Used 2000 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

It has 200,000km and lady-driven (which also means lady-maintained...lol).
By avroarrow

2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a family member for $1000 so the price was right but it did need a lot of TLC. Things that I've replaced so far: CAT at manifold, knock sensor, MAF sensor, 02 sensor, rad, complete rear brakes. Other problems: Leaking A/C system (hopefully I've fixed that) wiring defect in the spoiler light (I'll fix that soon). The oil filter is impossible to change without putting the car on a hoist, over a pit or on jack stands/ramps. The PCV valve is hidden under the intake manifold and will require hours to change. The shifter light also needs replacing. If I wasn't a DIYer, I'd be broke, but I am a DIYer and now that I've done these repairs, it will go another 200,000km for sure.

I know that I painted a rather grim picture but the car is really a great car. This one suffered from an automotive-ignorant owner. The ride is second to none, the power is amazing and it is matched by the car's awesome handling. The interior is very comfortable and roomy enough for 4 adults, 5 if they're not whiners. The trunk is very spacious and doesn't require those stupid hatch struts that wear out and cost a fortune. The air filter is probably Nissan's greatest triumph. It's the same CA4309 (Fram part number) that fits every other Nissan made over a span of 15 years or so. As a result, it's dirt cheap and more common than the air filter of a Cavalier.

1) Dumbest thing ever: No remote trunk release. 2) Put the oil filter and PCV valve in a not so impossible to reach location. 3) Stop using those stupid plastic guards under the front of the car. They make it hard to work on. 4) Give it 16" wheels at least. 5) Stop using clear-coat that peels off of the spoiler. 6) The styling...proves that drug-use was very common in California in the late 90s. I'd say that 80% of the car is beautiful...until you get to the back and then you have a "WTH were they thinking?" moment. Mine's not so bad because I have the spoiler to make it look more normal but I've seen others without it and the shape of the trunk is just hideous.

Expected more from a Nissan
By jp

2000 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan

Disappointed in Nissan quality. I have own Nissan's and Honda's in the past and all were better than this model. I bought the vehicle used with 44k mi. I have had nothing but trouble since. Luckily, I purchased the extended warranty to 100k offsetting some cost. Had problems with A/C elec. module, tie-rods, ball- joints...had to replace a freaking motor mount! Had to replace oxygen sensors, water-pump, recently, the valve cover gasket and intake manifold. Interior seats rattle, door trim & sunroof trim comes off. I kept this car well maintained and it just continued to show its poor craftsmanship. I have 120k mi. now and plan in dumping it. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda.

Poorly designed sunglass compartment that knocks the rear-view mirror out of adjustment when opened.

Better quality

Great Car
By Jan F

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

My car currently has 205,000 miles. Have replaced the alternator twice. I don't think the 1st one was that good, but hopefully the second one will be better. My mechanic tells me the car is still in great shape - not leaking any oil or anything. I have to say I have been extremely pleased with the reliability and dependability of this car. I have driven a lot of highway miles on it and I think that has helped emensely.

Reliability & dependability

Not the best experience
By Mark

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 84,000 miles. At 125,000 miles the power steering pump went out, the radiator was cracked and needed to be replaced, and I was getting a low oil pressure light going off. After a week in the shop they discovered little pieces of metal in my oil pump and in my oil pan. Apparently something came loose and essential ruined the motor. Prior to this slew of issues I never had a problem and enjoyed the car as a simple point A to point B type of vehicle. Maybe I was just unlucky, don't know. You can get these cars pretty cheap compared to the competition, and it's probably worth the gamble, but I had a bad experience.

Low price

better fuel economy

My Altima
By K

2000 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th Nissan. I go back to Datsun 1967. My Altima is acting strange - warning lights go on & off, and doors lock and unlock. The automatic/remote door lock device has never worked well. Also, the air conditioner keeps leaking.

Came with 2 remote locks, even though 1 worked only for 1 year.

Electrical - problems in 2 of my cars.