2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2008 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

Subie convert!!
By sarduchi22

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWESOME car!! Very well appointed and classy looking interior. Great quality and look to the interior materials and lighting. Ride quality is super smooth yet firm enough for cornering. Feels firm over uneven road surfaces but doesnt break your back. Seats are firm and comfy even on long hauls. The 2.5i is a little sluggish off the line but over 30mph has plenty of power spooled up for passing. Fun factor is moderate only lack of power hurting this aspect of the sedan. Back seat is a little tight not reccomended for people over six foot. Also passenger side footwell is a touch shallow and the seat needs to be slid back to for a comfortable leg position. Over all look is handsome!

Favorite Features

Love the quality and softness of the leather. Sound system bumps and is crystal clear. Red interior lighting is great looking and easy to read day or night. Body lines are clean but sporting. Love the idea that im not driving a camry, accord, or impala. AWD kicks in snow, ice,and rain, so well in fact i didnt bother w/ my snow tires this year. The legacy has a head turning factor as many people notice its good looks but are not sure what the make and model are at first glance. I feel as though im driving a car that costs 1000's more than what i paid.

Suggested Improvements

2.5i could used a little more power off the start. Cabin could benifit from a little more sound dampening. AWD does drink a little more fuel but its worth it

Great car
By Ro

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for over 2 years and have no regrets with my decision. Never owned a Subaru before, but I think I will from now on. Great in the snow, this car literally saved me from an accident several times. Had a Honda for 10 years, feel much safer in this car. Still love the interior, leather, heated seats, interior lighting. Back seat has adequate room. One review commented on the engine ping for several seconds when you first turn off. I addressed that with the service dept when first got the car, it is normal due to cooling down/environmental controls on this car.

Favorite Features

Remote start, cabin control lighting, safety features, heated leather seats, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

None other than Subaru should give a longer warranty, would like to see 5 yrs, 50k like most of the industry has.

I'm dating up!
By karl williams

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, I almost feel guilty for driving this car. I luckily found it used because you don't see a "used" Subaru very long on the lot (especially as nice as this one) and I've been looking. I feel bad because it is soooo good. I have two friends who drive new BMW's and I can easily keep up with the Jones'. This car does everything well, including looking the part of a luxury sport sedan. Very fun to drive, handles well, and fuel economy is great for AWD. Speaking of AWD...it is wonderful in the rain..can't wait for snow. I am dating up because this car has hot looks and delivers performance even for a 4 cyl. When I tell people what I paid...they are filled with jealousy. Don't miss out!

Favorite Features

Interior fit and finish! Exterior sporty look...then there is the AWD factor.

Suggested Improvements

Could dampen the road noise a bit. Would be cool for "home link" type technology for garage door opening. A bit more storage features in the cabin.

Great Car
By John

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for 6 months and it is great, I am very impressed. I've owned foreign and domestic cars and this is the best by far. I averaged 25.8 MPG mixed city and highway over 7000 miles. The controls are well thought out and the car is very comfortable. Test drive it and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort is great. I really enjoy driving it. Could use stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is pretty good but could be better. For an AWD car mileage is good but with gas prices on the rise I would like to see more.

Legacy -- all the way !
By legacy driver

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Once I drove the Legacy, I completely fell in love with it. It takes away from all other cars, including Hondas, Mazdas, and Toyotas. This car is in its own class, you really can't compare it to any others (many people think the car looks way more expensive then it actually is). I get great gas mileage, better then they say! I average 28-29 MPG with 75% highway and 25% city. I can't go anywhere with out people asking me what kind of car I drive. The Legacy is so comfortable, and the handling is great! I would recommend this car to anyone. Before buying any other car, you must test drive the Subaru Legacy. I swear, you won't regret it!

Favorite Features

Satin white pearl, gas mileage, stylish exterior, handling, fuel calculation display (very accurate on your MPG), heated windshield, daytime running lights, standard sunroof, Yokohama tires, and AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Not many, radio controls on the steering wheel, upgrade sound system (which they are doing on the 2009), auto door locks when the car is in motion, and take out the fourth brake light (in the back rear window) if you have a spoiler.

Best value for the money
By john s

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. Tried them all. Audi4, Volvo60, Saab93. This car has the best return for dollars spent. The ride is better then most. It handles great, and I just got 31 mpg on highway speed max at 65 mph to 60 mph for about 120 miles highway only.

Favorite Features

Style, ride, gas miles, and handling

Suggested Improvements

None

European sport sedan killer
By Brian Sok

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive 60 miles/day near DC and looked for a car that was safe, reliable, fuel efficient, winter friendly, and unique. I looked at Audi A4, Audi A3, Saab 9-3, Volvo S40 and the Subaru Legacy. They were all comparable cars, but I bought the Subaru 2.5i Limited with spoiler, moonroof visor, mudguards, subwoofer. The Subaru is by far the best deal... no comparison!

Favorite Features

The SportShift automatic makes the 2.5i feel much quicker. Love the 4-stage heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated wipers (came in handy during recent ice storm). The subwoofer add-on makes the stereo much better. The 2008 style changes look great & love the spoiler (looks great from rear view)!

Suggested Improvements

The stereo is still somewhat lackluster even with subwoofer addition... stereo upgrade option is a must in the future. Also, fix the armrest... the add-on extension is not good enough. Finally, stability control should have been standard on all 2008 models, not an option.

A good bang for your buck
By Andy

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm driving 120 miles/day and looked for a solid ride that could get me past 150k miles w/o costing me too much. I wanted all wheel drive and I didn't want to defer to the Hondas and Toyotas mainly because they bore me and you see them everywhere. I was contemplating spending some bigger bucks for the Audi A4 or the Infiniti G35x. Obviously those cars are much quicker, but when I found out that the Legacy had comparable interior, as comfortable a ride and was much cheaper, I decided to go with the Subaru. When compared to the others that were mentioned, I sacrificed speed for cheaper gas, parts, insurance, monthly payments and increased mpg.

Favorite Features

General interior, heated aeats, triptonic shifting.

Suggested Improvements

Change the radio panels/controls to allow for non-stock radios to be installed. Redo the remote unlocking. It takes too many pushes to open all the doors. Allow the moonroof to close with one push of the button (it stops half way and you have to push the button again).

Great commuter car
By Elf72

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru - I traded in my Forester when I moved 90 minutes from work as I wanted more creature comforts for the long commute. This car does not disappoint. Smooth ride, great gas mileage, and the Limited's upgraded interior makes the trip comfortable as well. Plus, when winter hits, if the AWD works as well as it did in the Forester, I'm all set.

Favorite Features

Leather seats and wood trim, exterior color (deep bronze metallic), gas mileage, power seat, moon roof, the list goes on.

Suggested Improvements

I'm still getting used to the auto climate control - I realize it's summer but it freezes me out - I switch to manual most of the time. Quite a bit more narrow up front than my Forester, but my 6'1" husband still finds it comfortable. Would like overhead storage for sunglasses (no biggie).

Waiting for bad weather
By Al Schnering

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car so far seems very solid, takes the curves very nice. We are looking for mileage and safe driving in bad weather.

Favorite Features

Being able to see compass and outside temp. Saving on gas compared to the pickup truck we had.

Suggested Improvements

When the car starts to move I would like the door locks to lock.