Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Low Profile Wheels=Lots of Trouble!
By arecktenwald

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We've had our Mazda 5 for 5 years now and have put three full sets of tires on it and at least 2 other random replacements- and it only has 95k miles on it- all highway. The low profile wheels don't last and are fairly expensive to replace. In addition, our transmission gave out in year 2 and had to be completely replaced (luckily all covered by the warranty). Also, the wheel alignment is not great (perhaps lending to the massive tire consumption) nor are the shocks at this point. So the ride is less than smooth. The first two years we LOVED the car, but it certainly has not aged well.

Favorite Features

third row seating and dual sliding side doors

very good car for small family
By dandepriest

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. Howeve

Favorite Features

fuel economy, utility, reliability, reasonable comfort

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps more adjustability for the driver's seat and powered adjustment would be great for us old guys.

Great little van
By dharbin

2008 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have almost 100K miles on the 5 -- purchased with 42K in 2011, and we have put almost 20K a year on it since. It's been reliable and economical to operate, and adequate for our family of 5 (including 3 young girls). A little tight for the several road trips we have taken (several times to Chicago, Connecticut and Florida), but a rooftop box solves the space problem. Fuel economy ranges from 23 in town to 30 on the highway (driving at 70 without cargo box.) Overall average of 25 mpg, usually with 3 kids inside.

Favorite Features

Completely reliable since we have owned it. Economical and smooth to operate, with an agile feel while driving. Sliding doors are light enough for our girls to operate most of the time. Great visibility out the front. Strong lighting from headlights. Versatile interior. Good looking when it is clean -- the LED taillights, low-profile wheels and tires, and overall lines look more sophisticated than your typical crossover/family truckster.

Suggested Improvements

If you are wide of girth, this isn't the car for you. I'm comfortable (I am 5'10" and 175 lbs), but larger folks will notice that the seats are small. We have encountered some of the groaning suspension noises, but independent mechanic can't find a problem -- the noises are just an occasional nuisance. Power is modest on the highway, though the engine is smooth. Stability control only became standard in 2010 -- not available before -- the 2010 models are the one to have. OEM tires should be better quality -- the replacement Continental DWS tires that I installed were much more refined and durable. I would have loved a diesel option for better fuel economy.

Suprisingly fun to drive van!
By tristanboy

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car used. Currently around 34,000 miles. Averaging around 24 mpg mixed. Car has a decent amount of pep for around town, lacking in passing power. Responsive 5-speed auto, with manual control. Love the space for 6, although if all seats are up there is small cargo space behind the third row. Clever packaging and storage with the huge glovebox and flip open second row bottoms. Love the armrests. Steering feel is lively. A bit of wind noise at highway speeds. Beware of suspension problems with the 5. I have noticed some creaking, look into it before buying.

Favorite Features

Great space. Practical sliding doors. Maneuverable and not too big. Great sightlines. Respectful of gas. I find the look to be rather attractive for a van.

Suggested Improvements

I personally thinks it looks better than the current 5. Hopefully, when the new 5 will look much better. Add the Skyactiv engine from the 3 to get better gas mileage. Overall, very good van.

Transmission failed at 65,000 miles
By melissad1

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2008 Mazda5 two years ago. It has been a fairly decent car, good interior space and gas mileage. Recently, the AT light came on. I took it to our local reliable mechanic. The car now needs a new transmission. I called and pleaded our case with the local Mazda dealership and with Mazda US. Neither of them will do anything to help us. They won't even offer discounted parts. It is ridiculous that the transmission would fail at 65,000 miles. It is even more ridiculous that Mazda doesn't stand behind their cars. I cannot recommend that anyone purchase this car or any Mazda for that matter.