Used 2002 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

SE-R Spec V < the sum of it's parts
90,225 of 90,226 people found this review helpful
By Brandon Apmann

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car spanking new and enjoyed its strong engine with gobs of torque (for 2.5 liters), loved the limited slip differential, lots of grip from the tires and suspension. I was excited to finally own a new car I could pamper and keep minty fresh. Well, the honeymoon didn't last very long. From day one, literally, I kept fresh (every 3,000 miles) Mobil 1 oil in it, but despite my efforts, the car burnt more oil than any car I've ever owned, 2quarts every oil change. Also at about 30k to 40K the car lost a lot of power, started blowing black smoke which made it impossible to keep the bumper clean. Also, the clear coat started to peel @ 50K, making the car quite ugly.

The strong engine (for the first 30k) and LSD. The car had lots of nice options, which was nice, however, I would've appreciated a "reliable engine" option or maybe a "paint stays on the car" option. That would be nice, although those things should be included at no cost. I did like the interior tho.

Better paint, an engine that doesn't burn oil, better customer service from Nissan for those of us who paid for a bad product. I will not purchase another product from Nissan, new or used. This car was a disappointment.

Problem-free
By BWheel

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this vehicle (GXE w/ cruise control package) from 2001-2008 and through 180K miles only recently showed problems (oil leakage). Prior to that, only repairs needed were for leaking AC (2 times), blocked radiator and oil leak. None of these occurred within the first 100K miles. Car provided 30 mpg this year. For the price, great car.

Decent acceleration on GXE.

None

Love it
By maci805

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Sentra GXE 6 years ago. It has been great to me so far. I have had nothing go wrong with it and has been extremely reliable. The car saved my life when I was in an accident. I came out alive and in one piece-which meant that the Sentra did its job. It is far from a luxury vehicle, but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a safe and reliable vehicle.

Not Reliable
By Not Reliable

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only 85k miles. Sentra has mechanical problems. Recent dealer service quote: “will need to replace head gasket, valve cover seal, front crank seal, exhaust manifold gasket, and the intake gasket and all spark plugs. Drive belts are heavily cracked. Timing chain stretched needs tensioner and guides.” Past issues: Oil dip stick broke resulting in removal of oil pan with NTB and dealer service pointing fingers. Brake calipers malfunctioning causing abnormal pad wear and short rotor life on left front. After +$2,000 in repairs, the Sentra just is not worth it. Have owned a Geo Storm, Honda Accord, Chevy Blazer, Ford Mustang, and Jeep Cherokee. All lasted +130k miles.

None. Lack of quality makes competitors more appealing.

Drive train quality.

Fun and reliable
By Dave

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 Sentra with 25 miles on it. I now has 140,000 and has only seen the shop for tires, brakes, and oil. It gets wonderful gas mileage with the 1.8 L 4 cyl but the car is light weight enough that it is peppy and fun. The only downsides are the seats are not that comfortable for long rides and it could definitely be quieter at highway speeds.

7 speaker stereo, quick, reliable and great gas mileage.

Lots of road and wind noise at higher speeds. Seats are not that comfortable for long trips.