Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Using Oil !
By vablue1

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Disappointed with purchase of new Subaru 2014 Forester. I have had this car only 1 year, purchasing from local dealer. The vehicle is using oil between oil changes as other consumers note. The last occurrence was returning from out of town in the rain after midnight - light comes on - we are miles from anything open to purchase a quart of oil. Finally get to a 24/7 station, check oil - it is almost below oil stick!!!! This is 2,000 miles before the vehicle is due for another oil change!!!!!!!! Quite annoyed. Will see what Subaru does to correct this problem. So sorry I did not keep my Honda Odyssey Van, mileage 230,000, which never had oil burning issues, even with high mileage.

Reliable in snow and ice. Fuel efficient (avg 26 mpg). Love large moon roof.

Fix oil consumption problem. Irritating rattle on dashboard. Left speaker crackles. Hesitation in acceleration on occasion.

Love the 4X4 drive, not the rest
By Rosalie Brunel

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the seller's repeated sale's line was "This car loves winter, you will really feel the difference in winter" and I do... the driving is awesome... except: i now cannot refuel because the latch to open the tank is frozen in ice! I now had to drive the car to an indoor garage and pray that tonight it will work. Not so impressive for a car that "loves" winter. The windshield also cracked about a month after I got it... I never had a windshield crack and have always driven in the same conditions. Again, unimpressed. Little gadgets also started to give way inside the car. Already I've been to the garage for oil leakage (the car had 2,000kms then)... My car is still under 6,000 kms!!

Soft brakes
By Thomas Mikolajewski

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2014 Subaru Forester in March and found some features below standard. The rubber coated dash is hard to clean and seems to attach lint. The rear hatch does not open when the open button is pressed but has a delay so at first the open button was pressed repeatedly causing some frustration unless you wait until hatch starts to move. The brakes feel soft and the pedal slowly moves when stopped at a light. Need to pump brakes to get pedal up and this causes car to move which is scary when sitting in traffic. Dealer says all Subaru brakes operate this way but this is my first Subaru and I do not remember this problem on previous American or Japanese cars I owned.

I like the sunroof.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
By groksurf

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Lots to like about this vehicle if you do 50-50 street/highway driving and off-road mountain and desert roads of moderate difficulty from time-to-time. I wish it came with all-terrain tires rather than the stock Bridgestones. There are only 2, maybe 3 tires that will fit this vehicle's 18 inch rims with oversized front disk brakes. I've done the research and I think the Yokahama Geolander A-T-S is still the only all-terrain contender that will fit without troubles with the brakes or sidewalls. Gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg with about 70% highway and 30% streets, conservative accelerator and brakes.

Sound system in the Premium leaves plenty to be desired (I understand it's upgraded in the Touring model) and the speakers are on the tinny side, so I had to upgrade the speakers to the best that would fit in the door. The USB port position in the front center console is hard to reach. Almost impossible to insert a stick without stopping the car and climbing in sideways to get your arm and fingers at the right angle. Rear-view camera is small, awkwardly positioned far forward in the dashboard and hard to see in sunlight, and its information display is confusing. A-C doesn't cool well when outside temp reaches 90 or above (and that's with the fan turned up to 4 out of 4 & recirculating air.

On hot days we can't get the interior below 87. Meanwhile in normal outside temps in the mid 70-s to low 80s the fan doesn't have have velocity to ventilate properly unless turned up to 3 min. The settings 1 & 2 are virtually useless for all purposes. Front seats could use more side bolstering...we slide around too much when cornering or just for a real comfortable fit.I'm 5'11 and could use another inch of legroom on the left, and my right knee always hits the keychain no matter where I sit. You might guess with these annoyances I'd be unhappy with the car but despite this I am pleased because the quiet ride, low-rpm high-torque response & secure handling. Great all-around view for traffic.

Safety, quality, great AWD and fun to drive
By k_in_austin

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased certified used 2014 Limited 6 months ago. MPG has solidly averaged 26mpg and on road trips I get 30-33mpg if I stay under 70.
Prior Car: 2004 Volvo XC 70
The Subaru had everything that is important to me - safety, visibility, quality, AWD, quiet ride, passenger space and few extras I wanted--awesome sunroof, heated seats, fog lights. I am impressed with the handling.
Problems with competitors included awful cabin noise (RAV-4, CR-V, Equinox), cheap components (Compass, Equinox, CX-5), higher price for same features/quality (Escape, Volvo), terrible visibility (Venza), extra charge for AWD or 4WD that isn't as refined as Subaru, poor mpg (Volvo). Forester had it all.

Bottom line for me was dedicated AWD that has the kinks worked out, safety upgrades for 2014 model (structural ones), super visibility (what is the deal with huge blind spots from pillars?) and fairly quiet ride (hate road noise). Since purchase I also like the handling for a car this tall (takes the curves almost as well as our little sporty sedan), sensible locations for gadgets, plugs and cup holders, amazing seat heaters that get almost too warm, love the huge sunroof. Decent room for three backseat passengers, good legroom. Seats fold down very easily. Good mpg for car size, even with passengers and luggage on road trips, getting in low 30's.

Seats kind of hard, mediocre quality leather (I got a good deal on this Ltd, but don't upgrade to the leather by choice), gas pedal too far to the right and the bulkhead curves towards the driver's leg so it makes my foot have to sit at an angle which is annoying but I've gotten used to it. My Ltd also came with the auto trunk lift which I can take or leave. It is kind of annoying when you put a bike rack on, I can't just lift it an inch to pop the hooks underneath. Bluetooth interface is reliable and has a uninspired voice activation but it works, this could be more modern.