2012 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Second Forester is a Charm

2012 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2.5X 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Second Forester is a Charm
By majort on

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 05 Forester 2.5X auto for a 2012 2.5X Premium and what a great, positive improvement. The low entry of the 05 was difficult for me but the new one's higher stance, bigger doors and higher (power) seat make entry/exit much easier for this senior driver. The power seat provides a variety of very comfortable positions. Love the all weather package; up here in Alaska the heated seats, side mirrors and windshield wipers make 6 months of winter a little easier to take. I appreciate the framed windows after the 05's frameless mess. Much quieter and tighter feeling all around. Very happy choice.

Favorite Features

Handles well, little leaning, tight suspension, solid brakes. Quiet for a SUV. Great seats, comfortable; the power drivers seat is excellent. A like the looks of this little SUV, just the right size for me, wife and Scottish Terrier.

Suggested Improvements

The Forester needs an updated auto transmission, either 5 or 6 speed or CVT. The old 4 speed auto is solid but dated and fuel economy could be better. Seems to an awful lot of ditzy warning lights, buttons and functions that intimidate me a little at this point as a new owner.