Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great car
By Ro on 08/28/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for over 2 years and have no regrets with my decision. Never owned a Subaru before, but I think I will from now on. Great in the snow, this car literally saved me from an accident several times. Had a Honda for 10 years, feel much safer in this car. Still love the interior, leather, heated seats, interior lighting. Back seat has adequate room. One review commented on the engine ping for several seconds when you first turn off. I addressed that with the service dept when first got the car, it is normal due to cooling down/environmental controls on this car.

Perfect for my needs
By crowing on 07/24/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Let's get the caveats out of the way: smaller back seats, lower MPG due to AWD, maintenance can be expensive, and a somewhat stiff ride. Due to these things, this car may not be right for everyone. HOWEVER, I do give this car high ratings for very well executed design and performance. I love the style of the interior and found the seats and steering to be spot on. AWD is a great thing to have with Michigan's erratic weather and this is one of the more economic choices. The Legacy is a bit heavier for the AWD, which may be why some people feel it's a bit sluggish, but it also improves grip and cornering. So you know, the 2010 model does seem to have fixed a number of these quirks.

Won Me Over a Passat
By Adam on 05/01/10 19:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I few months back, I traded in my 2002 GMC Envoy with 140,000 Miles for a 2008 Legacy with 16,500 Miles. I was originally going to purchase a Passat, but I wanted something that was more youthful. Overall, I do not regret my purchase at all in any way. It may be a little slow off the line, but it can haul. I do long highway stretches, and average around 80mph, but still get 25 mpg.

2008 Legacy 70000 miles later
By Ed on 01/12/10 17:07 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third subaru. I had two imprezas before this one and I got to say I am pretty happy with the car. I live in Florida and I rarely ever see anyone else with the car. Never had a problem with it, just changed the oil and brakes, thats it.

Great all weather vehicle
By afwx33 on 12/23/09 22:22 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 500 miles a week between Wyoming and Colorado and needed something that got good gas mileage and could handle the winter weather. On the highway I average 29-30 mpg which is a little above what the sticker suggests. The car is great in the snow and can make it through almost anything. The base motor is a little weak compared to the turbo motor but I bought this car for efficiency. I have 35,000 miles on the car and it has only been to the dealer for oil changes. Very reliable!

"Sub" impressive
By Steve on 12/17/09 11:34 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new. First disappointment was how big the combination key/remote is. Won't fit in my pocket. Then I found out the TPMS must be programmed by the $ dealer each time I put my snow tire rims on. I traded in the car after 18 months and 17,000 miles because the suspension is so stiff I could not take it any longer. Wind noise is awful. The engine was very rough and loud while the car was not moving. Trim on the driver door started falling off. 4 screws fell off the armrest and it fell apart. Hardly any heat would reach my feet. Annoying loud beeping sound when the trunk was opened. Way too small of a car for a six feet tall person. Seats stained from rainwater. Oh I could go on and on.

Great Car!
By Rambo on 10/06/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE this car. No regrets on my purchase. Car feels and looks much more expensive then it is. Gotten into some sticky driving situations and it handled awesome. Can hardly wait for the snow.

The best kept secret, Suburu!
By Theodore on 09/02/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota and Honda is the only thing my wife had ever driven. But unlike myself she is utterly terrified of driving in the snow. She refused the idea of an SUV and neither Honda or Toyota offers an AWD alternative. I suggested a Suburu Legacy and she reluctantly test drove the Legacy 2.5I SE. She was hooked within the first 5 miles although we drove it another 50 before returning to the dealership. But the story doesn't end there. The snow would be the real test, after all, the AWD was the main reason for the purchase. Well, after 11 trips in mild to heavy snow she was convinced this was the best purchase she ever made in her life. Yup, in her life. Wow... For that she gives it a perfect ten!

Very happy...
By Mike on 08/30/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased two years ago, drive ~15,000 miles a year. Do mostly highway driving and average 26mpg. Zero maintenance issues so far. Very happy with the purchase, has certainly proven herself sure footed in all weather conditions. In fact I bought a 2009 Legacy for my wife a year later.

Great Price and Value, Love it
By Nate on 08/11/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This has been a great car for the past year. Very clean look and feels great on the road.