5,000 Mile Update
By fandango on
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
Now that I've had my Forester long enough to be well acquainted, I thought I would leave an update. So far I'm impressed with the overall performance, ride, quality and features. I'm averaging just over 30mpg in 80/20 highway driving and I am quite impressed by the performance of the CVT transmission -- and I was always a manual transmission driver before this. It's no sports car (like my old Impreza), but it is generally comfortable, smooth-riding, relatively quiet and it handles pretty well for the SUV that it is. It's an excellent family-sized vehicle and a great value.
Favorite Features
AWD, heated seats, self-dimming mirrors, smooth quiet ride, external visibility, CVT transmission performance, Blue Tooth performance, gas mileage, power, back-up camera, tinted side and rear windows
Suggested Improvements
I have a minor annoyance regarding driver seating comfort. When driving in a relaxed position with my left leg resting against the door, my knee hits a sharp corner, and I can't avoid it by adjusting the seat. The seat provides no side cushion support, so when going through corners, I find my leg pressing against the door for support, and after awhile this actually hurts. The front seats in a Forester are smaller and less supportive than the seats in an Impreza, and this is unfortunate. The "angle of approach" is too low for a vehicle of this type. (The CrossTrek is slightly worse.) It practically assures nose-dragging in rough situations and makes the vehicle look "jowly" and nose-heavy.