy and the couple of times that it left me stranded with computer glitches once at dealer when they were doing a recall and once 300 miles away.

2004 Prius
By Hodges on 05/03/06 16:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

We traded in a 2001 Prius for the 2004 on the premise of better mileage. Both vehicles average 40-42 around town and 50-52 on long freeway drives. Both vehicles have had computer problems which did not affect the operation of the vehicle but merely an annoyance. The Hatchback design of the 2004 is a great improvement but the split rear window creates a rear vision problem. Having an battery upgrade to increase fuel mileage sounds promising, if the conversion price is reasonable.

Overhyped mileage
By corkoffice on 04/28/06 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

60 MPG City??? NEVER. In real life I get 38-42 City and 45-50 Highway. It's time to get honest about Prius mileage. Why set up consumers to be disappointed by not getting a fictional 60 mpg?

Awesome
By sparkyhh on 04/28/06 12:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I absolutely love my prius. I will never buy anything but a hybrid again. I cannot even think of anything that I do not like about my car. A sunroof would be nice but then you might lose the aerodynamics. And who wants to give up the miles per gallon you get for a sunroof. Not me. Everyone that ridess with me loves it too. I have the navigation system and it is great when I travel. This is a great car.

Love This Car
By Arizona341 on 04/28/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

It is our second Prius. We will only have hybid cars. The car is everything anyone needs in a car. Quiet, reliable, and good for the health of the nation.

Love My Prius
By Mike on 04/05/06 11:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Great Performance, fun to drive & reliable. Drove from Florida to Chicago twice, back through the mountains of Tennessee, and throughout Florida with my wife & dog. Enjoy the ride as much or more than with my old Lexus, or various Mercedes.

Best car ever
By frenchofva on 03/26/06 05:03 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Outstanding vehicle, my favorite car that I have ever owned. We now own two Prius cars and plan to by the Camry Hybrid. Lifetime mileage 49.9 MPG. Have kept detailed records for life of car. Summer mileage 50 - 55, and winter mileage 43 - 48. Drove from DC to Montreal on one tank!

Long term ownership.
By Jeffand on 02/20/06 18:22 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

Driving habbits: Mostly country driving, 45-55 MPH. Location: Wisconsin. Summer: 49-53 MPG Winter: 40-45 MPG Cold weather, and short trips do reduce milage. Driving at speeds greater than 65 mph also will reduce milage. Acceleration is ok. Accelrates faster than some mini vans, and SUV's. 0 to 60 in 10 seconds.

Priusaurus
By Priusaurus on 02/10/06 13:07 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a Ford Explorer for my Prius. This was one of the most intelligent, consumer moves I've ever made in my 49 years. I will buy another one as soon as I pay this one off. I live on a 1/2 mile, rugged, dirt road in Northern California and with a Prius, I realized, I no longer need 4-wheel drive or the high-rise SUV profile. The Prius handles the dirt and snow just fine. We have traveled for four hours with five people in the Prius and we all agreed, comfort was spectacular! The navigation system is an added bonus. I will never buy another car without it. We average 43 mpg around town, but have gotten up to 56 mpg on long trips to Mt. Shast and Lake Tahoe. Excellent car!