Used 2010 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Some things that helped
By eromo

2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The annoying ding ding seat belt noise, can & was 90% silenced by legit dealer reprogram. Yeah! Also pop out back door recessed handles and insert about 4 lbs of those soft and quiet ankle weights. Door still opens ok yet closes so much easier. Yeah again. Vehicle travels great. 6 cyl enough power 95% of time. One touch seat reset would be nice. Trailer light hook up unbelievably out of position. Buy 18 in extension at wmt. Pulls my 1500 lb boat silky smooth

Favorite Features

travels great and carries a lot

Suggested Improvements

trailer light hook up needs moving, one touch seat resets would be nice

4 cylinder makes the grade
By CHAD

2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2010 4 cyl. 4runner in March. I had a 2005 Toyota Highlander and planned to purchase another one but came across this model on the dealers lot. I bought it because it delivers good gas mileage, has 8 air-bags, neat appointments in interior. Has better outward visibility than the hl, sits 1" higher, and has enough power in the 4 cly. For my use. I am towing a 2000 lb. Pop-top camper and have no interest in going off road. The storage space is adequate, seats fold down flat, dashboard temp., compass, mileage ratings, etc. Are an added plus. After just 1300 miles I am ave. 20.5 mpg. It has sonar for backing up, fog lights, etc. A very good BASIC vehicle for $28,500.

Favorite Features

Bright dashboard, gauges, sonar, seats, high visibility, stereo/XM radio (extra $) steering very good. No problems. Car made in Japan. I have had good success in Toyota made in Japan.

Suggested Improvements

Have running boards available for base model.

I HATE MY 2010 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
By mosternaz

2010 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1997 Toyota 4runner for 13 years with only one major repair in $160,000 miles. It never once stranded me. Someone hit me and totaled it. I bought a new 2010 Toyota 4runner. In the last six months it has stranded me twice and I have had 4 major repairs. The throttle body was first, then the brake switch. Next was the blue tooth system and last night the entire windshield cracked in half (stress fracture, not a rock). I just can't trust this car. It is a lemon and Toyota doesn't care. It is also very hard to see out of the back windows. The body is wider than it needs to be. My mileage is 20 mpg, which is fine. Comfort is good for sitting on the side of the road waiting.

New 4runners, NOT as good as the last, v6 weak..
By scratchgolfer2

2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the last few 4runners now, the Limited 1997, then the amazing 2007 V8 Limited. I love the cars, performance and Toyota quality. I really didnt want to trade in my 2007 but I hit 100K so figured I would check them out, not too crazy about the new style but it is okay and thought the new higher HP V6 might be okay at 270HP, however it is NOT, it is WAY underpowered for this size vehicle. It also doesn't have the same solid feel that my previous 4runners always had that other's never had. Makes me wonder if they really changed some things here....engine just doesnt feel right.....way to slow, with the Tundra 5.7 v8 as an option this might be a great truck

Favorite Features

navigation, leather, new improved electric steering is maybe the only improvement over the last model

Suggested Improvements

Engine, Engine, Engine....way underpowered, feels like they put a corolla 4 banger in a Sequia, well i am exaggerating a little but for 44k new limited, not really And if they tweeked the v6 to get that extra HP this year it may lead to more problems down the road, my suggestion stick with the 2003-2009 generation, that V6 is great in that truck, the V8 is even better.....

a turtle with an ipod
By jefre

2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had six 4 runners over a 25 year period. so obviously have been happy with them, PREVIOUSLY. have had the '10 limited for five months now and so disapointed with it, i sold it new years weekend. gas mileage 17mpg, pickup/acceleration is terrible. so underpowered. dont believe the HP is adequate for the mass of the vehicle. need to downshift constantly in order to get up the slightest incline. apprehensive to enter a highway. wouldnt try passing a scooter. if your looking to only drive it to the local green market then ok. otherwise look at anything else.

Favorite Features

sound system is very good. probably to act as a cover for the inadequate accelerating power.

Suggested Improvements

larger engine or lighten the mass of the vehicle.