Used 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

First non diesel since '95
By sarkinen

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Rock solid SUV! It's the first vehicle my wife may admit is better than her audi Q7 tdi. The designo interior is amazing. I thought the radar guided cruise would be a joke, but I love it. With direct fuel injection and two turbos, my diesel days may well be over. 510pound-feet of torque wait at LOW rpm to effortlessly pull any load.

Favorite Features

Pulls a 20' boat like a freight train, accelerates like our audi S4.

Suggested Improvements

The DVD player is horrible. It is so grainy and fuzzy I can't bear to watch it. The 3rd row access a bit tricky for my 8/9 year olds....I was under the impression the 550 was power access?

GL450 Electronics problems continue!!!!
By fwg

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have experienced seemingly unending electronic failure issues with only 5,000 miles on vehicle: Failure to go into sleep mode causing dead battery;towed to dealer 200 mi. away, MB refused to return to my location; When vehicle is locked, one door, although locked, causes alarm and will open if handle is touched, even if EasyGo key is not present; Adaptive High Beam headlight failure; Rear tailgate opens with driver door occasionally; When spraying the car with water, while washing, doors lock and unlock continually if you have key in pocket; circuit board replaced, issue continues- another appt. made Where is the quality control?

Favorite Features

Great handling, rides like a sedan. Seats 7 easily.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control needs to be improved. Dealer/MB support is lacking when not in major city close to a dealer.

Big, But Refined
By scottque

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Ordered the 450 in February and took delivery in April, convenience 2 and heavily optioned but skipped the off-road stuff, automatic cruise, panoramic roof, and lane-assist. Would have ordered the diesel but dealers steered me clear given biodiesel content in Illinois - no complaints with the V-8; sounds great. This is not, however, a car that cries to be driven fast - big (which is why I bought it), heavy vehicle. Awesome for interstate cruising or tooling around town. Very quiet; smooth ride, although I hate the numb electronic steering. Great styling inside and out. Command system works fine for me, extremely comfortable, lots of convenience features. As good as advertised.

Favorite Features

Park assist is fantastic; if you parallel park much, you should try it - saves your rims from scraping the curve, and the big vehicle has some blind spots (wish I would have got the blind-spot detection). Love the vented, massaging seats. Auto headlight package is very convenient and works well - bright, safe, looks great. I love the lighted running boards and interior ambient lighting at night. Great stereo. Commanding view of road; you just feel good driving this.

Suggested Improvements

Need more speeds than on/off for rear wiper - as it gets a lot of water on rear window. Steering really is numb, as all of the press writes about. Wish second row seats adjusted. These are mostly minor items (steering aside).

The S class of SUV's
By nowake

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Just took delivery of my wife's GL 450 and I am blown away by how quiet, solid and comforting this vehicle is. It really rivals the S class. When I test drove a lesser equipped vehicle I liked how well the vehicle performed. I loaded this vehicle out and I am not sure why but the vehicle is even nicer than I remember. Acceleration is adequate, braking is superb and the ride is awesome. Looked at all the competing models but kept coming back to Mercedes. The price does escalate as you add options as it does with others. If you are in the market for an SUV you owe it to yourself to at least give the GL some consideration.

Favorite Features

Loaded. Wouldn't do anything different

Suggested Improvements

None

2013 GL550
By jpk112

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

At the end of October 2012 we traded in my wife’s 2008 Mercedes 4matic (station wagon) for a new Mercedes 2013 GL550. We love the exterior design of the car and the flexibility on the interior design with the third row seats. The acceleration of the car is incredible-no problem merging onto the freeway or passing. Gas mileage is not the cars strong suit but I did not expect it to be. Now the bad, at 4000 miles the car needs new front rotors which are not yet a stocking item at my dealership-10 day wait! A In addition both side view mirrors are defective-drivers side is frosted and the passenger’s side has two stripped bolts off its backing plate.

Favorite Features

Engine and third row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of the car, stock parts at the dealership! Also I find the electric steering to be numb-kind of like driving my father’s old 1971 Oldsmobile Tornado!