Used 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

never again will i buy nissan
By dukebdevil08

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

had this car for two years and from the beginning I had to replace the ecu withing three months.had to replace the 02 sensor twice.had to replace the fuel pump and the transmission control module..spent more time having repairs done on the car than I had driving it..these cars have had major recalls on them and mine had three which were for the airbag,the butterfly bolts on the cat back and the ecu..now I own a mazda and I love it..sorry Nissan but never again will I ever buy one of your vehicles..

Owning my Nissan Sentra Se R
By loraine boney

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car brand new in 2002. Oil changes were done every 5,000 miles. I did have some trouble with the way the alternator was wired, and also trouble with a sensor. The car would not move when stepping on the gas, even while driving. The emission control needed replaced, but was just under an 8 yr. warranty. I drove the car until 2010 and my daughter drives it now.

Favorite Features

reliability, fun to drive.Car sets lower to ground and was easy for me to get in and out, but not for larger people.

Suggested Improvements

A regular rim and tire for spare, shocks, instead of struts.

Major Issues After 60k - Lemon
By AtlGirl3929

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Nissan thinking the brand was on par with Honda and Toyota...boy, was I wrong. I have never had as many problems with an automobile as I have with this car. When it was still under warranty, I had minor issues. Past 65k...I've had the A/C break twice, normal issues, but the best are the well documented problems with the catalytic converter, pre-cat, and 'recall' Nissan claims they performed on the 02 2.5L engines of this model. Bottom line: Nissan lies, the pre-cat never gets fixed, will fall apart, get sucked into your engine in small bits, mingle with your oil, and slowly eat your engine from the inside out. STAY AWAY!!

Favorite Features

Can be fun to drive, great pickup, turn radius, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Uh. How about Nissan not knowingly selling the consumer a vehicle with $2k a year + problems after 60k miles?

Love My Car!
By LuvMySE-R

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SE-R brand-new from the dealer in 2002. I just rolled 50,000 miles on the odometer this morning on my way to work. I have had NO major problems with the car at all. It handles well and still has most of its zip after six and a half years. Most of my 50,000 miles have been city miles, going to and from work, shopping, etc. But I do take it on the highway several times a week and the little thing still has enough power to run with the big boys. The only issues so far have been minor/routine/cosmetic and I have not had to dump any extra money into it at all. We'll see what happens now that the extended warranty is up!

Favorite Features

Looks great. Runs great. Good power, fun to drive, decent mileage (~26 mpg), very affordable. Has been a very reliable automobile. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off!

Suggested Improvements

Speaking of wheels... The tires are very expensive to replace. Expect to spend $150 to $200 per tire for new Firehawks. Also, the backseat is pretty cramped for adults. Other than that... I have no complaints! I love my car!

A Nice Little Package
By SHIFT_COOL

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car last month and I am actually shocked how much I like this car. It wasn't my first choice but ended up with it because of price. Well I consider myself lucky because this car is a blast to drive. It's like driving a go cart as it hugs the turns very nicely. With this very taught suspension you do sacrifice a smooth ride. It does not handle the bumps very well at all but you won't be too disappointed when you see how this baby handles. It has plenty of trunk space for me and my buddies' golf clubs. It gets around town with decent gas mileage and highway miles aren't bad either (23/27). It has wonderful get up and go and you will love zipping around the traffic.

Favorite Features

The wonderful handling and 2.5 liter engine dropped in this little pocket rocket.

Suggested Improvements

Could tighten up some of the squeaks and rattles.