Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 339 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Dependable car - as it should be
By JSW

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this after owning a 1996 Dodge Stratus. Have not regretted the decision. Fantastic commute car with EXCELLENT gas mileage. Now at almost 88K miles, its showing the wear and tear, but its a keeper. Reliable and very dependable vehicle. It has never let me down on my commute to Denver - even in winter snow storms. As for other reviewers that have reported mechanical problems...stuff like this happens, live with it.

Gas mileage. Dependability.

Would like to see a hybrid model down the line, but it would have to beat 40MPG that I get with the current model. Needs more power ;-)

Highly Recommend
By Kevin

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car at the end of August of 2005 and wasn't too sure what the XRS model was. After 4 years of owning it, I think its a pretty good daily driver. It's fun to drive and has enough power to keep up with flow of traffic. The 6 speed manual is what makes it different from the other models and the 2zz-ge motor revs up to 8200 rpm which makes a really fun to drive when the lift kicks in.

Lift at the high end and pretty good gas mileage.

Lower the lift to a more reasonable RPM. 6800 is way too high.

Boring, generic, poorly crafted
By rfk

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 05 and about 5,000 mile ago the rattling around the driver and passenger windows and door and dash (front and rear) has become unbearable. It's gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into a wall. My daily drive has become a test of my patience and hearing (from having to blast my stereo).

fuel economy

This car is so completely boring and poorly crafted they should start over, only this time care a bit more what they place their logo on.

Great Reliable Car!
By The Doll

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After car shopping in 2005, the Toyota Corolla seemed to be the best economical and fuel efficient car that I saw. Since I bought it, the car has not given me any problems. However, I do make sure it gets its regular maintenance. I truly recommend a Toyota Corolla for reliability.

Fuel efficient and rides smooth.

The headlights should be able to able to manually turn off. You can't turn them off on your own. The cost of power windows were $1k more so it could be less expensive.

A fun drive, but has its flaws
By JeepGuy

2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing's first: why has nobody mentioned that the factory hubcaps have a tendency to fly off at the slightest bump/sharp turn (5-spoke)? My girlfriend drives this car and loves it, but I know she is not the only one to have problems with wheel covers/hubcaps, especially since it so difficult to find this particular part online. Other than the aforementioned problem (and a strange whistling noise in the upper part of the windshield-loose seal?), this car is fairly stylish and fun to drive. It definitely gets better gas mileage than my old trusty Jeep, but I still prefer a car a bit higher off the ground.

Factory stereo, big trunk, gas mileage, overall design.

Ill-fitted hubcaps, cheap window seals, annoying seat belt alarm.