Used 2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

I love my car!
By lovemycar

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Every time I drive my car, I feel like it is the first time I have driven it--and this is after owning it for over two years! I am a student, and this car was very affordable for me. It has everything I wanted in a car--safety, handling, comfortability, peppy engine, good gas mileage, fun to drive, great features inside and out, easy to maintain/ not very costly. It makes me feel great, safe, and very pleased with my purchase. I would not trade this car in for anything!!

Favorite Features

This model has all the features of a more expensive car, but without the price tag. I love the sporty look and the exterior design. This car has enough room in it to fit 5 adults comfortably. My favorite features are the safety airbags, the adjustable driver seat and steering column; zoom zoom!

Suggested Improvements

Not too many complaints, though, I wish it did get better gas mileage. I average about 24-28mpg city/highway miles. The best mpg it got was 31mpg driving only highway miles.

Awesome.
By poulain145

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my blue, automatic, S Hatch for over a year and I absolutely love it. It is by far my favorite vehicle that I have ever had. I love the styling, and the roomy interior. The quality of the interior is very nice, and the car gives a very smooth ride. I don't have the road noise problem that some people have complained about. It's far more quiet than the Corolla I had before. I drove this car from Phoenix to San Diego in July and it was great. I must say that insurance on this vehicle is a bit expensive when compared to the Toyota I had before. One complaint that I have is that the air pressure gauge light is always coming on and I find myself putting air in my tires a lot.

Favorite Features

Automatic transmission (although no one else seems to have it) is very smooth. Steering wheel controls, color of the vehicle (cobalt blue), interior, folding seats. And all the compliments I get! This seems to me the closest to a luxury car one can get for under $20k.

Suggested Improvements

The AC is a bit weak in the Arizona heat. The temperature of the air is never what it says it is and it's either way too cold or too warm, with no middle. The gas mileage is definitely not what is advertised. I don't think I've ever gotten over 26 miles per gallon, and that's on a good week.

Love my zoom zoom
By Lyn

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first researched, haggled and purchased car of my own and I couldn't be happier. I love driving my car and that fact that I'm not worried about things falling apart or repairs that need to be done. It's never been recalled (like cars I've owned in the past.) I would love to keep this car forever, but with a new man and two additional kids to my already two, it doesn't fit all six of us. I will be very sad to say goodbye when that time comes.

Favorite Features

I love the dash light colors, exterior brilliant blue paint, excessive cargo room in rear hatchback and wipe off cloth interior seats.

Suggested Improvements

I really wish I could fit one more seat in the back, but I guess that what upgrading to the CX9 is for.

Fun and Practical
By StanleyD

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 5-door hatch makes excellent use of interior space. I can carry my bicycle inside along with enough luggage for two people. Seats and controls are excellent. Optional leather seats are great. Gearing is a bit too short so its easy to chirp front wheels when starting with manual trans. Back seat is comfortable for two. Acceleration is snappy but runs out of power at high speeds. Gas mileage is a disappointment. I have averaged 23.5 mpg in 10,900 miles of mostly suburban driving. It was rated at 26 city, 32 hwy. Completely reliable. I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Very smooth clutch and gearbox. Save $800 and 50 lbs and get the stick shift. Interior comfort and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes and tires. Even with 4-wheel discs, stopping distances are just adequate. Better gas mileage. Better rearward vision.

Great car
By vaibhav

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to have as compared to Civic. Much better in handling and interiors are of superior quality. Its like a mini-Mercedes for $18k.

Favorite Features

Interior, pick-up and handling.

Suggested Improvements

AC.