Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

buying a preowned Legacy GT
By darrrel

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i was in the market for a fun to drive sedan. i poured over online reviews, Consumer Reports and generally obsessed over this for about a year. I test drove new BMW 325, Civic Si, Legacy GT, Saab 93, Infinity G, Mazda Speed3, Mitsu Lancer etc...just about everything. At the local Subie dealership they had a preowned 2008 GT. It was love at first drive. So i did a bunch of research and bought it --$20K with 30K miles. I thought it was a great deal...0 buyers remorse. Every time I drive this car I absolutely looooove it...it handles great...is super fast in S# mode, and a dream in the rain. i love the 3 engine modes -- I, S and S#. Subaru certified it - got 100k bumper to bumper for $800.

Favorite Features

3 driving modes I, S and S#

Suggested Improvements

hate the fake wood trim inside ...ugh. better stereo , although it's fine

no problems yet
By mcc7

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in July 2008 and currently have 31K miles on it without any problems. The suspension is a great. It is nimble enough to handle well but not jarring on bumps. The front seats are very comfortable, even after a few hours in the car. The back seat is tight but still respectable. My only complaint is the radio is horrible but it can easily be replaced with an aftermarket one. With the rear seats folded down a lot can be transported, even long skis. Overall, it is a reliable and affordable car. This is my first Subaru and I would buy it again.

Subie convert!!
By sarduchi22

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWESOME car!! Very well appointed and classy looking interior. Great quality and look to the interior materials and lighting. Ride quality is super smooth yet firm enough for cornering. Feels firm over uneven road surfaces but doesnt break your back. Seats are firm and comfy even on long hauls. The 2.5i is a little sluggish off the line but over 30mph has plenty of power spooled up for passing. Fun factor is moderate only lack of power hurting this aspect of the sedan. Back seat is a little tight not reccomended for people over six foot. Also passenger side footwell is a touch shallow and the seat needs to be slid back to for a comfortable leg position. Over all look is handsome!

Favorite Features

Love the quality and softness of the leather. Sound system bumps and is crystal clear. Red interior lighting is great looking and easy to read day or night. Body lines are clean but sporting. Love the idea that im not driving a camry, accord, or impala. AWD kicks in snow, ice,and rain, so well in fact i didnt bother w/ my snow tires this year. The legacy has a head turning factor as many people notice its good looks but are not sure what the make and model are at first glance. I feel as though im driving a car that costs 1000's more than what i paid.

Suggested Improvements

2.5i could used a little more power off the start. Cabin could benifit from a little more sound dampening. AWD does drink a little more fuel but its worth it

Well researched decision
By derekisaac

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I rated the performance a 3 simply because their are better performing choices out there in a sedan. I wanted an AWD vehicle, but I also was looking to upgrade in mpg from my previous f150 4x4. My research had lead to me to the Subaru Legacy. I had never driven one or even sat inside one. This car gives the best bang for your buck if you purchase slightly used. I got a limited model 29k miles for 16995. Everyone that gets inside the car can't believe the features I got for the price tag. I've done a lot of research and nothing else compares. I wish the mpg was a bit better but I can live with all the features I get instead. The fun-to-drive factor is great despite the small engine.

Favorite Features

Subaru's symmetrical AWD, safety features, mpg in an AWD (I'm averaging 23-24 in mixed 60/40 driving) Heated Leather seats Heated mirrors and windshield wipers moonroof sport shift auto Dual climate control Trip computer/avg mpg/real time mpg/tpms Aux input for IPOD 2 12v charging ports I challenge anyone to find these features on any vehicle for less money. The car drives like it's on rails. The ride is stiff but for those that don't like a stiff ride, they're probably looking at other cars. Again, I challenge anyone to find these features on a car with warranty and a cheaper price tag.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had more mpg but who doesn't? I also wish I had more hp but the price tag goes up on the GT and 6 cyl model. The armrest needs redesigned, it's not quite long enough. I'm very happy with the purchase. I still browse car reviews on here and I have yet to find anything that changes my mind. I had it narrowed down to this car and the infinity G35 awd, but you'll pay much more the infinity and won't get all these features either.

Great Value
By Skewed

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0 R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Looked for a slightly-used Legacy GT, but they're quite rare too, so I researched the 3.0R and bought an almost-new one. Know from personal experience that the 3.0 H6 engine can go 130k miles with no more than routine maintenance. Having owned a 2002 WRX as well as a few Saabs, I can say that the 3.0R feels more like a Saab than the WRX. The WRX felt nimble and light, while the Saabs felt more solid and locked-in while cornering. For the mature driver, there's more sport than luxury but young hotshots will find its reflexes a bit slow. Great for someone who likes both Saabs and Subarus. Not much plush but a lot of function. Learning to use all the controls is worthwhile.

Favorite Features

Value. Multi-mode driveline controls (sI Drive, paddle-shifters, "tiptronic" style shifting.) Ergonomics (but I'm 5'6", 130lb). Bilstein sport suspension: firm but not harsh. Projected durability (engine goes on and on). "What is it?" effect. Interior finish. Design, both aesthetic & functional.

Suggested Improvements

Interior space expansion; already done for 2010, but why the weird wheel arches? Gas struts instead of prop rod for hood. Better hinges and finish for trunk. Tie-down fixtures in trunk. More cubbyholes on dash. Protective options (e.g. rubber covers) for rocker panels and rear bumper.