2000 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
It has 200,000km and lady-driven (which also means lady-maintained...lol).
By avroarrow on 04/22/11 19:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a family member for $1000 so the price was right but it did need a lot of TLC. Things that I've replaced so far: CAT at manifold, knock sensor, MAF sensor, 02 sensor, rad, complete rear brakes. Other problems: Leaking A/C system (hopefully I've fixed that) wiring defect in the spoiler light (I'll fix that soon). The oil filter is impossible to change without putting the car on a hoist, over a pit or on jack stands/ramps. The PCV valve is hidden under the intake manifold and will require hours to change. The shifter light also needs replacing. If I wasn't a DIYer, I'd be broke, but I am a DIYer and now that I've done these repairs, it will go another 200,000km for sure.

Expected more from a Nissan
By jp on 08/30/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Disappointed in Nissan quality. I have own Nissan's and Honda's in the past and all were better than this model. I bought the vehicle used with 44k mi. I have had nothing but trouble since. Luckily, I purchased the extended warranty to 100k offsetting some cost. Had problems with A/C elec. module, tie-rods, ball- joints...had to replace a freaking motor mount! Had to replace oxygen sensors, water-pump, recently, the valve cover gasket and intake manifold. Interior seats rattle, door trim & sunroof trim comes off. I kept this car well maintained and it just continued to show its poor craftsmanship. I have 120k mi. now and plan in dumping it. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda.

Great Car
By Jan F on 04/28/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

My car currently has 205,000 miles. Have replaced the alternator twice. I don't think the 1st one was that good, but hopefully the second one will be better. My mechanic tells me the car is still in great shape - not leaking any oil or anything. I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the reliability and dependability of this car. I have driven a lot of highway miles on it and I think that has helped emensely.

Not the best experience
By Mark on 11/07/09 13:53 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 84,000 miles. At 125,000 miles the power steering pump went out, the radiator was cracked and needed to be replaced, and I was getting a low oil pressure light going off. After a week in the shop they discovered little pieces of metal in my oil pump and in my oil pan. Apparently something came loose and essential ruined the motor. Prior to this slew of issues I never had a problem and enjoyed the car as a simple point A to point B type of vehicle. Maybe I was just unlucky, don't know. You can get these cars pretty cheap compared to the competition, and it's probably worth the gamble, but I had a bad experience.

My Altima
By K on 10/23/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th Nissan. I go back to Datsun 1967. My Altima is acting strange - warning lights go on & off, and doors lock and unlock. The automatic/remote door lock device has never worked well. Also, the air conditioner keeps leaking.

Great Reliable Car
By JimDee on 10/04/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 43000 miles. Almost 8 years later and at 143000, the car still runs great. Has always started up. It has only required basic maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, lights). It is a stick and gets 30mpg in town, 35 mpg highway. I'm so satisfied with this vehicle, I'm looking to get another Altima.

Fun & Reliable
By Sheri on 07/09/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Altima new and have loved it since day one! In 1999 I drove a rental on a business trip and fell in love--otherwise I never would have noticed this car. At 150,000 miles I spent some money to replace water pump and radiator, but other than that I have had almost no repair work done on this very reliable car. After 10 years, I'm still comfortable taking the car on long road trips and it looks great! The engine is great with 1 or 2 passengers, sluggish with the AC on or with a carload--what do you expect from a 2.0L engine?

Happy Altima owner.
By Ram Zavala on 06/20/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 43000 miles on it back in September 01 and have since put in over 100k miles. Other the the usual wear and tear it has been a very reliable vehicle. I have done regular maintenance on it: replaced starter, brakes,alternator etc but otherwise it has been such a good car that I can't seem to part with it.

By JCH on 06/08/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

it has been enjoyable. The only items that have been replaced on this vehicle in the nearly 9 years of ownership, are normally replaceable items. It has been a very solid performer. I have no regrets.

BEWARE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET .....
By former nissan lover on 03/09/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

Was very happy right up til recently when my air intake manifold gasket was found to be leaking, causing the car to have a rough idle and possibly burn the #4 cylinder due to an engine hotspot. Great. Engine light will come on, and repair bill will be around $800, as it is an 8-9 hour job my Nissan dealer told me, and will happen again and again as the hot spot in the engine causing the burning is not able to be fixed.